Kintetsu to introduce new commuter rolling stock autumn 2024

bikkuri bahn

First time in 24 years that new commuter rolling stock will be introduced. 10 sets of 4 car formations, for a total of 40 carriages.  Initial assignments are Kyoto, Nara, Tenri, Kashihara Lines. Seating will be the rotatable longitudinal/transverse type (called the l/c system). 

Kintetsu press release:

https://www.kintetsu.co.jp/all_news/news_info/sinngatasyaryou.pdf

Norimono news with Gami:

• Like 2

Wings.  I guess there's good reason but I still haven't warmed up to them.  Maybe it's just my perception but Kintetsu seems to have many different types in fairly small numbers, even when considering their mixed network of 1067mm and 1435mm gauge. 

disturbman

At first I thought it was a new express. Is this going to replace/displace anything on those lines, or is it purely for capacity increase? A batch of 10 is a small number.

https://www.kintetsu.co.jp/all_news/news_info/sinngatasyaryou.pdf

3 hours ago, miyakoji said:

Wings.  I guess there's good reason but I still haven't warmed up to them.

Fall prevention system for multiple formation runs. I'm still curious if the number of unintentional falls requested such a generalization of those systems. Can't have been very high.

Actually the wings are to sell more model trains.   After we all buy the version without the wings then we have to buy them again when they come out with the wing version.

Of course, then railways like Kintetsu would feel left out so even if there is no earlier release without wings, they have to have them too!

🤣

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, disturbman said:

I'm still curious if the number of unintentional falls requested such a generalization of those systems. Can't have been very high.

Yeah, I remember only one incident, on JR West.  I wonder if platform doors continue to be installed, if they’ll stop installing these.

HankyuDentetsu

Really glad the topic of wings have been brought up. Seems really odd that JR West (and now Kintetsu!) have really doubled down on the wings system - I'm struggling to understand it's usefulness from a practical point of view! 

Seems to me that if neither JR East or Central (or any other private line in Japan for that matter?) has adopted them, then surely their safety benefits must be marginal at best? From an aerodynamic point of view, I can't imagine them doing energy efficiency any favours.

Would love to hear from someone more knowledgeable than me about why we're seeing them in a subset of west Japan only!

Also, Kintetsu's new colour scheme giving me London Underground new Piccadilly Line stock vibes!

disturbman
13 hours ago, HankyuDentetsu said:

I'm struggling to understand it's usefulness from a practical point of view!

As I said upthread: it’s a fall prevention system for trains running in multiple units. I would wager it’s more present on JR Ocean commuter rolling-stock as they operate short trains and couple them together to match demand. Note that these wings are only present on recent rolling-stock and not its JNR legacy trains, such as the 115 or 117 for example.

JR Forest also uses something similar on its KiHa 100 and 110. Keihan has them too on its 2600 series, on trains with mid-consist cab-cars. Fall prevention systems are widely present between cars in the Kanto and Kansai region, even on retrofitted trains.

Seeing their wide-spread use throughout Japan, I do believe it must been government/security body required. But the subject hasn’t interested me enough to do further research.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 5/18/2022 at 7:26 PM, miyakoji said:

Yeah, I remember only one incident, on JR West.  I wonder if platform doors continue to be installed, if they’ll stop installing these.

i can't where I haven't read it because someone fell during coupling?

On 6/6/2022 at 4:52 AM, Englehart said:

i can't where I haven't read it because someone fell during coupling?

I think two separate trains were already coupled.  It was just at the platform and during boarding someone fell in that space.

• Like 1
HankyuDentetsu
On 6/4/2022 at 12:06 PM, disturbman said:

As I said upthread: it’s a fall prevention system for trains running in multiple units. I would wager it’s more present on JR Ocean commuter rolling-stock as they operate short trains and couple them together to match demand. Note that these wings are only present on recent rolling-stock and not its JNR legacy trains, such as the 115 or 117 for example.

JR Forest also uses something similar on its KiHa 100 and 110. Keihan has them too on its 2600 series, on trains with mid-consist cab-cars. Fall prevention systems are widely present between cars in the Kanto and Kansai region, even on retrofitted trains.

Seeing their wide-spread use throughout Japan, I do believe it must been government/security body required. But the subject hasn’t interested me enough to do further research.

Really helpful reply, thank you disturbman. I didn't put 2+2 together and consider the short train/coupling that's common outside of Kanto region.