Japan Travel 2022

Tony Galiani

When I wanted a reserved seat, I just put my railpass paper ticket into the reservation machine and that was it. If you have a paper ticket, just try it

19 hours ago, ShaunField said:

When I wanted a reserved seat, I just put my railpass paper ticket into the reservation machine and that was it. If you have a paper ticket, just try it

Ok, I will try.  But not sure how that would make any difference than just scanning QR.  Maybe that eliminates just copying/sharing the QR.  But you still need to insert both the ticket and pass at the turnstile, so not really a security deterrent.

update: just tried it, no dice.  Just sits there until you scan QR.  one time I was able to insert the ticket, it spit it back out.

5386A043-38CF-43BA-B123-6F95C319FBC3.thumb.jpeg.e8ab55fbb7f32b3e2be3ba16bda3370d.jpeg
82BD8237-7AFA-40DC-A073-02A2CFD0643B.thumb.jpeg.b1a2c9d7efab902aec88ed564d10b002.jpeg

Edited by Bob Martin
7 hours ago, Bob Martin said:

The old way of just showing your trip details off your phone screen to the clerk was never an issue.

Shows how long it's been since I had a JR pass. Back then you got a printed booklet thing that you had to show to the staff by the gate every time, or take into the office to make a Shinkansen reservation.

9 hours ago, mojo said:

Shows how long it's been since I had a JR pass. Back then you got a printed booklet thing that you had to show to the staff by the gate every time, or take into the office to make a Shinkansen reservation.

Not that long ago. That’s the way it was before Japan closed up.  When I was here January 2020 it was still the paper booklet.

13 hours ago, ShaunField said:

To update this morning, your method of inserting ticket into reservation machine actually destroyed the ticket.  As it no longer functions at the turnstiles, and had to be reissued. 

Posted elsewhere but thought I would post again in the hope of getting more feedback.

Struggling with the decision to go to the Sapporo Snow and Ice Festival in February as it looks like it will be on but scaled back.  So it won't be as potentially exciting as it could be - though, on the other hand - who knows what will happen in the future so sort of thinking we should just go for it.  The Otaru Snow Light Path seems to be on as well.

I am thinking a two or three days for Sapporo and Otaru then on to Hakodate for a day or so to go to the top of Mount Hakodate.  On to Tokyo after that.  I think the illuminations in Tokyo will be gone by early February but I think there are enough cultural attractions (translation:  model railway shops) to keep me busy.

Wondering if anyone has suggestions for other things to do or see in early February in Japan.  I would like to have an alternate plan so, if things change after we have committed to go, we can go with a Plan B or C.

It would be hard for me to just cancel simply because my music schedule is so tight right now I don't have a lot of options to go away.  Sort of ironic - I have tons of vacation time but lack flexibility to use it.  Don't know how long the surge in playing opportunities will last - quite frankly, I had thought that live music was not coming back post Covid - so don't want to miss any chances to perform while I can.

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

I am often in Tokyo in early January and the lights are already mostly gone by then, so yeah I wouldn't count on seeing them if you go in February.

There is plenty to do though. For model trains they are a good excuse to visit Yokohama for Imon and the model railway museum. You can do Minatomirai and Motomachi. There is a foreigners cemetery there too, at the bottom of the hill they all built their non-earthquake proof houses on. You can guess what happened...

Here is my map of Hard Off stores: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1xFbbOuLjZZD4Yp_7ttchQhLorvom2yEq&usp=sharing

Most of them have some model trains. Sometimes you can scope them out on Google maps by looking at the user submitted photos. I like visiting them just to travel and visit different places every day. I'll be there in December/January so if you like I'll keep notes on which ones have model train stuff and how much they have. Unfortunately I have little idea about prices and if they are any good, but I'll be posting photos here on my thread and I'll include some prices.

Have you been to the Railway Museum in Omiya? https://www.railway-museum.jp/e/

It's pretty good.

Nakano Broadway has a few model railway shops, you probably know that. Kichijoji is nice to visit. Inokashira Koen is nice even in winter if it's not raining, and the shopping areas a good too. To the west of the station, on the north side of the tracks, there are lots of little independent shops.

Hobby Center Kato is worth a visit. For shopping there is Aeon Lake Town, which has a massive shopping centre and then two sub-shopping centres that have outlet shops. Shimo-Kitazawa is very trendy for shops too.

Of course there is Tokyo Disney - I recommend Disney Sea, I though it was better than Disney Land. I wouldn't normally go myself but I enjoyed it. There's also Sanrio Puroland.

• Thanks 1

Unless you REALLY like the cold and snow, I can’t think of anything more miserable than Sapporo in the winter. Just the thought of traveling with all the extra clothes/boots/etc seems burdensome. It’s 18° here in Tokyo now, and wearing a mask with eyeglasses is no treat (the anti fog stuff doesn’t work or last very long). Sapporo winter would wreak havoc.

Many Xmas illuminations in Tokyo cease Dec 25, but a few still linger. As it’s on to New Years stuff at that point. 

Well, my wife is Canadian and constantly complains about the heat when we travel anywhere that is even slightly warm.  Last year we went to her home town in January and the fog on my glasses actually froze one day!  I will admit I am not keen on the extra gear needed but I am used to it now.  Though it will challenge my no checked bags rule when we fly if we do end up going.  Heading to Germany in a few weeks and then Canada in December so prepping for the cold.

Ciao,

Tony

• Like 1

Fair enough. I lived in the snow for first half my life.  I don’t miss it one bit.  I live in a desert region now and much prefer that. Haven’t seen snow in over 10 years now.

I have a fantasy of moving to a sun drenched Greek island - but then my wife and I would need separate houses - one for me in Greece and one for her in Canada!

45 minutes ago, Tony Galiani said:

Well, my wife is Canadian and constantly complains about the heat when we travel anywhere that is even slightly warm. 

Anywhere near the Great Lakes in Canada can be unbearably hot when its humid in summer. Its 26 and feels like 35-40.

18 hours ago, Bob Martin said:

Unless you REALLY like the cold and snow, I can’t think of anything more miserable than Sapporo in the winter. Just the thought of traveling with all the extra clothes/boots/etc seems burdensome. It’s 18° here in Tokyo now, and wearing a mask with eyeglasses is no treat (the anti fog stuff doesn’t work or last very long). Sapporo winter would wreak havoc.

Many Xmas illuminations in Tokyo cease Dec 25, but a few still linger. As it’s on to New Years stuff at that point. 

I've got an appointment for contact lenses next week. I tried once before but couldn't get them in. This time I'm much more motivated to try.

I worry too much to get laser surgery.

Hope it goes well!

Still wear glasses post cataract surgery but the correction is so mild I can function without them.  I have been very distracted lately - this past Thursday, I drove to work and only when I got into my office did I realize I had forgotten to put on my eyeglasses! 

Tony

• Like 2

I arrived in Japan yesterday evening for a one week business trip. I had completed the various passport and vaccination checks last week before flying; the immigration and various checks at Narita airport went smoothly. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, cteno4 said:

Hope you ge to have some fun!

15 customer visits in Tokyo, Shizuoka, Osaka and Kyoto in 5 days, that means a lot of train rides! Here even work is fun! 
Besides, I am aiming for a visit to the Sakatsu store (the brick and mortar one) before flying back on Saturday. 

Marc

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, Madsing said:

I am aiming for a visit to the Sakatsu store (the brick and mortar one) before flying back on Saturday. 

Ooooooh pictures please! Vicarious fun and all…

jeff

• Like 1
On 11/6/2022 at 9:52 AM, mojo said:

I worry too much to get laser surgery.

I worried about it too but then read that the US Navy allowed pilots to get the latest forms (from 10-12 years ago) and fly again within a week.  After hearing that I went to our local best experts who do this sort of thing and scheduled it.  That was 12 years ago.  Best thing I ever did.

(our local expert was one of the doctors who helped run the FDA trials on these machines originally and they keep several different generations and types of machines in their labs to best match your specific needs to the specific machine and its capabilities -- they also run all tests and diagnostics on your eyes/visions twice using two separate sets of diagnostic machines to counter check each other)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, chadbag said:

I worried about it too but then read that the US Navy allowed pilots to get the latest forms (from 10-12 years ago) and fly again within a week.  After hearing that I went to our local best experts who do this sort of thing and scheduled it.  That was 12 years ago.  Best thing I ever did.

(our local expert was one of the doctors who helped run the FDA trials on these machines originally and they keep several different generations and types of machines in their labs to best match your specific needs to the specific machine and its capabilities -- they also run all tests and diagnostics on your eyes/visions twice using two separate sets of diagnostic machines to counter check each other)

My uncle had it about 15 years ago and said it was the best thing he ever did, but he can barely see now. Not exactly sure what the complication was... But yeah I read that newer methods are much more reliable long term.

I wonder if I could get it done cheap in Japan, due to the exchange rate. Obviously don't want the budget option... Joking. Maybe.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, mojo said:

My uncle had it about 15 years ago and said it was the best thing he ever did, but he can barely see now. Not exactly sure what the complication was... But yeah I read that newer methods are much more reliable long term.

I wonder if I could get it done cheap in Japan, due to the exchange rate. Obviously don't want the budget option... Joking. Maybe.

yeah I think you want to get someone who has long term experience and really understands the process if you do it.   I think mine was 13 years ago now that I think of it.  I think my daughter was 1.  

my sight is not as good as it was right after I did it but the deterioration since has been minimal and my sight is still much better than it was before.  I was around 43 at the time.  They did two full work-ups using the making machines (two different sets of different brand machines) to make sure they agreed on what I needed. They also matched me to the procedure machine that best fit my case.  It was not their most expensive machine but not their most inexpensive either).  

basically it requires a lot of research to make sure your provider is up to the task and it’s not worth going the budget route since it’s your eyes.  

• Like 2
7 hours ago, chadbag said:

yeah I think you want to get someone who has long term experience and really understands the process if you do it.   I think mine was 13 years ago now that I think of it.  I think my daughter was 1.  

my sight is not as good as it was right after I did it but the deterioration since has been minimal and my sight is still much better than it was before.  I was around 43 at the time.  They did two full work-ups using the making machines (two different sets of different brand machines) to make sure they agreed on what I needed. They also matched me to the procedure machine that best fit my case.  It was not their most expensive machine but not their most inexpensive either).  

basically it requires a lot of research to make sure your provider is up to the task and it’s not worth going the budget route since it’s your eyes.  

That's the other reason I have reservations. The glasses I'm wearing are a prescription from 2014. I've had eye tests since then, but the new prescriptions are never as good as the 2014 one. The only thing that really helped since then was getting a 4k monitor to make text a bit more legible.

I'll see how it goes with the contact lenses, but I have a feeling they won't be able to get the right prescription.

• Like 1