Japan Travel 2022

Tony Galiani

The highlights...

1. From 7 of September.

2. No pcr test needed if from blue country plus 3x jabbed.

3. Can do unguided tours. I explained how/why this works in a earlier post.

4. PM hinted this stage may be quicker than previous.

Seems they wanna be open for Koyo. But just don't wanba confirm it just yet.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1

I've been going through the process though Japan Guide Agency Inc. It's been pretty painless so far. They send back the ESRF within a day, and after requesting more documents, they got back to me the day after. I can set my own itenary and send that to my local embassy to get a visa. Hopefully it all goes quickly, as I fly out on the 30th!

• Like 2

I'm surprised there wasn't more reaction to this, I figured a lot of people were just waiting for the news so they could book flights ASAP. Not complaining or anything, just not what I expected.

I was lucky to have been there in January 2020. It will be nearly 3 years by the time I go in December. Made me realize I need to make it permanent.

My last trip was Jan 2020 as well.  I had gambled and booked hotels back in April, for a November trip.  The gamble paid off, rooms booked were ¥58,000/night then, and are now ¥81,000.  i booked plane ticket 2 weeks ago as a hedge as well.  Looks like it’s all coming together finally. Just have to order my JR Pass now.

I was thinking about getting a JR pass... You used to have to show them to the staff which was embarrassing, but it looks like now you can put the pass in the ticket gate. But the price is 66,200 yen for the normal one for 21 days, which seems like quite a lot if you aren't planning to use the Shinkansen several times. My trip is 29 days too.

I wish I had kept records of my spending last time, then it would be easier to know if it was worth it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mojo said:

I was thinking about getting a JR pass... You used to have to show them to the staff which was embarrassing, but it looks like now you can put the pass in the ticket gate. But the price is 66,200 yen for the normal one for 21 days, which seems like quite a lot if you aren't planning to use the Shinkansen several times. My trip is 29 days too.

I wish I had kept records of my spending last time, then it would be easier to know if it was worth it.

Two long trips and the pass pays for itself.  I always get 3 week green pass. I’ll even just hop on the train and go to Nagoya or Saitama (form Tokyo) for lunch or dinner.  I log all my train trips one vacation I logged ¥410,000 worth (11,000km) on the Shinkansen alone.  Im sure a few more ¥10,000’s on JR local and commuter trains. Even used it on JR ferry one time.  Pretty good value for a $600 pass.  I wish the pass could be used on JR highway buses.

I have NO issue showing it to the attendant.  Just those damn unmanned stations that bother me. Had to hop the turnstile one time.

530FAB3E-7460-4D62-BBD9-F52D7FE346E8.thumb.jpeg.4d1389be67c5b7af0049ccf9957298f5.jpeg

Edited by Bob Martin
7 hours ago, mojo said:

I'm surprised there wasn't more reaction to this, I figured a lot of people were just waiting for the news so they could book flights ASAP. Not complaining or anything, just not what I expected.

I was lucky to have been there in January 2020. It will be nearly 3 years by the time I go in December. Made me realize I need to make it permanent.

We're going in November. We started booking it a few weeks ago when things were looking positive for opening.

The price is right currently. We have a hotel in Tokyo for a few nights at a rate in Yen just over half of what we paid in 2019. Then taking into account the weak Yen at the moment, it is a real bargain.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Bob Martin said:

Two long trips and the pass pays for itself.  I always get 3 week green pass. I’ll even just hop on the train and go to Nagoya or Saitama (form Tokyo) for lunch or dinner.  I log all my train trips one vacation I logged ¥410,000 worth (11,000km) on the Shinkansen alone.  Im sure a few more ¥10,000’s on JR local and commuter trains. Even used it on JR ferry one time.  Pretty good value for a $600 pass.  I wish the pass could be used on JR highway buses.

I have NO issue showing it to the attendant.  Just those damn unmanned stations that bother me. Had to hop the turnstile one time.

My understanding is that you get a ticket you can put in the gate now, like it shows here...

https://japanrailpass.net/en/useful.html

It works out at ~3,150 yen a day for the standard pass. I've had a look at some of the trips I did back in 2020 and I don't think I would come out on top. Some days I exceeded that, but most days I spent less than 3k yen on trains. Maybe I could take some more Shinkansen trips. I'd like to visit Niigata, and Nagoya. Never been to Niigata, and only once to Nagoya.

10 hours ago, maihama eki said:

We're going in November. We started booking it a few weeks ago when things were looking positive for opening.

The price is right currently. We have a hotel in Tokyo for a few nights at a rate in Yen just over half of what we paid in 2019. Then taking into account the weak Yen at the moment, it is a real bargain.

Yes, I was hoping that might be the case for me too. I remember the good old days when you got 240 yen to the pound. Unfortunately the British pound is also worthless at the moment so the rate is only slightly elevated at 155 yen/pound.

Exciting news.  Naturally, taking advantage ofsome oddly reasonable fares and a bunch of Delta eCredits, I just booked a trip to Germany for November so now will have to wait a bit longer to travel to Japan.  However, plans are now back on track for my long desired trip to the Sapporo Snow and Ice Festival - and I expect I will be posting for advice about that in the near future.  In the meantime, I will work on my Germany plans - just how much Himbeer Kuchen can one person eat on a visit?

Looking forward to everyone's trip reports!

Ciao,

Tony

• Like 2

I'm all booked for three weeks at the end of the year. My wife will join me for the last part, so I will get to do some solo exploring. Very excited

Edited by Grant_T
  • Like 1
28 minutes ago, katoftw said:

As much as I am keen to go. Winter isn't a season I want to travel in. So I'll left Xmas pass and then see what's available in 2023.

I love winter in Japan, especially new year. They have some excellent sales too. The weather is mostly dry and not too cold, which is very preferable to being too hot. Provides a nice contrast when bathing outdoors too. Getting to avoid the worst of xmas is a bonus too.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mojo said:

I love winter in Japan, especially new year. They have some excellent sales too. The weather is mostly dry and not too cold, which is very preferable to being too hot. Provides a nice contrast when bathing outdoors too. Getting to avoid the worst of xmas is a bonus too.

I'd like to do a Tokyo shopping / winter illumination / ski trip sometime. But this year would be a rush to organise now with work and kids.  And there is still a lot more non winter stuff I'd like to do.

• Like 1

NHK World news report on the reopening.

I'll be there in December/January. Hope it's not too busy.

Alarmed to see one guy not wearing a mask at the airport, and one woman with her nose poking over the top of hers. Just seems incredible, you are a guest in Japan and can't even wear a mask properly to protect other travellers.

ANA's policy is currently that you must wear a mask on board, but unfortunately they don't seem to be able to mandate that in the airport. A recent poll had 40% of men and 25% of women willing to fly knowing they had COVID with mild symptoms. Unbelievable. Just had my booster but I'll be like the couple about 2/3rds of the way in with my FFP3 mask. I've actually bought about 20 different ones to try out, to find one that is comfortable and easy to don/doff with glasses.

Sorry, didn't mean to rant, but this is huge for me and I don't want to spend a 10+ days in a hotel, but I don't want to delay my trip yet again. December is a good time to visit too.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, mojo said:

NHK World news report on the reopening.

I'll be there in December/January. Hope it's not too busy.

Alarmed to see one guy not wearing a mask at the airport, and one woman with her nose poking over the top of hers. Just seems incredible, you are a guest in Japan and can't even wear a mask properly to protect other travellers.

ANA's policy is currently that you must wear a mask on board, but unfortunately they don't seem to be able to mandate that in the airport. A recent poll had 40% of men and 25% of women willing to fly knowing they had COVID with mild symptoms. Unbelievable. Just had my booster but I'll be like the couple about 2/3rds of the way in with my FFP3 mask. I've actually bought about 20 different ones to try out, to find one that is comfortable and easy to don/doff with glasses.

Sorry, didn't mean to rant, but this is huge for me and I don't want to spend a 10+ days in a hotel, but I don't want to delay my trip yet again. December is a good time to visit too.

Agree with your sentiments 100%. I’ll be flying there in 2 weeks myself.  I find it incredulous that any guest in another country wouldn’t respect their values. I feel that’s why it took Jain so long to reopen, on fears of foreigners not willing to abide. When I travel, I go with two rules. (1) respect the locals and their culture, and (2) don’t do anything to bring shame upon myself or my country.

6 hours ago, Bob Martin said:

When I travel, I go with two rules. (1) respect the locals and their culture, and (2) don’t do anything to bring shame upon myself or my country.

"When in Rome, do as the Romans do."

Edited by Giugiaro
  • Like 1

I am currently looking for February travel to Japan as I have long wanted to go to the Sapporo Snow and Ice Festival.  It is going to take place in 2023 but with a number of restrictions so now I am not so sure - masks required outside at the venues (no big deal for me or my wife), no foreign entries in the ice sculpture competition and no outdoor food stalls.  Now wondering if I should wait another year and go somewhere else in Japan in the Spring.

In any event, still anxious for a trip to Japan - if I wasn't so booked up between music and other travel commitments I would head right over there.

And on a completely irrelevant note, listen to On An Evening In Roma by Dean Martin - the "when in Rome" quote is worked in perfectly in that song!  (We recently started performing it and now I cannot get it out of my head!)

Ciao,

Tony

• Like 2

We have tickets for December (bought last Spring (changeable and refundable)) but have to see how the house project is going and if we are at a stage where I can turn it over to the helper home builder superintendent to cover for me.  We'll have to see how it pans out.

I also have to argue with the airline as they canceled the first hop from SLC to LAX though it appears they now have a SLC - PHX - LAX option on the schedule that they didn't have when they first canceled the first leg.  I'm going to insist they find us a flight to LAX that morning even if it means putting us on a different airline.  They took our money for a service and we made plans based on their promise and to try and re=book now would be much more expensive.  I know, wishful thinking.   But we'll see what happens.  The SLC - PHX- LAX should work I think as an acceptable substitute.

• Like 1

The pandemic really tested the passenger rights rules. In Europe you have quite strong rights, but even so you have to know them because the airlines will try to blag it. Good luck with them.

• Like 1

I don't quite understand why the airlines are so challenging to deal with but it seems to a fact of life nowadays.  Delta has already changed my schedule on my trip to Germany (though not by much thankfully) and on my trip to Greece earlier this year, United cancelled on leg of my return trip.  In neither case did the airline notify me - I have just learned to check my flight reservation every couple of weeks to avoid surprises.

From keeping any eye on various flyer forums, having a suggested alternate routing to request when a flight gets cancelled or changed, can be a big help.  So the fact that you have a possible routing could help, especially since some many of the reservations call staff nowadays are really inexperienced.  When I called United to get my flights sorted out, the woman at the other end was clueless - kept trying to reschedule me on  a flight out of a different airport.  I actually felt sorry for her despite my frustration - when I closed out the call she essentially thanked me for not yelling at her.  And when one of our Delta flights was delayed four hours earlier this year, the flight attendant got on the PA as we approached our destination to thank all the passengers for being nice and not being unpleasant to the flight crew over the delays.

Hope your travel plans get sorted out without too much stress.

Tony

12 hours ago, mojo said:

The pandemic really tested the passenger rights rules. In Europe you have quite strong rights, but even so you have to know them because the airlines will try to blag it. Good luck with them.

In the US we have a thing called the Universal Commercial Code (aka UCC), a set of basic commercial laws, which most of the states use as a basis of their commercial law.  These include certain "rights" that you have in a transaction that can't be "contracted" away.  Things like, if you sell a product that is supposed to do X, it has to do X.  I am not sure how I would attack this problem using the UCC but I would bet there are some angles there that can be used.  We'll see if I need to do that.