Japan Travel 2022

Tony Galiani

Tony Galiani

I have been avoiding buying refundable tickets since the airlines here have been reasonable with cancellations.  I have had to cancel several trips but then was able to, relatively easily, use the credits for future purchases.

This works for me since I tend to travel frequently - I realize it might not work for everyone.

I am wondering what testing or vaccine requirements will be in place when Japan reopens.  Some places have a time limit on when you received your last vaccine shot or booster shot.  A nine month limit seems to be common and I wonder if Japan will do something like that as well.

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

• Like 1

That's an interesting point about vaccines. Different countries have different policies so it would make sense to require visitors to have been vaccinated to the extent that their country allows. I've had 3 and it's not clear if I will be offered a 4th this year. I'd pay for one but it's not an option. My last dose was in December so would expire in early August, based on a 9 month rule.

I guess the other question is how long between getting the vaccine and entering Japan will you need to wait. From memory they said that Pfizer takes a couple of weeks to start being effective.

Tony Galiani

Your memory is correct - and most countries I have checked indicate 14 days from the vaccination date as the minimum before being allowed entry.  I have two international trips set for June and I am regularly checking entry requirements to avoid a potential denied boarding situation - been there, done that.

Tony

Japan let's you in unvaxxed. But cravats exist. Isolation/quaranteen etc etc to begin with pcr tests needed on certain days after arrival.

On 4/27/2022 at 11:44 PM, katoftw said:

You have family in Japan. So you should be able to enter now under the rules created this month. Might get wife in earlier than others.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2022/04/13/national/japan-reopening-parents-foreign-residents/

Yes but technically you aren't supposed to do anything "touristy".   I've heard stories (on the FB group about getting into Japan that @railsquid mentioned a while back) of people being harassed about it by consulates when getting visas and having to "commit" to that.  While we spend a lot of time with family, when you are there for 3 weeks, you also want to go out and do stuff.

Easier to wait until everything is opened up 🙂  Hopefully.

4 hours ago, chadbag said:

Yes but technically you aren't supposed to do anything "touristy".   I've heard stories (on the FB group about getting into Japan that @railsquid mentioned a while back) of people being harassed about it by consulates when getting visas and having to "commit" to that.

For students there is an app they need to download called MySOS which sends location data once a day. It’s not clear whether anyone is really checking this or not. If they have no phone, they have to rent one from one of the providers at the airport. Once the quarantine period ends, it can be deleted.

My wife works at one of the universities and the guidelines for students have to be followed otherwise visas can be revoked. 

Edited by Kamome
4 hours ago, Kamome said:

For students there is an app they need to download called MySOS which sends location data once a day. It’s not clear whether anyone is really checking this or not. If they have no phone, they have to rent one from one of the providers at the airport. Once the quarantine period ends, it can be deleted.

My wife works at one of the universities and the guidelines for students have to be followed otherwise visas can be revoked. 

At least one person reported in the FB group on getting a call when they left their quarantine area.   They were on their way to a testing facility and the nearest one was some ways away and all was good, but at least that person got checked up on.

• Like 1
Tony Galiani

I am curious as to what the final entry rules will be - many countries are now totally relaxing their requirements but thinking Japan might keep more requirements in place than some countries.

In the meantime, I am continuing my planning and currently seeking the answer to the question:  how does Solo Travel Japan and the guy from Tabi Eats find those great hotels for US$50 a night?  With a buffet breakfast!

I know that prices will be a bit less for a single traveler but still  - - the places they stay are in good locations and look great.  And are a much better value than anything I found on my domestic travels.

I can't really complain since I found nice hotels on my last trip to Japan - in Tokyo and Nikko - but I am jealous of the bargains they seem to find.

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

• Like 1

No good guessing requirements. It will all be similarly staggered like other countries, but at slower rates.

Over the past month, there have been multiple assembly men suggesting for borders to begin openning at faster rates. So there is a change in the winds.

Strong bets in place for announcements a week or two after the elections are held.

---

Lots of cheaper hotels if you venture outside the usual tourist locations. I remember researching Toyoko Inn for my last trip. And Fukuoka-Kumamoto-Kagoshima with all 33-50% cheaper than Osaka-Kyoto-Tokyo, as an example.

Also Monday to Thursday nights give a good 20-30% cheaper rate compared to Friday and Saturday nights.

• Like 2
railsquid
On 4/29/2022 at 3:12 PM, chadbag said:

Yes but technically you aren't supposed to do anything "touristy".   I've heard stories (on the FB group about getting into Japan that @railsquid mentioned a while back) of people being harassed about it by consulates when getting visas and having to "commit" to that.  While we spend a lot of time with family, when you are there for 3 weeks, you also want to go out and do stuff.

I had another read through that group as I am considering taking the Squidlet to the UK this summer to see his grandparents, having second thoughts now as I see hotel quarantine is still mandatory if testing postive on entry, and the thought of being stuck for 7 days in a hotel (particularly a Japanese one) with the Squidlet is not one I want to think about. Risk is low but non-neglible, especially as it seems like the UK has basically given up on precautions.

Hi,

I think it would be interesting to add to the conversation my experience with getting a business visa to enter Japan.

The company I work for has an office in Tokyo, and they need me to go there for a couple of days to fix something (I work in IT).

So I went to the Japanese consulate in Italy, with a module I had to fill out with my planned trip details. Then I got my colleague in Tokyo fill out a form online as well which I also had to bring. I gave them the two forms and my passport. The lady went through them, then after 30 seconds said "Ok, come back in three days to pick up the visa", and handed me a receipt I had to bring to get back my passport.

I went back after three days, and now I have the visa. No questions asked.

The visa is valid for 3 months from the issue date. You can enter Japan only once during these three months and stay as long as you need (of course, only for business purpose, of course...).

I was expecting an interview or something, but it was pretty easy to get it. And you don't need to give them exact dates, you can enter whenever you want without having to communicate them.

My trip is scheduled for the end of May, I'll let you know how the immigration process will work. The consulate lady said that the important thing is to get the mySOS app installed and setup with your details and your (hopefully) negative Covid-19 test before entering the country. So you should have a smoother experience.

• Like 5

It's interesting that they keep repeating that they have a cap of 10,000 entries per day, but I was told at the consulate that it doesn't matter when I'll enter Japan with my business visa, so I guess it's just for show.

Also an accessible version for EU people (Yahoo Japan is blocked here):

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2022/05/c56cad852703-urgent-japan-looking-to-accept-foreign-tourists-again-in-june-source.html

• Like 2
Tony Galiani

Can hardly wait to see what those airline tickets will cost!

I won't plan anything until I see a definitive opening but, judging by my experience with tickets for my summer trips, fares will be high.  But maybe not - could it be possible that the airlines, particularly ANA and JAL will be eager to get people back again and may not push fares to the max?  Or at least we can hope that is the case.

Ciao,

Tony

While there is caps, reduced passenger movements and lack of competition, the fares will be high.  I'd expect fares to be much higher before equalizing for the first 6-12 months of opening.

After a more general opening, airlines will have to adjust to meet the increased demand, and that will take a while.  They plan and publish their routes for the next period of time in advance and generally don't react quickly.  That will ensure limited seats for the first bit of time, until they have adjusted their routes and schedules to catch up to the demand.  That means higher prices.

This is why I decided to roll the dice and get tickets for December, hoping that they are more generally open.  I paid about $5500 for 3 adults and 1 14 year old on AA (JAL flights sold by AA codeshare) that are changeable no fee, refundable with a fee.  As I used CC points and not cash I decided it was worth the risk.   Not a bad price compared to what I paid 8-10 years ago but certainly more than I paid on our last 2 flights in 2017 and 2019.  (I forget what the 2015 trip cost).  This flies into KIX and out of ITM.  (SLC - LAX - KIX.  ITM - HND - DFW - SLC).

LevIsJR_EAST_fan

Intro:

Hi guys, today i wanna to talk about future openning Japan for foreigners (spoiler: im not guy, who could visit it, rn)

Main article:

As we know, Japan plans to open it for foreigners and you know situation about Russia and Ukraine. So let me show say the situation: Russia made list of "friend", "neutral" and "unfriend" countries, in this list we can found Japan as "unfriend" country. Thats means, that flights from Russia to Japan wont fly for this year. I really hope thats this situation will be gone and i could go to Japan, to the really nice country, and hopefully i will ;/

Outro:

Thanks for reading it (PS: i might put this on not right "platform", sorry if i am.)

I really hope that we could fly to Japan soon 😄

Edit:
I forgot to say that im russian and i could go to japan only by transfers like in Mongolia, China and etc. BUT ITS VERYYYYYYYYY EXPENSIVE

• Like 1
  • disturbman changed the title to Japan Travel 2022
Tony Galiani

Those December prices seem in line with what I am seeing from the US.  Typically don't purchase refundable tickets so I could probably save a little bit that way (since if I don't travel to Japan, I would travel somewhere else.)  They are higher that 2019 but not terribly so - especially considering fuel prices, inflation and so on.

Haven't purchased tickets yet but I do see that ANA is resuming its A380 flights to Hawaii.  I will keep an eye on that as ANA and the A380 would seem to be a great combination.  Maybe later this year if positive trends continue.

Kicking my self for not retiring to Hawaii - tropical weather and direct flights to Japan - would seem like a great combination.  Oh well.

Ciao,

Tony

• Like 2

Random subjective anecdotal note, but I get the strong impression in recent weeks that I am starting to see people in central Tokyo who are clearly not long-term residents.

• Like 1
Tony Galiani

Sadly, my French is very weak but even I could get that first sentence.  Personally, I expected that the reopening would be slow and cautious.  I have been hoping for a trip for this year but mainly focused on planning (again) for my long desired visit to the Sapporo Snow and Ice Festival.

Meanwhile, on the home front, we are again seeing a small surge with a Covid variant.  I am trying to opt for denial but my Director keeps sending me the updates from our campus and clinics anyway.

I have two international trips set for June and I was just discussing with my wife that, no matter how relaxed things may be on the planes and in the airports, we may want to continue masking.

Ciao,

Tony

Edited by Tony Galiani
grammar correction

Word on the street is this small number entering is a exhibition to the local to prove tourism is okay.  Aka to soften the opposition to openning more freer borders.

I am from one of the "allowed" nations.  But I have zero interest in it.  Go where they wanna go.  No entry to prefecture still in states of emergency.  If I'm gonna spend good coin on a holiday, then I wanna do what I wanna do.  I don't wanna do the usual tourist locations which I am sure these small group will do.

This is for boomers with disposable savings, a need to travel cos they have been cooped up for too long, and don't care where they go and don't care for any research into what they wanna see.  I am sure this will appeal to someone from the 4-5 nations newly allowed in.

I am seeing in Australia a lot of advertisements from 2 different airlines for tickets to Japan.  So they know something is coming.  The adverts have ramped up massively in the past 2 week.

@Tony GalianiI think aiming for Japans winter months will be a much saver bet for you.