Shigemon Mini Modules

Vato

disturbman

Yes, they were developed by Shigemon (https://twitter.com/shigemon1227) and are available for purchase here, https://toypooom.thebase.in/. There is a N and an HO version

I was toying the idea of buying a couple but shipping would be expensive as these are made in MDF.

I think they would perfect for home usage, mixed in with a few TTrack modules.

Edited by disturbman
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, disturbman said:

I think they would perfect for home usage, mixed in with a few TTrack modules.

These modules don't look tall enough to match up with T-TRAK modules. 🙂

Edited by disturbman

Here is dimensions

Lenght 247mm (designed considering rail connection)
Height 35mm
Width 96mm

disturbman
3 hours ago, Andrew G said:

These modules don't look tall enough to match up with T-TRAK modules.

Good point,  I hadn't check the dimensions before writing.

But I was more thinking about my own interpretation of T-Trak modules. I always had the feeling their dimensions are slightly overbuild, notably in height.

Edited by disturbman
clearer
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, disturbman said:

But I was more thinking about my own interpretation of T-Trak modules. I always had the feeling there dimensions are slightly overbuild, notably in height.

The T-Trak height allows for depressed scenery for underpasses, waterways, etc.  If that's not a desired feature, then shorter height will do fine.

• Like 1

Yes Ttrak modules were a bit overbuilt, this was from it evolving from ntrak. I had many discussions about this with Lee early on. Sadly the tall fronts are out of proportion to the module size and ends up making a very heavy frame that combined with painting the wood leads to a huge visual distraction. It does allow sunken scenes, but those are very rarely done. Even 2” is better visually. Ironically some of this was set on how many you could whack out of a sheet of plywood.

No worries on running heights, you can always boost them put to standard running heights. There is no requirement in Ttrak for module height, just the ability to be able to elevate the modules to standard running height (3-4”).

you can make this style of module easily with just standard dimensional lumber like 6-12” wide. Just have the lumber yard cross cut off 2 thinner strips for the ends and then the top piece and glue the ends under the ends of the top piece. Don’t need any real wood working skills. Most lumber yards will do a few cross cuts for you free or for a small charge. To play with others, just drill holes in the bottom of the end pieces at each corner and screw or hammer in threaded inserts for leveling bolts. You can also flip these over to make a depressed scene module. 

ULrich (a JNS member) did a nice article on making these.

http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/minimodules.html

i experimented with the idea of making the tops of the modules 1-1.5” tall that then had the end pieces a bit recessed so they would look like sushi trays and help visually minimize the uprights. Uprights were to be held in place with magnets so they could be removed to less storage area of modules). Looked nice but needed a bit more wxperimenting forward with making some as too many projects.

my old streetcar 25mm spaced modules were all 1” tall as all flat scenery. Helped a ton in storage space! I just set them on little wooden frames with leveling bolts that spanned 4 modules so I could run at regular heights and made leveling much simpler!

sadly not a lot of thought goes into the module display itself, but it’s a big visual element on these small modules. It’s something we are always dealing with in exhibits as casework cna make or break the display of an artifact and have a huge effect on how the viewer perceives it, you can really taint the viewers’ perception.

cheers,

jeff

• Like 4

These look great!  I always love the smaller modules, sadly my carpentry skills are non existent so I've given up on smaller modules for now.  If only they were available closer!

19 hours ago, disturbman said:

But I was more thinking about my own interpretation of T-Trak modules. I always had the feeling their dimensions are slightly overbuild, notably in height.

I am fairly new to T-Track, and still working on my first module (second and third in planning stage), but I admit I actually like the height for cables and electronics to go underneath ... But who knows, maybe I hate it after the fourth module as well XD

disturbman
5 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

Really only need an inch for this stuff.

Agreed, which is also why a lot of Japanese modelers do very light or low modules frames.

• Like 1
lighthouse

Looks like a prototype of TrainSetter mini-modules for this summer... 🤫

disturbman

Original or borrowed?  😄

Ulli, do you have any sketches/dimensions to share with us?

lighthouse

Our version is an similar version, but a little bit more space for building a scene and higher (100mm). An addition to T-Trak is also planned.

The first pictures could be seen in the mid of may, when the first prototypes are avaiable for testing 😊

Edited by lighthouse
Yavaris Forge
On 5/6/2022 at 10:15 AM, cteno4 said:

Really only need an inch for this stuff.

To counter the bulky T-Trak modules and their height a shallower module height could be adopted for home use with threaded rods to heighten the module to the T-Trak standard when combining the modules with regular ones

Yep this is what I did with my 1” modules. Works well. For multiple modules I would use the wood sub frames to level 4 modules at once up to usual Ttrak running heights.

jeff

disturbman
1 hour ago, Yavaris Forge said:

To counter the bulky T-Trak modules and their height a shallower module height could be adopted for home use with threaded rods to heighten the module to the T-Trak standard when combining the modules with regular ones

That's exactly what I had in mind.

Due to lack of space, have a couple of scenerized "light" T-Trak modules and fill in with these mini modules. The modules being able to be raised if needed to play with others.

• Like 1

Very idea for Ttrak came from using A4 sized plywood project boards to make a small diorama on with Unitrak.

jeff

I just recently came across Shigemon´s mini modules I have to say they are wonderful! I wish I would be able to buy them here in Germany! 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Sir Madog said:

I just recently came across Shigemon´s mini modules I have to say they are wonderful! I wish I would be able to buy them here in Germany! 

I just now wrote my third mail to polish manufacturer "Pikart" if they would be willing to construct something by these standards, fingers crossed they at some point reply.

EDIT: Picart just replied to me, they will make the Modules to the standard Shigemon introduced once they finished a different job RN that occupies them 100%

Edited by Wolf
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, Wolf said:

I just now wrote my third mail to polish manufacturer "Pikart" if they would be willing to construct something by these standards, fingers crossed they at some point reply.

EDIT: Picart just replied to me, they will make the Modules to the standard Shigemon introduced once they finished a different job RN that occupies them 100%

Sounds great! I hope they will be in an affordable price range!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cteno4 said:

Ulrich, I loved the look of your U modules made from shelving wood.

jeff

Due to health issues, my dexterity has suffered a lot, so I have to rely on ready made stuff as much as possible. Even those simple U-modules impose a problem these days - sigh!

Ulrich,

Very sorry to hear that. But they are simple to have cut at home supply and build and very aesthetically pleasing for others! Your modules have been an inspiration to many! It’s been a goto article to send folks to go to to get started. Gotten many positive responses to your article! Wish we were closer to help with this stuff.

cheers,

jeff

ps this is the wonderful article urlrich did on his modules

http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/minimodules.html

jr

• Like 4