Installing a Decoder: Does it Increase or Decrease the Value of a Train?

Bernard

My wife asked me a question the other day about the value of trains as I was installing a decoder. It got me thinking that once you install a decoder in a train set does it increase or decrease the value of the train?

I bring up because in another topic, one member brought up a point that installing a decoder is making the train perform in a way it wasn't meant to do by the manufacture. What are your thoughts?

Value is specific to the individual. In the case of a decoder, it either increases the value because of added function (unless it's a sloppy installation) if the individual is interested in what the train can do, or it decreases the value because it is no longer in mint condition. The same can be said of even small things like glueing on detail parts. For some people this would increase the value in an auction, for others it would decrease it because they'd prefer to install the parts themselves (perhaps to "make sure it is done right")

DCC decoders narrow the second hand market to outside Japan. As Japan is the largest market of all this may not be good.  I would suspect DCC installed cuts the second hand market to DCC only modelers.  Value depends on the model, how many were made and how many want it.  As long as its not destroyed and not damaged you should be able to sell it.  But a mint box may be more important for collectors than DCC compatibility. (Think Lionel trains).

alpineaustralia

For me, I think it increases the value of the train but not up to the combined cost of a new decoder and train.

For example, lets say a non-DCC train has a market value of (say) $100. 

If there is a version of the same train with a $25 decoder installed, then to me it is worth more than $100 because:

(a) I dont have to go to the trouble of installing a decoder; and

(b) it saves the cost of the decoder installed.

However, The train isnt worth $125 to me. It may be worth between (say) $110 and $115.

If there is a version of the same train but with the decoder removed, then to me it is worth less than $100 because of the damage that is likely to have been made to the train in installing and removing the decoder. It may be worth between (say) $80 and $85.

Anyone have a different perspective?

I dont think in a few years this will be an issue as most non Japanese models will operate on either system now, it amazes me that the electronics advanced nation of the world doesnt adopt DCC perhaps N gauge may be part of its unadoption, i know that in European HO Roco will sell you an Electric loco with DCC up and down pantographs and a passenger car/coach that had DCC operating doors, I have great problems converting my TOMIX/KATO HO locos to DCC, a friend in Japan has done this already and send me some photographs of where to change the copper strip on the large PCB across the top of the loco and where to solder my wires and expensive choice when my EH500 has two motors!!

Lew

Martijn Meerts

For collectors the value will decrease, for operators it'll likely increase as long as the operator already has a DCC system.

@Lew: many decoders allow you to hook up both motors on the same decoder, you just need to make sure the decoder's motor power output is high enough

I could see where a "plug & play" decoder device on a train would have no effect on the train because it is designed to go either way. (I hope this option is offered on all future train sets.)

When I see (or purchase) a "hard to find" and/or expensive set up for sale I'm really apprehensive about installing a decoder for fear that I might ruin the train in the process. Then I think, I just added a decoder that cost me an additional money and time I put into doing it, didn't I just increase the value?  :dontknow:

A decoder in a British N-gauge locomotive would increase the value of it for me, but not in the price of the original, unpacked model+decoder.

A decoder in a Kato Portram tram would not be a positive thing for me, as I have not planned yet to run these models in DCC. So I do not buy it, rather I would find and buy the same model without decoder.

Personally it makes no difference to me because I own models that are DCC decoder fitted and others that are non fitted like most of my Kato trains are non-DCC. Though I do fit the detailing parts to my models even if they are limited editions because I am a modeller rather than a collector :cheesy.