A name for my loco depot?

SL-san

I have more or less completed my loco depot loosely based on the one at Kyoto (Umekoji) and want a suitable name for it.  I  can't speak or read Japanese so can anyone suggest something suitable...Kyotonishi perhaps?

Attached are photos showing most of my SL collection around the turntable...I have extras but dare not show the Financial Controller!

Thanks in anticipation,

Graeme

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0300.jpeg

IMG_0304.jpeg

• Like 10

Still hopeful of someone suggesting a name for my Locomotive Depot!  I don't want to be "kept in the dark" so I have attached a photo of the roundhouse lit up at night.  Don't ask how many miniature LEDs I installed...but they do add another dimension to the scene.

Graeme

IMG_0307.jpeg

• Like 5

ume/take/matsu was an old ranking system, maybe you could use some kind of word play based on that.  Takekoji would be a step up, Matsukoji would be two steps up.

https://www.digi-joho.com/living-japan/110-matsu-take-ume.html

I had a look at Australian roundhouses on Wikipedia.  One was called Broadmeadow, another is at a museum called Valley Heights.  Maybe you could make a Japanese name out of these like 広原, wide field which I guessed would be Hirohara, but it's an existing JR Kyushu station read Hirowara.  Or for Valley Heights, 高谷, high valley.  I thought this would be Takadani, but it's a place name in several prefectures most commonly read Koya or Takaya.

Other than Kyoto, is there any place that influences your layout?

We had a related thread some time ago, maybe something in it will be useful for you:

• Like 2
Martijn Meerts

Quite often I have to reply "Not enough steam", but that's not the case here 😄

It's looking really good, also the scenery and the weathering on the concrete slabs between the track and bottom of the pit. Can't help much with names I'm afraid, I'm not very good with naming things.

On 4/22/2022 at 2:12 PM, miyakoji said:

ume/take/matsu was an old ranking system, maybe you could use some kind of word play based on that.  Takekoji would be a step up, Matsukoji would be two steps up.

https://www.digi-joho.com/living-japan/110-matsu-take-ume.html

I had a look at Australian roundhouses on Wikipedia.  One was called Broadmeadow, another is at a museum called Valley Heights.  Maybe you could make a Japanese name out of these like 広原, wide field which I guessed would be Hirohara, but it's an existing JR Kyushu station read Hirowara.  Or for Valley Heights, 高谷, high valley.  I thought this would be Takadani, but it's a place name in several prefectures most commonly read Koya or Takaya.

Other than Kyoto, is there any place that influences your layout?

We had a related thread some time ago, maybe something in it will be useful for you:

Thanks for your suggestions Miyakoji...I will also try and absorb the guide "Japanese Names for Places and Station" that you attached.

I have only really been influenced in my choice for this layout by visiting the Kyoto Railway Museum a couple of times.  I decided that I had to have somewhere to display my ever increasing collection of SLs and a loco depot with roundhouse seemed the logical choice.  I had previously built a small layout based on Wakasa (near Tottori) in Hyogo which I visited and photographed and did post about it on this site a while ago.

I want to stay away from using Japanese names for Australian roundhouses as I do also model New South Wales (Australian) prototype in N scale.  It seems that I am one of a very few Sydney siders who model Japanese SLs in N scale!

Further suggestions for a name are still most welcome.

Cheers,

Graeme