ticketzzzz

LevIsJR_EAST_fan

I think many people won't have any tickets at all, having bought a Suica or similar card many moons ago. Mine is so well used half the printing has worn off.

My main regret is that I didn't record all the data on it. There are smartphone apps that can do it. Would be a good way to record your travels. Then again I usually set an "unlimited" budget for travel costs and would probably be shocked at how much I spend...

• Like 1

I unfortunately don't have any tickets from my time in Japan, as many Japanese ticket machines eat the paper tickets upon exit.  I do have photos of my shinkansen tickets which I am glad I took.  Only ended up on the shinkansen due to a power outage killing all normal trains between Tokyo and Yokohama that night.  

IMG_9805.thumb.JPG.859e42d2de89ccf37b29d79e979b98a2.JPGIMG_9806.thumb.JPG.9d88b97bf5b96578086cc8fcdf3eaa8f.JPG

• Like 2
bikkuri bahn

If you want to keep your paper tickets, just go to a manned exit and hand the ticket to the station staff and say "mochikaeri de" (I want to take this home). They will either stamp it as used or punch a hole in it (or both), and you have a nice tangible souvenir of your journey.  I have boxes of old tickets including those from extinct blue train journeys that otherwise would have been disposed and gone forever.  If you are a railpass holder, another good way to obtain a tangible souvenir of your journey is to buy a platform ticket at your start station and end station each for a couple hundred yen (or less), that has the station name and date printed on it.

• Like 6
LevIsJR_EAST_fan
18 hours ago, bikkuri bahn said:

If you want to keep your paper tickets, just go to a manned exit and hand the ticket to the station staff and say "mochikaeri de" (I want to take this home). They will either stamp it as used or punch a hole in it (or both), and you have a nice tangible souvenir of your journey.  I have boxes of old tickets including those from extinct blue train journeys that otherwise would have been disposed and gone forever.  If you are a railpass holder, another good way to obtain a tangible souvenir of your journey is to buy a platform ticket at your start station and end station each for a couple hundred yen (or less), that has the station name and date printed on it.

wow! thanks for this tip! sometimes i just buy tickets to nearest station and as a children ticket and save it to my collection, this tip will helps a lot!

For JR Pass holders who are on reserved trains, your reservation seat ticket is never taken.  I have a ton of those from all our travels.

LevIsJR_EAST_fan
On 4/19/2022 at 4:05 PM, chadbag said:

For JR Pass holders who are on reserved trains, your reservation seat ticket is never taken. I have a ton of those from all our travels.

i had JR Pass only for traveling around Osaka area by shinkansen, so i use tickets only (expect 2018). And btw, these tickets are bought for my collection, its just children tickets to nearest station (so most cheapest, around 60 yen).

12 hours ago, LevIsJR_EAST_fan said:

i had JR Pass only for traveling around Osaka area by shinkansen, so i use tickets only (expect 2018). And btw, these tickets are bought for my collection, its just children tickets to nearest station (so most cheapest, around 60 yen).

yes we have machine tickets from non JR trains (Hankyu etc).  Great keep sakes.  My daughter keeps a journal/scrapbook and has used these tickets as well as the reserved seat tickets from Shinkansen to document our travels in Japan.

Great topic

LevIsJR_EAST_fan
On 4/21/2022 at 12:41 PM, chadbag said:

yes we have machine tickets from non JR trains (Hankyu etc). Great keep sakes. My daughter keeps a journal/scrapbook and has used these tickets as well as the reserved seat tickets from Shinkansen to document our travels in Japan.

Great topic

thanks, i just collect tickets for same reason, and im so happy that i got so much tickets, because i cant go to japan after 2020, because coronavirus, sadly 😞

• Like 1

Unfortunately Levis’s browser translator sometimes auto translates the quote when he is quoting another post. I usually just correct them when I see them.

anyone out there that uses auto translate browser plugins have issues with this and potential solutions for this for him? He’s been trying turning off the auto translate before he posts but it still sometimes does this.

thanks

jeff

LevIsJR_EAST_fan
8 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Unfortunately Levis’s browser translator sometimes auto translates the quote when he is quoting another post. I usually just correct them when I see them.

anyone out there that uses auto translate browser plugins have issues with this and potential solutions for this for him? He’s been trying turning off the auto translate before he posts but it still sometimes does this.

thanks

jeff

yeah, sadly google kinda glitchy 😞

LevIsJR_EAST_fan
43 minutes ago, chadbag said:

I think it is kind of cool.

dont know is glitching of google cool or not, but its looks funny when i saying on russian, while i was speaking on english, lol

• Like 1
On 4/22/2022 at 2:41 AM, chadbag said:

yes we have machine tickets from non JR trains (Hankyu etc).  Great keep sakes.  My daughter keeps a journal/scrapbook and has used these tickets as well as the reserved seat tickets from Shinkansen to document our travels in Japan.

Great topic

I have kept some of the tickets collected on my various rail trips in Japan.  Some of the more memorable one are attached...oh and need I mention that they were on steam hauled trains!!

Graeme

IMG_20220423_0001.jpg

IMG_20220423_0002.jpg

IMG_20220423_0003.jpg

IMG_20220423_0004.jpg

• Like 3