Last post links not working correctly

Has anyone noticed for the last few weeks (may have been just after the last forum software update) that many times when you click on the most recent post (date time link on the unread list) it usually takes you somewhere halfway up the page, not to the last post like it use to? The position seems very random, usually a few posts before the line of unread posts for me. So far my data is on the iPad in safari and it did not use to do this and I’ve not don’t an iOS update in there. I’ll have to check on the mac as well chrome on the ipad.

jeff

Mine, on Firefox, has been doing that a lot, and for quite a while now. It seems to be related to how many images are displayed in the intervening posts.

Rich K.

It may be some issue with the auto image load then. The system tries to load the images right around your screen then as you scroll load them in advance. When this feature first came in I would see the post location jump around some, but does not do the jumping for me, just sends me to the wrong post visible even if I let it sit there a while.

jeff

Martijn Meerts

I've not noticed any major issues due to any updates at least.

What might be happening is what Jeff already mentioned with the image loading. If the post before the last unread post has a bunch of images in it, those images will be loaded, pushing the latest post down. Any images in the first post on the page will also be loaded, which can also push the page down. So if the forum tries to move to the anchor specified in the latest post link before the images are loaded, the page will be pushed down some.

I don't think there's any way to fix this. Definitely not on our end, but also unlikely for the forum devs.

So interesting it looks like the feature of only loading images near where you link to don’t seem to be happening as as I scroll they are already downloaded. Before they would only download as you scrolled toward them.

jeff

Martijn Meerts

Hmm... Might be some issue introduced with one of the updates recently. I can't say I've really noticed any difference, but then, I tend to no notice these kinda things all that much in general 🙂