Great video by Akechi Railway Video Center

One of the YT algo quirks I guess that this uploader doesn't have more views.  Really nice videography and editing.

As far as I can tell, the locations shown here are around Neu, Muko, Ebi, and Hoki-Mizoguchi stations on the Hakubi Line.

• 4:15 possibly around this spot along the Hino River
  • 8:30 at Neu Station, an Okayama bound Yakumo departs under snow
  • 10:00 seems to be the same movements as above, but there's no snow falling or accumulated on the platform.  Earlier, or a different day?
  • 12:00 I think the same as 4:15 looking the other direction
  • 12:30 a Yakumo passes Kurosaka at night
  • 12:45 I think it's Niizato station, which looks a lot like Nunohara, another station on a curve some distance south
  • 14:50 the coolest scene in the video

I figure there will be more videos like this with the retirement of the 381 series coming up, I'll add them in this thread.

• Like 5

Very nicely shot! This person obviously was a still photographer first and excels at the scene framing and composition first, then overlays very nicely both the motion of the train thru the scene as well as it’s change in size in relation the scene composition. I’ve worked with a lot of professional camera people and few have this talent. One I’ve worked with a lot does and she was first a large format landscape photographer so she had to very carefully frame and compose her scene as she had 2 shots at negatives usually for a shot! She later trained in film/video and really brought her still composition skills into video.

kudos to the videographer.

jeff

• Like 1
19 hours ago, disturbman said:

@JR 500系Didn't you sell one?

Kudos to you for that EXCELLENT memory mate! I'm impressed!!! And yes guilty as charged. I'm a very guilty culprit of selling and re-buying back the same models, it's a condition called stupidity which i am always trying to restrain from ~

• Haha 1

Three by nimo5.  The purple Super Yakumo livery was used from 1994 until 2006.  This formation returned to service with the fresh paint on February 17.

Super Yakumo and JNR-era liveries passing between Tamatsukuri Onsen and Kimachi.

• Like 1

Two front view videos, full route from Okayama to Izumo-shi.  Excellent perspective in both.  The new rolling stock will not have panorama cars.  Both videos capture impressive winter scenery in the Chugoku mountains and beyond.

by MED PlaneSpotting, Driver'sView & Live with nice on-screen info, including station names and progress meter in romaji

by HKASAMA with stations indicated by graphics resembling platform signs, as shown in thumbnail.

• Like 1
Tony Galiani

Another livery variation?

How many of these will show up as special run models from Kato?  They could probably do pretty well issuing sets in the run up to end of Series 381 service.

Ciao,

Tony

• Like 2
7 hours ago, lighthouse said:

Very interesting rescue scene with DD51 and Series 381 "Yakumo"

I saw this around the time it was posted.  The description says it couldn't get traction due to rain and fallen leaves and it spun its wheels.  As a result, the traction motors seized (Google's translation of 焼付き).  Seems extreme.  I would have guessed it meant overheated or something.  Given the lack of a method to mechanically disengage the motors afaik, I wouldn't expect a powered axle to turn at all if the motor is locked up.  It's a 4-car formation.  Based on Wikipedia it has two motored cars, either at the Okayama end or the middle.

• Thanks 1