Bullet train movie (no not the 1975 one)

JR 500系

Looks ok. I'd watch it. I tend to watch things like this in Spanish. The language element soothes my conscience enough for me to consume the empty calories guilt free.

On the bright side, if the movie is a hit, then maybe someone will make and Alpha-x model!

Edited by gavino200

I've seen the previews a few times now in the Cinema.   Look interesting for a popcorn movie.  It's not meant to be taken seriously.  

Just from the previews, it is interesting how they include Japanese "pop culture" like the live costume Kawaii mascot, etc.

• Like 1

Dont let the movie title fool you.  It aint a train movie.  It just takes place on a fictional train, with fictional Japanese sub cultures.

• Like 2

Looks like this may affect the Shinkansens record of no on board injuries or fatalities a bit...

(Yes I know that record actually only counts those happening from collisions or derailments)

I expect the grand finale has a shinkansen crashing into a helicopter or something and they didn’t want to let that out in the trailers.

jeff

• Haha 1

I recently saw an advertisement for this movie on a side of a bus which caught my attention and I was wondering what it was all about and now i know.

Oh dear, this movie looks terrible, kind of like a badly made Tarantino movie. 

Edited by dabsan
  • Like 1

Yeah, looks very unrealistic. Trains going at full belt through dense cities areas, no sleeping salarymen, no dog excursion seating and a buffet car instead of a lady with a trolley. Who writes this stuff? Seriously though, very few Japanese people on the train considering where it's supposed to be taking place.

It looks so bad, it could be kinda' good. Definitely very Tarantino inspired. Probably one to rent rather than pay to see at the cinema but do movies have to take themselves too seriously given the current state of the world?

The part with the fight in the quiet car made me chuckle.

I gave up any pretense of realistic Japanese railway depiction in any Hollywood movie a long time ago.

It makes more sense if you look this way: they aren't depicting a as-reaistic-as-possible Shinkansen, rather, they're subconciously depicting how they percieve it (and perhaps Japan as a whole) in relation to what they're used to see (alas, your average current-era US passenger train).

At any rate, having read (and thoroughly enjoyed) Isaka Kotaro's original story, on wich the film is based, i look forward to see it, more out of pure curiosity and the desire to make a comparison with the book, rather than actual interest in the film itself.

1 hour ago, Socimi said:

I gave up any pretense of realistic Japanese railway depiction in any Hollywood movie a long time ago.

Hollywood is a thing on its own. We delude ourselves if we expect them to make a carbon copy of any reality outside the US.

As you said, the movie should be a good case study as to what Hollywood (and the general public to a certain extent) thinks what a Shinkansen is.

I don't want to subject myself to finding out whether or not the movie is cringy to watch. 😂

1 hour ago, Giugiaro said:

We delude ourselves if we expect them to make a carbon copy of any reality outside the US.

We delude ourselves if we expect them to make a carbon copy of any reality outside of Hollywood. It’s reality has little to do with even the US anymore with these movies.

jeff

You guys are overthinking this. 

They're making a popcorn action movie.  They're borrowing ideas from Japanese culture and basing their alternate reality on those ideas.  They're not recreating anything.  They're just being inspired by pop culture.

• Like 5
ATShinkansen

I saw this movie yesterday.  Too crude/bloody for my taste, but as far as the actual train part, I can assure you it gets even more absurd than what’s shown in the trailer.  I don’t want to give spoilers, but there’s a lot to pick apart and poke fun at.

• Like 4
Claude_Dreyfus

There is another one out there. A made for TV offering called 'Bullet Train Down'. Just seen it...it sucks! Really sucks. Good for a laugh though...

This is a (very) loose remake of the 1975 film, but set in the US (of course!) and featuring levitating Shinkansen, something akin to the 700 series. It was so bad, we decided to search out the 1975 version on the Tube of You. I have the 1980 book of the film as well! 😁 

Sometimes when  they suck that badly the come around the other edge of the spectrum and are a hoot! It’s so bad it’s good.

jeff

• Like 1
On 9/5/2022 at 3:33 AM, cteno4 said:

Sometimes when  they suck that badly the come around the other edge of the spectrum and are a hoot! It’s so bad it’s good.

jeff

And that's what it is! Saw the movie some weeks ago while being in holidays (more added fun with Japanese language parts being subtitled in spanish) and found it pretty entertaining. Of course the train, its network, setting, ... is fictional. And totally irrelevant to the movie btw. Movie itself is a well made splatter/trash movie, so its actually good. 🤪

PS: But to give the film makers some credit: the station names and order seems correct. 

42 minutes ago, kami_illy said:

...And totally irrelevant to the movie btw. ...

Same with the movie "Impossible Mission" 1 or 2 ... when they are using a chopper to land on the roof the the TGV, the into the tunnel

Possible spoiler warning:

After the last station, through the storage yard, did it look like the track changed from standard gauge to Cape gauge?  Because it looked like that to me.