What did you order or the post deliver? (Hobby Tools and Supplies)

katoftw

Ouch! That has got to be a good story! I did a young Frankenstein and sunk a #11 to the hilt in my thigh once. Was giving a lady directions after she knocked on the exhibit shop back door. Had the xacto in my hand and after gesturing on the direction she needed to go I dropped my hand down to my side w.o remembering the xacto was in my hand and stabbed it into my upper thigh. Luckily sharp so didn’t hurt that much and I just held it in place, but I could feel the blood start to ooze out and just waited till she started to walk off to look. Once the blade was out it was a bleeder! Hit within 1/2” of a nice big previous matte knife scar, that’s another story…

maybe we should have a hobby wound topic?

jeff

26 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

Ouch! That has got to be a good story! I did a young Frankenstein and sunk a #11 to the hilt in my thigh once. Was giving a lady directions after she knocked on the exhibit shop back door. Had the xacto in my hand and after gesturing on the direction she needed to go I dropped my hand down to my side w.o remembering the xacto was in my hand and stabbed it into my upper thigh. Luckily sharp so didn’t hurt that much and I just held it in place, but I could feel the blood start to ooze out and just waited till she started to walk off to look. Once the blade was out it was a bleeder! Hit within 1/2” of a nice big previous matte knife scar, that’s another story…

maybe we should have a hobby wound topic?

jeff

Wow now that's a story, My story isn't as interesting as yours lol. I was dumb and careless with my xacto knife. I was working on a project and dropped the knife under my desk. I got distracted and unfortunately not wearing any footwear well you know what happened next I stabbed my heel with the xacto knife. Needless to say there was soooooooooo much blood that I got nervous, I managed to stop the blood with constant pressure on the wound. So now you know why I need a retractable xacto knife. Lol at a hobby wound topic who know 🤣 

Ouch, I have visions of doing that as I don’t wear shoes around the house and maybe a hundred xactos around the house! Man they do bleed. Never went to the er and got stitches for anyone of them, but that lead to many not so pretty scars.

jeff

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Got one of these last year. Not cheap by any means but the control and ability to sand off minute amounts, ie tenths of a millimetre. Totally different tool than a powered sander.

• Like 3

Oh man that slicer looks like the bomb! I’ve always thought there should be a unit with a chisel blade to get square cuts. Dual bevel blades never cut square and they are usually thin and lead to some blade deflection as well. Plus most choppers come almost straight down this one slices to get less deflection and better to cut than chop! I may succumb!

thanks Todd!

jeff

• Like 1

Todd,

you have been holding out on us! How does it work on styrene strips and tubings? 

sander looked interesting but the slicer looks like the best stock cross cutter I have every seen. I own most of the ones out there as I keep getting new ones hoping to find the holy grail for the bit thicker styrene stuff as that never slices true. Sadly I think my credit card is going to go ouch tonight. You have a perfect wife!

please give us your review on both!

Jeff, to be honest I've hardly used it so far. Haven't used any styrene lately but I gave it a try on some 1/4" styrene tubing. Works like a charm. I think having access to the laser cutter skews one's priority. I've recently purchased a wooden boat kit though so hopefully it'll see more use soon. The one fault with the cutter is that the adjustable stop sits too high to use with thin materials like HO scale 1X6s. I tack glued a small piece of wood to it to make that work. The blade is great as it's only tapered on the one side. That means vertical cuts.

The sander though, I've used more. It works great for fine tuning things. Sometimes just a half a turn on the handle takes away that little bit needed to make your piece fit perfectly. Angles are super easy to set and accurate. Both tools are well made. Sturdy with high quality materials. 

Todd

Edited by tossedman

Thanks Todd, one of the biggest thing I do modeling it seems to be chopping small bits off of various stocks and choppers are big use for me. I have a couple of little horizontal sanders that usually do the trick to clean ends when needed, so not sure I’ll invest in the sander, but the chisel blade really looks like it may do really nice perpendicular cuts.

a local miniaturist friend is drooling over the sander so maybe I’ll get to play with one hers!

jeff

Today 6/12//23 I got a Klein screwdriver set when I really needed and IFixit screwdriver kit. 

ZMg2sRPl.jpg

Well I finally got a nice little soldering iron delivered today. 

20230426_194757.jpg

Edited by bc6
  • Like 4

I was shopping for (non-modelling) tools the other day but was unable to resist this utterly cute pair of micro-clamps, which I imagine might come in useful for something one day:

micro-clamps.thumb.jpg.737d013fe7bcbfe33d9b71112c660f99.jpg

(N scale coach for scale).

I don't remember posting this but I got a mini drill or pin drill which has come pretty handy. Last night I used it to drill out some material that impeded the movement of the wheels. Last week I used a drill to free up material so I could sucessfully install antennas on a commuter cars.