What did you order or the post deliver? (Hobby Tools and Supplies)

katoftw

• cteno4 pinned this topic

A good X-Acto, some tweezers .... including a normal one I'll hide from my 17-years old daughter, and an A4 cutting support. All I need to work on my Tomix JR 103 series

225213583_tools(Grande).thumb.jpg.5c79176044a72f4fe0fe267dc225024a.jpg

• Like 2

Couple of misc tools. First is a retractable xacto #11 knife. Nice and flat so it won’t roll. Nice for those situations where I might have a knife in places I could poke myself with (I once embedded a #11 blade all the way into my thigh, but that’s another story). Those plastic sheathes always go poof when you need them and come can come off. This one you could safely put in your pocket as the slide trigger requires a lot of very specific pressure to slide the blade out.

second is a big set of setup blocks for the modeling workshop. I have a smaller set of bigger blocks in the wood shop that’s handy to set standard blade and drill depths with. Also they seem like might be useful in just prop blocks for modeling. I have a few 1x2x3 blocks I use to weigh things down gluing and to prop up stuff at right angles. These are inexpensive ones so good to .001” probably.

jeff

9EF55BDA-0C62-47F6-B02A-4315A671B950.jpeg

17FD7BDD-A929-454F-BCB7-6E9089E774DC.jpeg

C0CF6419-3431-4F80-BBCA-AA01D67502C0.jpeg

FA92FC59-1C7B-4670-9616-6AD65EFCEF69.jpeg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, cteno4 said:

(I once embedded a #11 blade all the way into my thigh, but that’s another story)

A Dr. Frankenstein cosplay skit went wrong?
: 3

• Haha 1

Very close! Giving directions to a tourist that wandered up and knocked on our back door at the Monterey bay aquarium design office (pre construction) one day. I was pointing where to go and forgot I had an xacto in my hand and when I dropped it down my side I did the Young Frankenstein (I had not seen that movie yet but fell on the floor when I saw it, still one of my most favorite movies—Blücher!, what hump? Could be worse, could be raining—gawd Marty Feldman was great!) and buried the knife in my thigh. I finished giving directions and let her walk off before limping inside to pull it out and stem the gush of blood… the scar is about a half inch from a nice crescent matte knife scar (wood I was carving on broke) on the same poor right thigh.

jeff

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, cteno4 said:

second is a big set of setup blocks for the modeling workshop. I have a smaller set of bigger blocks in the wood shop that’s handy to set standard blade and drill depths with. Also they seem like might be useful in just prop blocks for modeling. I have a few 1x2x3 blocks I use to weigh things down gluing and to prop up stuff at right angles. These are inexpensive ones so good to .001” probably.

Those blocks look cool. What are they for? And do they come in metric?

I love this thread btw, @katoftw

They are machinist blocks that you can use to set things with or use to prop things up at 1” set distances. Handy video.

you can get them with and without holes. I have a few without holds just to use as weights and props as the are one nice flat surface for smaller parts that won’t span holes well. But the holes are handy to bolt them together for quick stops and jigs, plus it’s easier to pick them up with the holes. There are also angle blocks as well at 45-90-45 or 30-60-90. Sorry should have taken time to write it all out here.

yep they do have metric.

https://smile.amazon.com/Chiloskit-Precision-Matched-Machinist-Metric(25-50-75mm)/dp/B07QB73CXR/ref=sr_1_4?crid=A4IWZDHE6L6R&keywords=123+blocks+set+metric&qid=1644461378&sprefix=123+blocks+set+metric%2Caps%2C41&sr=8-4

Yeah Kato’s post in other hobbies got me thinking tools/supplies don’t fit well elsewhere! I realized I wasn’t posting a lot of the tools I get for the same reason. Sorry Kato for forgetting to pm you I moved it.

but can’t have the hobby withouts the tools and supplies!

jeff

• Like 3
  • cteno4 changed the title to What did you order or the post deliver? (hobby tools and supplies)

Just received a new airbrush from Tamiya. I already have one of their super fine 0.2mm trigger type brushes (74549) which works very well for n gauge. As it's not the most ideal for larger surfaces,  I went to the other end of the spectrum and bought their wide 0.5mm wide trigger type brush (74523)

The build quality is very good on these Tamiya Spray Work HG brushes.  The trigger type reduces fatigue on your finger and I certainly prefer them to the single finger, dual action type airbrushes. There's a definite step in the trigger which allows you to blow air without any paint. The trigger can also be tightened to limit paint flow just like other airbrushes. I had heard they were made by Anest Iwata/Sparmax but I'm not sure how true this is. The airbrush looks identical to the Sparmax GP-50 although the paint cup attaches to the top rather than the side.

Anyway, for an amateur model builder, this new addition will  allow for primers, gloss coats as the nozzle size is less likely to clog. I have a number of largish unmade Maschinen Krieger kits to build as well as 4 HO Tomix Taki 1900 cement tankers which should start life with nice black sheen.

AD45D914-FAC4-459E-AC41-142A5F82B8A9.jpeg

Edited by Kamome
picture added
  • Like 4
  • cteno4 changed the title to What did you order or the post deliver? (Hobby Tools and Supplies)

Fun pocket tool. I love pocket knives and continually loose them or loose them to security checks at places, so don’t carry them much anymore, but it’s always good to have something in a pinch! Myriad of little keychain knives out there, but this one caught my eye, it’s a retractable #11 xacto knife blade in a tiny titanium shell. Spring loaded button to slide the blade out to half and full extension. You can tighten the knob/button so the blade locks in any of the stops open or closed for safety. Easy to handle, just opened a cardboard shipping box and cut it up pretty easily. They give a whole extra set of screws, blade bolt and spring as well for spares. Very nice quality and very light as titanium. Not cheap at $20, but I like it so I splurged!

cheers

jeff

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08QHT6WNJ?ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details&th=1

3D0B1271-9295-4D85-83A5-7AD41E809C71.jpeg

0FC28A23-B420-4A8A-A103-1D26561BE8A1.jpeg

• Like 1

I bought these about a year ago - for scratch building using polystyrene sheets they are pretty awesome:

5E79858A-9C94-40C1-9B79-512DD0444EA8.thumb.jpeg.c090d0a8049e40b8e285430f41bea5d9.jpeg

I also find these very handy for fiddly work as the old eyes aren’t too sharp these days:

101DFFC0-5743-451D-A56C-6FA6DFF83AA9.thumb.jpeg.55d0e5f0161aa228e4468c4ac8d8fd5a.jpeg

• Like 3

I've got some aftermarket photoetch parts for aircraft and armour kits, so I ordered one of these. It arrived today - one of tonight's projects will be to assemble it and try it out.

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 2

I think you’ll like it mark, great for quick paper and brass bends. I only clamp it if a long metal bend. For small fiddly metal bends I use my traditional clamp down finger bender. Gotta love a photo etch bending tool that is made of folded etched metal parts!

cheers, and 

jeff

• Like 1
14 hours ago, marknewton said:

I've got some aftermarket photoetch parts for aircraft and armour kits, so I ordered one of these. It arrived today - one of tonight's projects will be to assemble it and try it out.

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mark.

What is it, Mark? How does it work?

Not really sure whether this is the correct thread but for those interested in some good visual reference, recently picked the latest issue of Kokutetsu Jidai Magazine from Neko Publishing (Issue 72)

国鉄時代

It's always a little pricey, around ¥2000 per magazine but its packed with some great pictures in both B&W and colour. 

I tend to get it only on occasions when there is a good amount of things I'm interested in but the photos included are usually pretty stunning and the magazine is printed on heavy paper so certainly something you wish to keep.

This particular issue includes a big feature on some of the locomotives used in the mountains, EF59, EF16, EF63, EF71 and ED78.

• Like 3

While I have a lot of small bits and bit sets, they are in different sets and different places so at times it’s frustrating to get just the right diameter bit for a few tasks easily. Usually this need is just wood or plastic for me so did not need to be a high end set of bits and found a nice HHS metric engineers fractional bit set at 1-6mm in 0.1mm increments. Perfect for playing Goldie Locks. $35 shipped off ebay out of the UK. it’s the perfect range for most modeling. At $35 I’m not going to go drilling steel with these, but for mostly wood, plastic or at worse thin brass they should do fine. Few were a couple of hundredths of mm off, but good enough for my needs.

finer increments than my 1/64 sets and linear size change as opposed to wire gauge bits that are not linear size changes.

I’ll give them a workout this week.

cheers

jeff

614A2E2E-555C-4D10-860E-07930728786D.jpeg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, cteno4 said:

While I have a lot of small bits and bit sets, they are in different sets and different places so at times it’s frustrating to get just the right diameter bit for a few tasks easily. Usually this need is just wood or plastic for me so did not need to be a high end set of bits and found a nice HHS metric engineers fractional bit set at 1-6mm in 0.1mm increments. Perfect for playing Goldie Locks. $35 shipped off ebay out of the UK. it’s the perfect range for most modeling. At $35 I’m not going to go drilling steel with these, but for mostly wood, plastic or at worse thin brass they should do fine. Few were a couple of hundredths of mm off, but good enough for my needs.

finer increments than my 1/64 sets and linear size change as opposed to wire gauge bits that are not linear size changes.

I’ll give them a workout this week.

cheers

jeff

614A2E2E-555C-4D10-860E-07930728786D.jpeg

Or you could buy them off Amazon for $19.95. Got these a while ago, same sizes is appears...

FD668A69-6CE2-4A5E-A92A-11436FFA98B7.jpeg

Well that must have been a while back as now $58 shipped from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G9753-Coated-Length-50-Piece/dp/B0000DD0PV/ref=sr_1_1?crid=25A5P2MM6CMZF&keywords=Grizzly+g9753&qid=1680657932&sprefix=grizzly+g9753%2Caps%2C75&sr=8-1

direct from Grizzly a bit cheaper at about $50 shipped

https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-tin-coated-drill-set-50-pc.-metric/g9753

odd they call it 50 bit set as if 1 to 6mm by 0.1mm increments makes 51 bits. Marketing goof I guess.

looked around and around $35 is about cheapest for sets like this I could find at the usual sources.

jeff

On 2/9/2022 at 4:34 PM, cteno4 said:

Couple of misc tools. First is a retractable xacto #11 knife. Nice and flat so it won’t roll. Nice for those situations where I might have a knife in places I could poke myself with (I once embedded a #11 blade all the way into my thigh, but that’s another story). Those plastic sheathes always go poof when you need them and come can come off. This one you could safely put in your pocket as the slide trigger requires a lot of very specific pressure to slide the blade out.

jeff

9EF55BDA-0C62-47F6-B02A-4315A671B950.jpeg

17FD7BDD-A929-454F-BCB7-6E9089E774DC.jpeg

C0CF6419-3431-4F80-BBCA-AA01D67502C0.jpeg

Thanks for sharing Jeff I like a good Xacto knife and this looks interesting I may have to pick one up. Did I tell you about the time I got an Xacto knife lodge in the heel of my foot well that's another story too lol 🤣

Edited by bc6