KATO Unitrack Automatic Crossing Gate S Basic Set not working out of the box

Macross88

Hi all,

I picked up the KATO Unitrack Automatic Crossing Gate S Basic Set on the weekend and it doesn't work at all no matter what I do.

I tried the reset button and that did nothing so I went over the instructions and made sure to have the power plug and all the sensor

wire extension cable plugs in the right way but still nothing.

I then checked the power pack with my multi meter and the output is showing just a bit over 5 volts which is all good so it's not that.

Then I tried google but it's not proving to be very useful with this issue at all.

So I was wondering if any of you guys have had an issue like this or know someone who has

or if you may have any suggestions that I could try out.

I really don't want to have to send it back to Japan but I don't see any other way at the moment.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I guess you mean KATO 20-652?

When you turn on the crossing gate, it should go into a "boot" sequence that opens and closes the gates and rings the bell briefly.

Does that work?

If it does, check if the sensors are plugged in correctly.

If that's also the case, be aware that you can tweak the sensitivity of the IR sensors, which you can try adjusting (depending on your environment).

If nothing works, it could be you have a broken cable somewhere. 

Also consider uploading a youtube video in case something does not work (e.g. an unlisted youtube video), that would also help us in diagnosing the problem.

Thanks Yavianice,

Yes, it is the KATO 20-652 I'm talking about.

I should have said originally that on power up the crossing doesn't even go into its boot sequence at all.

I've just checked all of the wires in each of the 3 cables with my multi meter and they are all good so it looks like it's some kind of internal issue.

So I'm going to have to bite the bullet and make another trip to the hobby shop to see about getting it sent back. 🙁

So bit of an update, I took the KATO 20-652 Crossing back to the hobby shop I got it from and they sent it on to the Australian KATO supplier and it turns out that it had some crossed wires inside the unit.

As it was explained to me, the wiring needed to be changed for the Australian market but this unit either didn't have that change made or it did have the fix but then at a later date the fix was undone for some reason. 

So I was given a new unit to replace it which works perfectly so all good in the end.

@Macross88 Thanks for the update. Huh, interesting, weird that they would change the wires? I thought it was all universal (just with different painting schemes for US and JP versions).

Ahh now I see the crossing has its own power supply! I always figured this used the powerpack for power. They ship a different wall wart for Australia 220v ac and they were made with the power connector reversed from the Japanese wall wart. Too bad Kato has not sourced a universal 100-220v 50/60hz wall wart.

glad to hear it’s working!

jeff

220 plug is different so they may just sell with a uk plugged universal instead of adding an adapter for 2 blade to 3 blade. But that’s all tha I can think a wire change would need to be made for selling in Australia. 

jeff

old thread. but I brought mine in Japan and the power adaptor is valid up to 240vac. So back in the UK  I just used a standard travel adaptor with no issues. of course things sold in shops have to meet local electrical regulations, so probably had to be changed.

• Like 1