Shotengai Vignette for B-Train

mags_minibuilds

mags_minibuilds

I am working on my first n-scale project with all the Sankei kits and a bunch of stuff I've stockpiled months ago. The base size is 8.25"x7.25" and will be mainly used to display my B-Train Shorties. For the houses I'm mainly using Sankei kits that I've weathered using Tamiya weathering powder. It's been really fun scale to work with so far. Loving there's so many Japan-related accessories available for n scale.

---

My Instagram: http://instagram.com/mags_minibuilds/

IMG_1204.jpg

IMG_1274.jpg

IMG_1314.jpg

IMG_1322.jpg

• Like 12
mags_minibuilds
11 hours ago, maihama eki said:

Very nice!

How did you make the stencils for the road markings?

Good question, I initially wanted to use road marking decals, however, i just placed a huge purchase a couple weeks ago and it doesn’t make sense to buy one thing and have it shipped to the US. I also couldn’t use masking tape because it would peel off my base paint.

I printed the lettering/crosswalk on cardstock, used an Xacto to cut it out carefully and used a brush to gently pat/dab on the acrylic paint. I used Illustrator to trace out the STOP lettering as I couldn’t find any on the internet that’s not skewed. Technically it could’ve been spray painted on too, I’m just not comfortable with it because I didn’t want to accidentally overspray on the base. Some paint went out of the line so I had to make some touchups to clean up the edges. It turned out better than I anticipated.

I just started my Instagram with other projects I’ve been working on. http://instagram.com/mags_minibuilds/

Edited by ZandT
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
mags_minibuilds
9 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Excellent little project! The weathering powders work well on the sankei structures. Love the vines on the wall.

jeff

I tried a wash but was not a good idea! The weathering went on too fast and hard to control…

—-

My Instagram: http://instagram.com/mags_minibuilds/

Yeah I would not try a wash on the sankei laserboard. While it’s got a ton of resin in it I would worry it would suck up way too much of the was and not wash but all soak in. I love the doc obriens weathering powders, not tried the Tamiya but expect about the same.

cheers,

jeff

• Like 1
mags_minibuilds

Made heaps of progress this weekend. Dry fitted the pieces to see how they look and to figure out the details... I still need to paint/assemble all the Sankei bikes, scooters, signs, post box, air conditioners, etc. Then making some planters and a tree.

IMG_1337.jpg

IMG_1341.jpg

IMG_1348.jpg

• Like 5
mags_minibuilds

I scratchbuilt some trees and planters. I had tried the method of using the Dremel as a lathe and made the planters from toothpick. Here's some photos of how it's looking so far. I must admit, I was a little skeptical about the Sankei kits at first. But it grew on me and I'm very pleased with the amount of detail. I can't vouch on longevity since it's made out of paper.

IMG_1500.jpg

IMG_1520b.jpg

IMG_1568.jpg

• Like 7

I love Sankei kits. They are so nicely designed and look more elegant than the chunky plastic offerings. They are suprizingly strong too so should stand the test of time. 

I really like your planters and look forward to seeing them in place. In all, a very nice scene you have created 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful. I love the Sankei kits, they are very nicely detailed and they are very durable in my weather conditions. I have some that are now several years old and they haven't moved a tick.

• Thanks 1

I love the scene you have created here. So nice, detailed and perfectly weathered!

It’s also a proof that you don’t need a large layout or even a large module to show something nice!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, ZandT said:

a rather large bonsai tree.

They do exist in that size. I saw an exhibition once of bonsai trees where some were a 100 to 150 years old and they were quite large. One of my neighbours has one that size, can see it from my kitchen window.

• Thanks 1
mags_minibuilds

And that's a wrap for now...I'll come back on a later time to add laundry on the balcony, beverage crates, and maybe even wires on the utility poles (?).

DSCF3231.jpg

DSCF3233.jpg

DSCF3246.jpg

DSCF3252.jpg

DSCF3254.jpg

DSCF3268.jpg

DSCF3270.jpg

DSCF3271.jpg

• Like 12