Replacing the code 80 rail in Kato Unitrack with code 55 -- is it possible?

Linton12

Is it possible to replace the Kato Unitrack code 80 rail with code 55? 

Here's the context: A key scenic feature on the layout I'm building is a city street in Tokyo  (Waseda-Dori Ave.) crossed by the railroad (JR East and Seibu-Shinjuku). The four JR East tracks cross the street via a deck girder bridge. Three are on straight track, the fourth is curving around the end of the island station, also crossing the street. 

Kato has both the straight and curved deck girder bridges that appear to have the correct prototype look. That's ideal. And the curved Kato deck girder bridge may be the correct radius for my needs. Another bonus. 

The complication: I plan to use Atlas Code 55 flex track for the rest of layout. I like the look better. My thought is to replace the code 80 rail in the Kato Unitrack bridges with code 55 rail that I have on hand.

Has anyone tried this? Any feedback on the process or the results? 

Thanks

Interesting question. I haven't tried that but I have removed the rails from Kato Unitrack often, in order to paint the base, or to cut the track to custom lengths. It's not difficult to do. I use a tiny pliers of grip the rail. There are a few little corrugations in the rail to keep it embedded in the plastic. You have to brace yourself a bit, it tends to jump a bit when you finally overcome the friction.

I'd be interested in your results. I'm planing to use a mixture of flexitrack and Unitrack for my layout.

Never heard of anyone doing it but it might work. it will be determined on the code 55 track profile marching on the base and if the spikes are not too tall on the code 55 rail and flanges bump on them. Guess it will just take giving it a try. Other option is of course to just mate the code 80 on the girder bridges to the surrounding code 50 flex.

jeff

• Like 1

Interesting. I think you might need to fall back on @cteno4’s advice here, and just file down the corners. I say this mainly because I don’t think you’re going to find track of the right curvature 

Well code 55 flex track would give rails that would be able to bend to the curve needed, all in if the track profile will fit well in the Kato spikes slot.

jeff

• Like 1

I have a feeling I have seen someone do something like that, though I don’t remember it clearly. It might have been Susukuma, on his YouTube channel. It was in the three months. I’ll check later.

Edit: @Linton12, here:

Susukuma uses Peco code 55 for this.

Edited by disturbman

Aren't Code 80 and Code 55 rails the same but they just sit differently on/in the sleepers? At least that's how I remember it from a Peco poster I once saw

• Like 1

@roadstar_na6 - that is correct for the Peco track.  Their code 55 is embedded in the track base so the visible part is code 55 but it is the same height as their code 80.  I think the profile is a bit different but they are designed to connect easily.  On my project layout for an upcoming train show, I have used whatever spare pieces of track I had so mixed both types without difficulty.

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

• Like 1

Received the Kato bridges in the mail. My question turns out to be largely academic. As a matter of fact I have a number of options.

1. It is easy to snap out the track piece (see photo). I may replace with hand-laid code 55 track.

2. It was also easy to remove the Kato code 80 rail. If the curvature of the Kato track meets my needs, I'll see if I can thread in code 55 rail and make do with that. 

Thanks for your help.

20220205_103032.jpg

• Like 2

Good news. Bad News.

The good news - Yes, it is possible to replace Kato Unitrak code 80 rail with code 55! The code 55 slipped in easily to the girder bridge deck sleepers (ties).

(see photo below)

The bad news -- The rails are not held tightly. They tip a little. That means the rails could move out of gauge. The problem could be solved by soldering gapped PC board ties to the bottom of the rails to hold them in gauge and upright.

I don't expect to reuse the bridge deck because the track curvature is too tight for my needs. I will likely scratch build a bridge deck and lay code 55 flex on top or hand lay. 

20220217_082810.jpg

• Like 1