Péchot-Bourdon locomotive

Andrew Nummelin

Andrew Nummelin

Yesterday evening on a Zoom session of the Newport Model Railway Society there was a talk about Péchot-Bourdon locos and particularly their use in France during the first world war. Mention was made that one loco was shipped to Japan for evaluation (or copying). Does anyone have any information about the outcome of this?

The image is a bit fuzzy as it's out of a catalogue. Baldwin records suggest a date of 1921.

Scan_20220110 (3).jpg

• Like 2

Interesting, I have a friend who models WW1 trench railways but I had never head of Japan acquiring a copy post war.  I'd be interested to learn more.

I have a book which is about the Imperial Japanese Army's railway regiment and their 60cm gauge line near Narita. The IJA trialed a variety of locos from European builders, examples of which survive today. My recollection is that there's a photo of a Pechot-Bourdon loco in it. I'll have to find it though, and at the moment a lot of my books are in storage as we're doing some painting and redecorating. 

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 1

Just adding that "Pechot'Bourdon" isn't just a locomotive. It's a system by itself (rails, locs, waggons) for covering the ammunitions etc .. deliveries directly close to the battlefield. 

When I was a volunteers at AMTP, a French association for preservation of 60cm rolling stock on the former Pithiviers - Toury line, we were having a Pechot-Bourdon platform modified for serving other purpose than carrying ammos. 

If you're interested in knowing more on it, just look at the FR Wikipedia page.

• Like 1
Andrew Nummelin
4 hours ago, marknewton said:

I have a book which is about the Imperial Japanese Army's railway regiment and their 60cm gauge line near Narita. The IJA trialed a variety of locos from European builders, examples of which survive today. My recollection is that there's a photo of a Pechot-Bourdon loco in it. I'll have to find it though, and at the moment a lot of my books are in storage as we're doing some painting and redecorating. 

All the best,

Mark.

Thanks, hope your painting goes better than mine is at present....

Andrew Nummelin
1 hour ago, JR East said:

Just adding that "Pechot'Bourdon" isn't just a locomotive. It's a system by itself (rails, locs, waggons) for covering the ammunitions etc .. deliveries directly close to the battlefield. 

When I was a volunteers at AMTP, a French association for preservation of 60cm rolling stock on the former Pithiviers - Toury line, we were having a Pechot-Bourdon platform modified for serving other purpose than carrying ammos. 

If you're interested in knowing more on it, just look at the FR Wikipedia page.

Indeed, this was covered in the talk we had. My question just related to what happened in Japan.