News from the Model Railway club 2022

The Birmingham train spotter

The members of the Birmingham model railway club was trusted me on rebuilding the N Gauge Layout we have there, I was thinking do I either keep it has British OO or Start a Japanese one?

Any input from your membership about going Japanese? While it could be a very fun eye catcher for the club, might be provocative for some in the club or intimidating they can’t play on it w.o Japanese trains (but might also open some of their eyes on Japanese train fun!)

I would definitely make sure you have their good blessings to go Japanese as clubs can be cantankerous things at times.

cheers,

jeff

• Like 1

I was thinking do I either keep it has British OO or Start a Japanese one?

considering that the British scales (1:76, 1:148) and Japanese scales (1:80, 1:150) are highly compatible with each other more so than international H0 and N, the restrictive loading gauges of British and Japanese mainline railways are nearly identical, and that there's a lot of technological exchange (Hitachi A-trains) and cultural exchange (weebs) going on between the UK and Japan... why not include both on the same layout?

Edited by quarxilon
forgot about technological exchange
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, quarxilon said:

there's a lot of cultural exchange (weebs) going on between the UK and Japan

Hahaha. I'm not sure I would call weebing "cultural exchange".

Claude_Dreyfus
13 hours ago, The Birmingham train spotter said:

The members of the Birmingham model railway club was trusted me on rebuilding the N Gauge Layout we have there, I was thinking do I either keep it has British OO or Start a Japanese one?

Do you mean 00? Rebuilding to Japanese N from that would be quite an undertaking!

Our club rebuilt our N gauge exhibition layout a few years back, and that proved to be successful.

British layouts are two-a-penny, Japanese gives you something different!

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

British layouts are two-a-penny, Japanese gives you something different!

Certainly should be a hit at the shows and with Continental Modeller if the others in the club are willing to go along.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

Our club rebuilt our N gauge exhibition layout a few years back, and that proved to be successful.

That was a lovely layout. Did your club finish that Berlin HO layout?

• Like 1
Claude_Dreyfus
21 minutes ago, disturbman said:

That was a lovely layout. Did your club finish that Berlin HO layout?

Pretty much, we are into the detailing stage now (that was until we decided a bigger fiddle yard was required the other week!). It wasn't a slavish copy, more 'Inspired by'.

257375320_1882073721983489_8383506043657937951_n.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

Pretty much, we are into the detailing stage now (that was until we decided a bigger fiddle yard was required the other week!). It wasn't a slavish copy, more 'Inspired by'.

257375320_1882073721983489_8383506043657937951_n.jpg

Well, that caught my attention. I spent part of my childhood in Berlin (1980-87 and 95-98). We frequently crossed into East Berlin to visit friends and I have clear memories of the border crossing at Friedrichstrasse.

• Like 1
Claude_Dreyfus
34 minutes ago, The Birmingham train spotter said:

This is what I'm working with 

IMG_2022-01-18-19-45-33-260.jpg

IMG_2022-01-18-19-45-29-100.jpg

IMG_2022-01-18-19-45-26-209.jpg

IMG_2022-01-18-19-45-23-732.jpg

IMG_2022-01-18-19-45-21-355.jpg

Sorry for the thread takeover!

That is certainly a promising base to start your Japanese adventure. I see the potential for a nice semi-rural branch/secondary line. A nice smattering of KiHas would look good...perhaps with the outer circuit fitted with overhead catenary for variety.

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
  • Like 1

@Claude_Dreyfus hey don't worry about it! Today I spoke to the members and they agree that I can add some Japanese Engines to it,I was Planning on a Shinkansen High rise to capture the "Famous Japanese trains"

@katoftw it's not that easy, they want it all ripped up and started again

What are the dimensions of the layout? I don't think you have space for a Shinkansen, the curves look relatively tight. Maybe one of the minis, as if running on a regauged legacy line.

Edited by disturbman
  • Like 1

@disturbman I don't have the dimensions as I haven't checked, I'll have them by Thursday but looking at it I doubt a Shinkansen would cope on this layout

I must have misunderstood you.

You should make it a B-train Shorty layout 😁 You would be able to run anything you want on it.

Edited by disturbman
  • Like 2

A Plan has been formed for his Layout. It will be A Hybrid between British and Japanese N Gauge, in the middle will be a Huge tunnel and on the left will be a English setting and on the right a Japanese setting

• Like 2

Ha good compromise! that usually has to happen with clubs.

One of our club members has a massive Unitrak layout in his basement (like 14 different lines with throttles) and it goes from kyoto at one end thru Philadelphia in the middle and ends at Zurich at the other end. Main lines are a huge loops folded into a large G shape. Trains he has on it are from all these places and limited to trains and trams he has ridden on himself.

jeff

• Like 1
6 hours ago, The Birmingham train spotter said:

@Claude_Dreyfus hey don't worry about it! Today I spoke to the members and they agree that I can add some Japanese Engines to it,I was Planning on a Shinkansen High rise to capture the "Famous Japanese trains"

@katoftw it's not that easy, they want it all ripped up and started again

I would stop there. I see no reason to rip it all up.

By ripping it all up. All you have left is a base board. As a club layout, you shouldn't be doing all the work.

They way I see it. If you are basicly starting from nothing. Then you might as well just do your own.

• Like 1

Existing inner loop too tight for shinkansens; middle loop, might be possible but won't look right; outer loop will work.

Must all be ripped up?!? Someone either want's their track back or there's an issue or bunch of for what's currently there.

• Like 1

Only 600mm wide? Those curves must be tight? What do you plan on running? Probably kiss shinkansens goodbye. If you care for those.

All this info you are providing. I'd seriously consider if this layout is for you.

Would still make a good small town or rural layout.

Edited by katoftw
Claude_Dreyfus

2' width is workable for most N gauge stock (although the Shinkansen may have a challenge) and many N gauge layouts in the UK are built to that width.

• Like 1

The inside curve must be about European R1 radius (192mm). If going Japanese, I would look at rural third sector companies running short rolling-stock, with perhaps a street running à la Enoshima or Kumaden.

Edited by disturbman