Tram Line - how short is too short?

scott

I'm starting to reconsider the tram line that I added to the main town/station area of our layout. It's not all that long--maybe 5 or 6 feet? I should measure... And it's only a single track--didn't have room for two tracks, or room or money for lots of little passing sidings.

Anyway, it's cramping the area I need for the station building, and I'm starting to think that it's a lot of trouble and expense (I haven't bought the automated controller yet) for a short run. Any thoughts?

I have a tram line on a 12 x 24 inch slab of Styrofoam.  I use Tomix C103 curves and have 2.14 metres of track on that little layout including a passing siding and three storage sidings. The cars just go around and around.  Once Christmas is over I will take photos and post a track plan on my blog.  

Another thought.  Many tram lines were very short and most Japanese tram lines are relatively short as it is. There are no 24.8 kilometres (15.4 miles) lines like 501 Queen in Toronto. Okayma's two line system is only 4.7 Km.

You could give the illusion of it going somewhere by having it disappear between two buildings like this line in Matsuyama on Shikoku.

post-218-13569923632744_thumb.jpg

Okayma's two line system is only 4.7 Km.

Good point--but in scale terms, I have about 0.25km in view.  :grin

You could give the illusion of it going somewhere by having it disappear between two buildings like this line in Matsuyama on Shikoku.

I did have one end running into a hidden space; I could dress it up to look more like that picture. And if the gap between the buildings is narrow enough, there would be no need for a tunnel roof, and so access would be easier.