Bochum Dahlhausen Railway Museum

JR East

Hi Fans, 

In 2013, having a day off in Germany in the middle of the week when I was working for a customer in Düsseldorf, I've decided to go to Bochum Dahlhausen Railway Museum

It's a particular nice museum, esp. out of weekend days. They've lot of locotomotives, cars stored waiting for being refurbished etc ....

The've also quite interesting "prototypes"

(I let you triple click on the pictures to go to the max size and see details despite I've resized them to lower the impact on JNS site storage)

IMG_0012.thumb.JPG.8197c86ae1cac245c28b383ba025d583.JPG

This "Schienenbus" (litterally Railbus)

IMG_0006.thumb.JPG.97cebf4a4df4043a2e9ed59b369488e3.JPG

An interesting DMV ("Schienen-Straßen-Omnibus")

IMG_0100.thumb.JPG.c1964526fa8958914351cc2326a0c6d9.JPG

And this incredible "Tunnelmesswagen", thus a tunnel measuring service engine (Bo Bo)

IMG_0101.thumb.JPG.d2e3663faddc3b0f058667061dc00b5f.JPG

also known as "tunnel's hedgehog". 

IMG_0102.thumb.JPG.1451b5aeb40a23eea9df40d9217d7f44.JPG

and identified in Wikipedia as DB 712 001.

I have a couple of pictures of steam locs (cold) as well as roundhouse etc ... I can post too. 

JM

Edited by JR East
typos, title change
  • Like 3
roadstar_na6

They've since done quite some big renovations, I've been there a few times in the past years. They even have a museum weekend where SLs from all over Germany gather.

Edited by roadstar_na6
  • JR East changed the title to Bochum Dahlhausen Railway Museum
11 minutes ago, roadstar_na6 said:

They've since done quite some big renovations, I've been there a few times in the past years. They even have a museum weekend where SLs from all over Germany gather.

I've removed 2013 from the title, if you've additional pictures, feel free to add them. 

JM

From that second picture, it looks like the new Japanese "Dual-Mode Vehicle" is certainly not the first, as they claim. I also know of several dual-mode bus/railcars in U.S. history. I think the real "first" would be one that works well year-round and stays in long term, reliable service through ice, snow, wet leaves, etc. on the rails.

Rich K.

• Like 1
On 1/6/2022 at 11:06 AM, JR East said:

IMG_0012.thumb.JPG.8197c86ae1cac245c28b383ba025d583.JPG

This "Schienenbus" (litterally Railbus)

I believe that is one of the Wismar railbuses developed in the late 30’s. 

Due to the “snout” on the front end, they were nicknamed Schweineschnäuzchen (pig’s snout).

On 1/7/2022 at 6:44 AM, brill27mcb said:

From that second picture, it looks like the new Japanese "Dual-Mode Vehicle" is certainly not the first, as they claim. I also know of several dual-mode bus/railcars in U.S. history. I think the real "first" would be one that works well year-round and stays in long term, reliable service through ice, snow, wet leaves, etc. on the rails.

Rich K.

Well. it could be said that the DMV is the first self-contained integrated dual mode vehicle in current revenue service, as the the German example had the rail bogies separate and the bus had to be jacked up onto them in order to run on rails. I dunno about N. Am. examples, was the GM Fishbowl Bus used by Red Arrow Lines using integral bogies directly attached to the bus body/frame? Tokushima Pref. probably is bandying about liberally the "worlds first" claim anyway, in order to attract tourism dollars, as I doubt the locals will use it much anyway, as they almost all drive to get anywhere, like here in Hokkaido. 

The Red Arrow Lines GM bus had hydraulically-lowered flanged wheels tucked up under the chassis. The rear bus tires were left in contact with the rails for tractive force. I had a summer job on the track gang in 1970, right after SEPTA took over Red Arrow, and one rainy day a co-worker and I discovered the removed flanged wheel units buried in storage bins in the car shop. The experiment did not last long, and the bus had been returned to normal service. Generally with this sort of modification, the ride quality is not good, and neither is the traction of rubber tire on narrow railhead.

Rich K.