World Craft DCC conversion

I expect you are familiar with the wonderful N Gauge brass locos produced by Word Craft (World Kogei). There is a pretty comprehensive list on their web site:

https://world-kougei.com/

I have recently acquired an N Gauge model of the EF15. I thought I could convert this to DCC but now that it has arrived I am not clear how to access the interior. Since it is brass construction I am pretty sure I should not be thinking of prising the body sides apart as I would with a plastic model. There are a few screws visible but these are for securing details onto the chassis base. There is a screw beneath each bogie but there is no obvious way of accessing this without removing the bogie, and I cannot see how this could be done either!

I have tried to locate some assembly instructions online but have so far failed to find anything relevant to securing the body to the chassis. Have you any idea of how this might be done, or could you point me towards a web site where such advice might be obtained?

A friend has sent a link which is the closest to my model:
https://world-kougei.com/SHOP/6054293.html

It looks the same, but mine is labeled EF15 and not EF13 as on the World Kougei web site. The photo of the chassis seems to suggest it should come out as a complete entity, which is what I was expecting. However, it is still not clear to me how to detach the body. Can anyone on this Forum please help?

All the best,
Mike

Edited by msr
  • Like 1
Martijn Meerts

Is it a full kit, or just a body kit? World Kougei has both a full kit including the chassis etc, but also a body shell kit that fits certain Kato chassis.

If it's a full kit, it's highly likely that the shell is indeed fastened with some screws, that's at least the case on all the kits I have (partially) built. It's kinda hard to say though, since they do change the way the shell attaches from 1 model to the next based on size and how much space there is available. It would probably help if you post a couple of pictures of the model in question.

This appears to be a factory-constructed kit. It is a challenge to take photos so close up but I hope these are sufficient to show the situation (a few more to follow . . . ).

IMG_2272.JPG

IMG_2273.JPG

IMG_2274.JPG

Martijn Meerts

I had a quick look at an EF13 and EF53 kit I have here, and in both of those cases the shell is screwed in place with 4 screws. The equivalent of those would be on your 2nd picture, where you have the screw on the side of the loco, in between the large gaps between wheels.

Can't say with 100% certainty that those are the correct screws of course, but it would seem the mostly likely ones to me anyway.

Could you possibly post a photo of the EF13 chassis or give some measurements (e.g distance from the end of the chassis) to help me identify the equivalent holes on mine. The obvious one in my second photo is hidden by the bogie and it is not ovbious how the bogie would detach to give access. The only easily accessible holes merely hold the vacuum tank pairs in place (two each side).

Edited by msr
Martijn Meerts

I haven't actually finished building the EF13, but here's a picture of the partially built chassis and the main part of the shell where it's fastened onto the chassis.

World-Kougei-EF13.jpg

1 indicates the holes in the frame where the screws go in. I've not yet actually bent the bit here backwards, nor tapped the holes for the screws.

2 indicates the holes in the chassis where the frame will sit on. The side tanks are mounted through the same holes as well.

S indicates the screws (obviously :))

So, the screws first go through the holes in the chassis (2), then through the holes in the side tanks assembly (not pictured), and then screw into the chassis (1)

Again, this is a somewhat different loco, but both this one and the EF53 are very similar with how the shell it attached to the chassis, so there's a good chance your EF15 is the same.

Thank you very much, Martijn. I had not appreciated that the two pairs of screws holding the side tanks were also securing the body to the chassis. Removing all four screws allowed the body to be removed to reveal the chassis.

It is very straightforward once you know.

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

Ah, nice 🙂

Quite interesting it didn't come with some sort of instructions on how to remove the shell or at least how to service the thing really.

The only instructions were of how to fit the couplers, with a diagram to show how to fold the little brass box that holds the Rapido or Microtrains coupler of choice. Also missing was any indication of where to place the enclosed number plates, but reference to photos solves that.

Once again, thank you very much for your help.

Martijn Meerts

Their building instructions aren't always the best either, takes a while to figure out how to read them well.

But at least you have a lovely loco, and the World Kougei stuff, especially the newer ones, tends to have somewhat better detail than Kato / Tomix / MicroAce.