EH200 undercarriage and bogie color??

Beck

After finding photos of the EH200, likely just after it left the factory, I noticed that the bogies, wheels, and some of the undercarriage are painted a lighter shade of gray than the body. However, the models do not reflect this coloring as the whole undercarriage, bogie and body are all painted the darker shade of gray. Why might this be?

model:

https://postatsugi.exblog.jp/23529465/

EH200-21+EF641000

https://www.flickr.com/photos/japanrail/7076290849/

For reference, the model version in my possession (Kato):

33752112998_24498938f2_z.jpg

Kato EH200 (EH200-12) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

1 hour ago, Beck said:

After finding photos of the EH200, likely just after it left the factory, I noticed that the bogies, wheels, and some of the undercarriage are painted a lighter shade of gray than the body. However, the models do not reflect this coloring as the whole undercarriage, bogie and body are all painted the darker shade of gray. Why might this be?

My money would be on a) ca. 98% of purchasers probably don't know or care enough about a slight difference in shade (and those who do are likely to fix it themselves or apply weathering etc.); b) keeping costs down so these models remain available at their remarkably user-friendly prices.

• Like 1

Thank you all!

I understand that the reason for the coloring is likely the cost, but suppose we were given a choice to purchase the model with either the light or dark gray.

Would the dark gray be more prototypical as it better replicates the weathering of the locomotive as it is in service or would the light gray be more accurate?

Touching on what @railsquid was talking about, most of the Japanese models underbody parts are not painted but are moulded in a suitable colour plastic. This keeps the cost down as only body design needs pad printing. This is the case on both N and HO with Kato and Tomix but easy to pick out the dampeners and other details with some paint for those wanting a more detailed model. Obviously HO has much more detail and is usually moulded in multiple parts rather than the single price found on N locos.