Traffic temporarily suspended on parts of the Tokaido main line.

MeTheSwede

Kawase in Shiga Prefecture just down the line from Maibara and Hikone.  The area up around Maibara is liable to get dumpings of snow, but it's a bit more unusual for it to be this much down by the lake on the flat lands.

A youtuber visited Maibara today by shinkansen (the zairaisen services suspended as noted above).  Tokaido shinkansen running through the station at reduced speed, sprinklers in action etc.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, bikkuri bahn said:

Kawase in Shiga Prefecture just down the line from Maibara and Hikone.  The area up around Maibara is liable to get dumpings of snow, but it's a bit more unusual for it to be this much down by the lake on the flat lands.

Yeah, I was quite surprised when I saw the location of the station. Not the typical place I'd expect that kind of snowfall in.

There is a ski field on the other side of the lake. So not abnormal for this area to get snow. At some point every few years it is higher amount.

Edited by katoftw

That's a bit like describing the aftermath of a major earthquake as:  "There's an active fault line on the other side of the lake. So not abnormal for this area to experience tremors. At some point every few years they are stronger".

Just in case the point needs clarifying:

Record snowfall was recorded in the 24 hours from early Sunday to 6:30 a.m. Monday in Hikone, Shiga Prefecture (68 cms) and Asago, Hyogo Prefecture (71 cms).

https://japantoday.com/category/national/Heavy-snow-hits-western-northern-Japan

Edited by railsquid

YouTube member Japanese Train Observation Channel filmed a zenmen tenbō video of a trip from Maibara to Himeji shortly after the line reopened after that heavy snowfall mentioned above. Yikes.

• Like 1