Your Christmas Haul

Mudkip Orange

Two Kato Eurostar set: I bought the 8 car set at the Stuttgart International N-Scale Convention in November but my wife put away the box until Christmas, plus she bought me a 4 car additional set on eBay.

05_eurostarral_fel_a_hidra.JPG

Thinking back...

I didn't get anytrain for Christmas  :sad: I guess I am on the naughty list of Model Rail Santa this year.  :angel12:

I did get a coal, I mean cold, on Christmas Eve.  It kept me warm in the blanket for 3 days!

In between, I had dinners with friends and family and gift cards and boxes of chocolates.

Oh well maybe better luck next year  :laugh:

IST

Thats a very nice looking Eurostar set!  I think wives seem to be an excellent thing!

Graham

Thanks and you're right, my wife is an angel as she accept my hobbies and can buy me some little model train. Of course she asks everytime what would I like to have.  :cheesy

Claude_Dreyfus

A couple of books for me from my Mum... Mrs Dreyfus steadfastly refuses to get me anything railway related  :sad:

This years 'Happy Birthday Claude, from Claude' arrived yesterday. The Micro Ace EF55-1, which looks very impressive; been after one of these for years. May have to get the track set out tonight for a test run  :grin. Also in that parcel is a really nice N Gauge model of a Volvo V70, which I think may be Pro-Hobby. Rather pricey, came out at about £6.00 which is quite steep for a single N Gauge car, but one of those 'must haves' as I have the 1:1 version (although the real thing is a slightly older model).

Not under the tree, but my PG OO Raiser Gundam arrived just in time, and I also got a note today that my reserved Odakyu 50000 VSE is in stock :)

Oooh. nice, Raiser.. how much did you pay for that?  I bought a RX178 II PG off ebay just before christmas, spent 2 weeks painting it and 3 nights assmbling it :)

Two Kato Eurostar set: I bought the 8 car set at the Stuttgart International N-Scale Convention in November but my wife put away the box until Christmas, plus she bought me a 4 car additional set on eBay.

05_eurostarral_fel_a_hidra.JPG

Is that Eurostar in the pic the full 22 car set or the 14 car regional Eurostar set?
qwertyaardvark

Is that Eurostar in the pic the full 22 car set or the 14 car regional Eurostar set?

I could be wrong, armed only with Wikipedia, but the Eurostar comes in either 16-car (14 carriages, Regional Eurostar?, North of London) set or 20-car (18 carriages, Eurostar?, Three Capital) sets. As i am an owner of this set as well, I was at first confused about what kato was modeling. Kato made one base set with 8 cars, and only one type of expansion set of 4 cars. The set pictured above has the livery of the Eurostar service, which has 20 cars, though you can only "properly" make the 16-car set (8+4+4). Using Kato's sets to make the 20-car Three Capitals set (8+4+4+4) you end up with an extra bar/restaurant car.

These are only my own conclusions, so can anyone back this up? I also have wondered if Kato made only 16 cars for Eurostar in order to make it equally match the Shinkansen's 16-car length... ^^;;

Oops, thanks for correcting me as it is 20 cars and not 22 cars on the Three-Capital sets as I originally thought. Apologies for the mix up there ???.

Claude_Dreyfus

I could be wrong, armed only with Wikipedia, but the Eurostar comes in either 16-car (14 carriages, Regional Eurostar?, North of London) set or 20-car (18 carriages, Eurostar?, Three Capital) sets. As i am an owner of this set as well, I was at first confused about what kato was modeling. Kato made one base set with 8 cars, and only one type of expansion set of 4 cars. The set pictured above has the livery of the Eurostar service, which has 20 cars, though you can only "properly" make the 16-car set (8+4+4). Using Kato's sets to make the 20-car Three Capitals set (8+4+4+4) you end up with an extra bar/restaurant car.

These are only my own conclusions, so can anyone back this up? I also have wondered if Kato made only 16 cars for Eurostar in order to make it equally match the Shinkansen's 16-car length... ^^;;

Correct... To make an accurate Eurostar model you need to reshuffle a couple of the intermediate sets. I have a friend who has a full-length accurate set, you actually need to buy five add-on sets (one extra) and rearrange two of them - I cannot exactly recall what the make up was. He then flogged the remaining coaches as part of a scratch 4-car set on ebay....and still managed to get over £100.00 for them...

Correct... To make an accurate Eurostar model you need to reshuffle a couple of the intermediate sets. I have a friend who has a full-length accurate set, you actually need to buy five add-on sets (one extra) and rearrange two of them - I cannot exactly recall what the make up was. He then flogged the remaining coaches as part of a scratch 4-car set on ebay....and still managed to get over £100.00 for them...

Everybody has right, this is not a complete and accurate Eurostar train, only the 8+4 sets from Kato. You can buy the 8 pack as new, but the add-on set only available as second hand if I know well, so not so easy to buy it, especially from here (there are lot of trader on eBay also, who does not post to Hungary). It would be great if I can make the full 20 car set, but it is not available as RTR model, you have to buy lot of add-on so quite expensive, and rebuild 1 or 2 cars (I think). And you need a bigger living room than I have to run the full train.  :cheesy

Does anyone on this board have a layout with a platform long enough to accommodate a 20-car train?

There is a five car train sitting in my station right now. It takes up 30 inches.  A 20-car station would be 120 inches or 10 feet.  Then you need  switches and curves which aren't included in the above.  It would require a full basement.  I'm in an apartment, so it won't be built by me.  And that's why some things can only be done on the floor!

Martijn Meerts

I believe the Eurostar and TGV's etc. have shorter cars than your average Japanese trains. I'm guessing a 20 car Eurostar would be about the same length as a 16 car shinkansen.

I believe the Eurostar and TGV's etc. have shorter cars than your average Japanese trains. I'm guessing a 20 car Eurostar would be about the same length as a 16 car shinkansen.

Hi Matijn!

Eurostar 20 cars 394mt, Shinkansen 500 16 cars 404mt

ciao

Massimo

Krackel Hopper

hey hey,

I wound up with quite a haul!

Kato: 10-916

10045326.jpg

Kato: 3019-9

img55898369.jpg

Kato: 10-306

10003409.jpg

MicroAce: A0424

20181_1.jpg

MicroAce: A8715

img55882876.jpg

Senseki Line from the parents, Rainbow + Loco from the girlfriend, the DE10 & Series 103 from myself..

I'm probably going to sound like a prat asking this. But does that mean that each Shinkansen carriage is about the same length of a SNCF Corail or a OBB/DB passenger carriage then?

Hobby Dreamer

Glad you all had a great Christmas!

I received 8 non-motored Tomytec Portrams (that I actually bought for myself) and some related N scale structures (non-Japanese).

I am super impressed with the quality of the trams, from the details to the paint (its called something like Tampo(?)). Even the price is exceptional when one looks at some vehicles of the same size in other scales. Dummy trams are great for dioramas.

I also got a table from Ikea that has 2 folding leaves so it will be the main work bench until it turns into a layout base. It was on sale at 50% off, and given that it can fold to a small size it has everything one could reasonably want! (Except that its too heavy to remove from my trunk so it will be done piece by piece when I make room to build it)

I also ordered the Kato tram set from HW but have not heard anything. From what Bill says, it may be a few weeks.

Bill posted a terrific video of a Kato tram layout that showcased the trams extremely well. With a few more track configurations and new trams (to satisfy the collectors) model trams might become the latest craze given the small footprint requirement and that Kato was wise to permit Unitrack track to connect to their tram track.

I hope you all had a chance for a few days off for some R&R and modelling!

Cheers

Rick

Krackel Hopper

10045326.jpg

What's this one like--does it run well?

It runs great!  Looks great too!

Maybe it's because this is really my first commuter style train, but the directional lighting on it looks just spectacular.  I thought the directional lighting on my 923 Dr. Yellow was neat.. but I am even more impressed with this set.

The only "issue" I have is that the powered car is a little difficult to get on the tracks.  I'm not sure what it is, it looks and feels like it's on when you give it a little push, but when you add power you can just hear the wheels spinning.  A little extra care to properly seat the powered car and the set runs very nice, very quiet.

I'm probably going to sound like a prat asking this. But does that mean that each Shinkansen carriage is about the same length of a SNCF Corail or a OBB/DB passenger carriage then?

Hi

for european coaches you can see this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UIC_passenger_coach_types all passenger coach produced in Europe in the last 40 years for international service are base on this (excluding EMU composition like ICE or TGV)

Shinkasen intermediate coach are 25mt, head cars a little bit much, around 27mt (nose lenght), mini Shinkansen 400, E3 and future E5 inetrmediate coach are 20,5mt  (head cars around 23mt)

Ciao

Massimo

10045326.jpg

What's this one like--does it run well?

It runs great!  Looks great too!

Maybe it's because this is really my first commuter style train, but the directional lighting on it looks just spectacular.  I thought the directional lighting on my 923 Dr. Yellow was neat.. but I am even more impressed with this set.

The only "issue" I have is that the powered car is a little difficult to get on the tracks.  I'm not sure what it is, it looks and feels like it's on when you give it a little push, but when you add power you can just hear the wheels spinning.  A little extra care to properly seat the powered car and the set runs very nice, very quiet.

Hey Krackel Im curious do you have any video of the directional lighting on this set. Im kind of interested in this set too.