New EF510-300 for Kyushu

Hakubi Line

Das Steinkopf

Nice to see that they will be new build locomotives rather than rebuilds of either the EF510-0's or EF510-500's, I am curious to see how many will be built, I am also curious as to what is happening with the older EF510 variants as there seems to be more of them working the Tokaido Honsen these days, there has been be moves recently to introduce the EH500's to freight services on the Sea of Japan side of Honshu to displace the remaining EF81's and possibly some of the EF510's.

Edited by Das Steinkopf

Not sure if EF81-303 is still being used. Certainly haven’t seen it for a while.There’s still a couple of EF81-400s used by JRF that are looking pretty worse for wear. 

Das Steinkopf
1 hour ago, Kamome said:

Not sure if EF81-303 is still being used. Certainly haven’t seen it for a while.There’s still a couple of EF81-400s used by JRF that are looking pretty worse for wear. 

It still seems to be in regular use as I see at least one video a week on the JRF group on Facebook, from what I have seen it is generally running along the Kagoshima Line from Tashiro to Kagoshima.

Funnily enough, I went camping in Saga prefecture this weekend and saw EF81 303 hauling a half loaded container train along the Nagasaki main line.

• Like 2