Birmingham Model Railway Club Pictures

The Birmingham train spotter

At the Birmingham model railway club we try our best to show off our N,OO,O and HO scale trains and layouts,I wanted to post some pictures of engines running on our smaller layout,main layouts and our work in progress layouts and future events. Our first image I took is of a Hornby OO scale Class 47

class_47_on_the_other_railway_by_wilhurt44_depcmpm-pre.jpg

• Like 3

A British classic sight in the 1980s to 1990s a BR Class 58 58001 with some hoppers!

IMG_20211109_185450.jpg

• Like 1

I’m a bit lost with all of the newer rail tour and freight operators on top of all those franchises with regular passenger services. 

Colas, DRS, DB Cargo, GBRf, Freightliner. I still remember the Railfreight sector logos on the two-tone grey locos. A simpler time.

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 3
9 hours ago, The Birmingham train spotter said:

DRS Class 37 37229 with a railway crane on stand by

IMG_20211109_185502.jpg

Nice. I had one of those green steamies in OO when I was a kid (or something very like it). It was a super fast runner, and that surprised me. The day I got it I ran it on full speed. It derailed itself on the first corner and leapt off the train table, flying through mid-air and landing with a plop in a bucket of wallpaper paste (papier masche, y'know). I nearly had a heart attack. Fortunately, my Dad helped me carefully cleat it off, and it was no worse for wear. Good times!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Some O gauge Action,we have some GWR stuff including a 14XX Autotank,a panier tank and a GWR Railcar

IMG_20211109_190823.jpg

IMG_20211109_190831.jpg

IMG_20211109_190826.jpg

• Like 1
Claude_Dreyfus
On 11/10/2021 at 11:42 PM, Kamome said:

I’m a bit lost with all of the newer rail tour and freight operators on top of all those franchises with regular passenger services. 

Colas, DRS, DB Cargo, GBRf, Freightliner. I still remember the Railfreight sector logos on the two-tone grey locos. A simpler time.

It gets even more confusing when brand new locos (well, a rebuild in one case and an recent import in another) are painted in 1980s liveries...

69002.thumb.jpg.5c6e575cc04baa9efa801c378e431e0f.jpg

My photo

Eastleigh Works 66793

Flickr link

• Like 1

I agree,that first one is a br Class 69 a new engine of its kind,we in the uk don't need new engines like that and that 66 Livery is common,most 66s have strange liverys,including freightliner orange

Final pictures until two weeks time.A Classic BR class 8F and a Small 0-4-0 shunter both in BR Black

IMG_20211109_191207.jpg

IMG_20211109_191453.jpg

• Like 2

That BR blue large logo was always a favourite of mine but more confusion when it’s on a class 56 that’s no longer a 56 but a class 69.

That 66 in Railfreight Construction looks quite nice. Looks like this photo was taken at Eastleigh, not far from where i grew up.

• Like 1
Claude_Dreyfus
23 minutes ago, The Birmingham train spotter said:

I agree,that first one is a br Class 69 a new engine of its kind,we in the uk don't need new engines like that and that 66 Livery is common,most 66s have strange liverys,including freightliner orange

The 69 fulfils a certain requirement. GBRf need locos, and there are no more class 66s to come as their production-line has ceased, and in any event their power units no longer meet environmental requirements. The last were delivered by a sleight-of-hand by delivering the engines to the UK before the new regulations kicked in, then sending them back to the US for fitting (which circumvented the rules). They have been scrabbling around throughout Europe for spare locos and have been able to fulfil some of their requirements, but by no means all.

Getting further new locos with the sufficient power output will be tricky as they need to fit the restricted UK loading gauge as well as meeting environmental standards. DBS have little interest in selling many redundant locos, and are only obliged to sell locos they gained at privatisation (some recent demic class 60s were put out to tender), which means they have no obligation to sell any redundant class 66s or 67s (although some 67s have been moved on). GBRf had little choice but to think outside pf the box (although not too outside the box as we already have the class 57s which had followed the same approach), and there were plenty of old class 56s lying around (or purchased from preservation). As they were being completely rebuilt their internal condition didn't matter.

The same went for their external condition, given the amount of body filler exhibited by 69003 when it passed my local town on its way for painting!

69003.thumb.jpg.175a1c7176569e9a7737dc497ce8a890.jpg

GBRf has gained some of the contracts for the HS2 construction, which will require plenty of additional locos. I understand the 69s are to backfill the 66s which will be used on the project - and being a small class will spend most of their time operating in a more limited area, currently out of Tonbridge and Eastleigh.

So far only 66793 is the only class 66 to carry this livery, but there are rumours of more interesting liveries to come. I agree the Genesee and Wyoming livery looks odd on the 66, the livery suits the big American lumps far better (despite the 66 being a US-built loco).

• Like 2
Claude_Dreyfus
28 minutes ago, Kamome said:

That BR blue large logo was always a favourite of mine but more confusion when it’s on a class 56 that’s no longer a 56 but a class 69.

That 66 in Railfreight Construction looks quite nice. Looks like this photo was taken at Eastleigh, not far from where i grew up.

Yes, the 66 picture is taken at Eastleigh, although it is not my photo (grabbed from Flickr for illustrative purposes). I spend many happy hours there in my early teen years in the early 1990s; when railfrieght grey ruled the roost!

The 69 is an odd beast, the body of a 56, the roof similar to a 60 and sounds like a 66! They are not displeasing to look at.

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
  • Like 1

Reminds me a bit of when I was in the UK in 2014 for the first time in many years, and was standing at Marylebone and was utterly bemused to see a rake of blue/grey Mk3s trundle into the platform (my first thought was "WTF are Mk3s doing at Marylebone?", and my second thought was "WTF, did I time-travel to 1984?").

(In classic British railways style my travel plans for that day involved Hereford via Newport, but as the signalling at Paddington had decided to take the morning off, I decided to go via Birmingham).

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

The 69 fulfils a certain requirement. GBRf need locos, and there are no more class 66s to come as their production-line has ceased, and in any event their power units no longer meet environmental requirements. The last were delivered by a sleight-of-hand by delivering the engines to the UK before the new regulations kicked in, then sending them back to the US for fitting (which circumvented the rules). They have been scrabbling around throughout Europe for spare locos and have been able to fulfil some of their requirements, but by no means all.

Getting further new locos with the sufficient power output will be tricky as they need to fit the restricted UK loading gauge as well as meeting environmental standards. DBS have little interest in selling many redundant locos, and are only obliged to sell locos they gained at privatisation (some recent demic class 60s were put out to tender), which means they have no obligation to sell any redundant class 66s or 67s (although some 67s have been moved on). GBRf had little choice but to think outside pf the box (although not too outside the box as we already have the class 57s which had followed the same approach), and there were plenty of old class 56s lying around (or purchased from preservation). As they were being completely rebuilt their internal condition didn't matter.

The same went for their external condition, given the amount of body filler exhibited by 69003 when it passed my local town on its way for painting!

69003.thumb.jpg.175a1c7176569e9a7737dc497ce8a890.jpg

GBRf has gained some of the contracts for the HS2 construction, which will require plenty of additional locos. I understand the 69s are to backfill the 66s which will be used on the project - and being a small class will spend most of their time operating in a more limited area, currently out of Tonbridge and Eastleigh.

So far only 66793 is the only class 66 to carry this livery, but there are rumours of more interesting liveries to come. I agree the Genesee and Wyoming livery looks odd on the 66, the livery suits the big American lumps far better (despite the 66 being a US-built loco).

Yeah not a great looking livery on this loco. Looks like a modern version of a Thomas the Tank Engine story.

“Freddy went head first into the  tankers and got all covered in cement.”

• Like 1

New pictures: A Standard class Arrives to take a train of Mineral wagons and hoppers as A BR class 08 sits close by,then a BR class 25 pulls into the yard

IMG_20211116_190647.jpg

IMG_20211116_190843.jpg

• Like 1

Nice

I don't know whether it's an optic illusion but on the 2nd picture, the bank of the track seems to be tilted on the wrong side. 

JM

• Like 1