West Express Ginga --Trying a Brand New Stylish Overnight Train in Japan (Kyoto→Shingu)

bill937ca

My understanding was that night trains were an endangered species and on their way out. I thought I saw that the Sunrise Seto was the last overnight train. I’m happy to see that there’s a new one.

Very odd.  I watched it last night but now it is gone from his youtube channel.  Made me want to ride the train - it seems really nice.  Of course, I tend to react that way to many Japanese trains .....

Tony

Edited by Tony Galiani
grammar correction

Above link to train discussion when first introduced 18ish months ago. Some useful links also for carriage layout etc in there.

The train was originally run up to Matsue when first introduced. Does the new video say when it started running to Shingu?

As mentioned in the link and official announcements, the train was to run to improve tourism to slowly forgotten regions in West Japan

Shingu for example makes a lot of sense.  Great trail walks and that well know pagoda and waterfall scene. But does take a long time to get to. 4-5 hours from my memory, travelling from Osaka. Not really a day or overnight-weekend trip. Overnight train negates this.