N Gauge japanese starter

The Birmingham train spotter

Yeah folks get use to what the live in. Since there are big model rr communities, companies, and shops/dealers in the US they get use to it being available local or at worst web order from w.in the us. The idea of importing most everything is totally opposite to all their experience. Also many have had one or two bad experiences with eBay shops/sellers or other online sales, so the thought of now it being overseas in a different language and currency inflates those fears and that does logically make sense. The kicker to get across is how good and trustworthy the usual Japanese shops are as well as the shipping. It’s sort of hard to register that until you experience it. I’m guessing in 25+ years of importing from japan and im guessing 500+ Packages none ever lost or destroyed, only a handful really delayed in shipping, and never really an issue (few little things were resolved excellently) with a shop. It is pretty amazing.

It’s also hard to impress the fact the Japanese model train market dwarfs our US market and that the average quality is so high and that both make buying from japan even safer.

jeff

• Like 1
On 10/25/2021 at 4:05 AM, Szdfan said:

My approach with both Plaza Japan and Hobby Search is to make a couple of small orders as a test, so that if things go south, I haven’t lost a lot of money. So far, so good.

I like that Plaza Japan includes fancy Japanese erasers in their orders as a thank you. 

God, I don't know where to store all these erasers by now lol

I can highly recommend PlazaJapan, they also sport a variety of shipping options too (personally use FedEx as they offer to sort customs for a small fee)

• Like 1

Welcome Wolf.

It's nice to see more people using Plaza. I always have the feeling that most of us only ordered from Hobby Search or amiami when it comes to big retailers.

How much is FedEx's fee? DHL always bills 6€ for the great privilege of letting you pay the Zoll at the shop or your door, if they bother checking with you if you have the change. But I never pay premium, express delivery, I never felt it was needed.

I’ve always tried to send some business plaza’s way from the early days where they were on of the few sources easily used. Usually the source for me for Tomytec vehicles for some odd reason they have been always a great price shipped from them.

jeff

• Like 1
On 10/26/2021 at 11:45 AM, MeTheSwede said:

The perils of living in a large country!

Those of us who live in small countries are less likely to develop that particular kind of internet shopping fears. 😎

Admitedly I'm a bit extreme, having navigated and used webshops in 7 different foreign languages while doing internet shopping. 

I live in the middle-of-nowhere in a big country. The Internet is my friend.

On 10/26/2021 at 12:35 PM, cteno4 said:

Yeah folks get use to what the live in. Since there are big model rr communities, companies, and shops/dealers in the US they get use to it being available local or at worst web order from w.in the us. The idea of importing most everything is totally opposite to all their experience. Also many have had one or two bad experiences with eBay shops/sellers or other online sales, so the thought of now it being overseas in a different language and currency inflates those fears and that does logically make sense. The kicker to get across is how good and trustworthy the usual Japanese shops are as well as the shipping. It’s sort of hard to register that until you experience it. I’m guessing in 25+ years of importing from japan and im guessing 500+ Packages none ever lost or destroyed, only a handful really delayed in shipping, and never really an issue (few little things were resolved excellently) with a shop. It is pretty amazing.

It’s also hard to impress the fact the Japanese model train market dwarfs our US market and that the average quality is so high and that both make buying from japan even safer.

jeff

I also feel that American modelers tend to be more “xenophobic” (is that the right word?) and tend to forget that there are railroads in other countries worth pursuing and modeling (to me the British seem more open).

My friend Chris used to infuriate people at his local train club with his Soviet prototype models. 

On Facebook, Trains Magazine recently posted that Iowa Interstate Chinese-built no. 6988 is being put into storage pending it’s 15 year boiler inspection and someone commented that they only want to see American built equipment on American track. 

The idea of modeling a foreign prototype seems, well, foreign.

I have the opposite problem — it’s easy for me to get too interested in too many prototypes. 

I really appreciate this group and I feel like it’s becoming my Internet train home.

• Like 4

It’s a big country and many (especially in the past) never really traveled much internationally so just not so exposed much. Many are just interested in what’s around them, understandable and to each their own, but I wouldn’t call these xenophobic. Luckily in all our shows the truly “xenophobic” were pretty rare (those that at least said something to the effect), but there always be a few of those bigoted idiots just about everywhere in the world sadly. 

For the most part our Japanese layout and trains have been well excepted by modelers here. Part may be we are in DC area where there is more international environment and many have traveled. Talking with people also really helps. I’ve had many interactions with us centric modelers at the layout at shows that started, at times, a little bit tense on Japanese/foreign trains but as we talked and showed them things and told them why I enjoyed modeling japan and Japanese trains and things usually ended up in a much more accepting understanding position. Usually bringing it around to the modeling aspects where it’s common ground helps and then expand into how Japanese modeling can allow a bit more variety and abundance of that helps. Few I’ve started when I hear someone commenting to a friend a semi bigoted comment or mis-information loud enough to be heard some distance so I figure it’s fair game to engage! Usually knocks them back I would respond to the comment, but I don’t get nasty, just pleasant and try to correct the mis-information. Of course a few are just too far down the rabbit hole, but many do get a tad embarrassed a bit by their comments when they are out in the open and come around an bit apologetic.

At public, non train shows it’s totally different, I don’t think I ever got a bigoted comment about Japanese trains or modeling. Just a lot of interest from folks either expanding on what they already had been exposed to a little or those finding it new and really being amazed by it all. Always so enjoyable to have those interactions. Most of why we do the club is to expose the public to Japanese trains and modeling to widen the horizons.

I expect as time marches on a lot of the xenophobia that is there will fade as the younger modelers and those just getting interested I’ve come across seem to have much more open minds to non American trains.

ive tried to keep my interests from wandering as it’s trouble fast, at least when it comes to spending money!

glad you are finding this a happy train spot, we try very hard to make it so and keep it that way! It’s been so fun over the years seeing folks from all over the world come here with a common interest in Japanese trains and modeling and then share other little bits of the world in trains, culture, experiences, etc.

cheers,

jeff

• Like 4

Isn't just American... In Britain very few are interested in even looking a non-British layout just like in the Netherlands where I live now where you really seem to need a Dutch or (strangely?) German prototype HO scale layout to be counted as full. Luckily I build my two non-conforming (n-gauge British and Japanese) layouts for my own pleasure and have to buy what I need from abroad. I always enjoy seeing good modelling whatever the subject/country.

And maybe we should all apologise for hi-jacking this thread.

• Like 2
On 10/27/2021 at 9:59 AM, disturbman said:

Welcome Wolf.

It's nice to see more people using Plaza. I always have the feeling that most of us only ordered from Hobby Search or amiami when it comes to big retailers.

How much is FedEx's fee? DHL always bills 6€ for the great privilege of letting you pay the Zoll at the shop or your door, if they bother checking with you if you have the change. But I never pay premium, express delivery, I never felt it was needed.

Sorry for the uber-late reply. FedEx charges 5€ instead of the 6€ DHL takes, plus they send an Invoice post delivery, rather then bothering me at the door for cash and making a fuss when I explain them that there is an pandemic going on and if they ever heard about pay by card ...

Not to mention FedEx usually sends all documents I need to declare the import a company expense *cough*

Thanks, I had since a package shipped with FedEx, and I paid €6 (with VAT) for the service. They did list the cost as €5,XX but that was without the 19%. In any case, it beats having to go to the DHL filiale since the delivery guys almost never bother ring the door if I have to pay customs on the package.