series 115 EMUs

Jimbo

I've finally found  some EMUs that i truly like an fit well with my on going layout!   sadly right now all i could get my hands on was a three car set, everything else seems to be out of stock according to my limited sources?? with no release dates for back order,,  this one i have is a Kato,, as are the back order ones also,  I've found the six car set on e bay but its over priced! as in over 200 us dollars,, an then shipping,  OK my question is in the six car set  are there two power units or just the one?? If both units in the six car set are powered that would be great then i can split them into three car sets if i so am inclined to! sorry i don't have any part #s in front of me right now, but any info would be great Yes i have two more modern EMUs but they just don't seem to fit ??? Ha maybe its my OCD kicking in who knows?? Thanks

The 115 is a very popular set that gets rerun fairly often, so I wouldn't worry about finding one.  Both tomix and kato have produced multiple versions in the past few years.  Both Model train plus and RG Rokko have a number of 115 sets still in stock.

https://rg-rokko.com/products/list?category_id=&name=115

https://www.modeltrainplus.net/search?page=1&q=115

thanks   i have the Kato 10-1571 now        was interested in the Kato 10-1572     i need to convert to U S dollars to find the price     Thanks 

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I've finally found  some EMUs that i truly like an fit well with my on going layout!   sadly right now all i could get my hands on was a three car set, everything else seems  OK my question is in the six car set  are there two power units or just the one?? If both units in the six car set are powered that would be great then i can split them into three car sets if i so am inclined to! sorry i don't have any part #s in front of me right now, but any info would be great

A six-car set will only have one unit powered, even if it consists of two separate units. There might be the odd exception, or you might find a second-hand set where someone has deliberately or mistakenly included an additional power car, but personally I have yet to encounter one.

Edited by railsquid

Yes, it will greatly depend on the set. 10-1572 is a specially released twin set representing the 2017 running of both the Shonan and Yokosuka colour 115s belonging to the Shinano railway. As these are usually run in 3 car units, Kato have included 2 powered sets in one bookcase. 

Other 115 sets from Kato and Tomix, whether long or short tend to have a single motor unit.

This set was representing the commemoration the 20th anniversary of the opening of the Shinano railway, be it produced by Kato 4 years too late. 

The line used to be part of the Shinetsu main line before it was closed in 1997 and the Nagano Shinkansen took over. The Usui pass was part of this line also but a logistical nightmare requiring twin banking locos to move anything up and down the pass.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, EdF said:

And this is that exception.  The Kato site show that there are 2 motors.

If those motor cars only have one powered bogie then they would most likely need two motors to move 6 cars especially if there are any gradients involved - plus paying for 2 motorised sets would be more profit for them than providing a trailer set.

1 hour ago, Bob_NZ said:

If those motor cars only have one powered bogie then they would most likely need two motors to move 6 cars especially if there are any gradients involved

Those will definitely [*] have both bogies powered.

[*] happy to be proven wrong, but hard to imagine Kato suddenly downgrading their standard design

(I think there are some two (?) car sets which unusually only have one powered bogie, which I recall someone on this site having issues with in connection with gradients).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, railsquid said:

(I think there are some two (?) car sets which unusually only have one powered bogie, which I recall someone on this site having issues with in connection with gradients).

Iirc, KiHa 25 (JR Central) and E127 are the sets that have only one powered bogie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

thats why i am interested in the kato set for 2 power cars, that way i can separate them when i feel like running them independlty