ModelTrainStuff/MB Kleins (USA)

cteno4

MB Kleins was a long standing excellent model train shop in outer Baltimore area that has a large online business as well of ModelTrainStuff.com. The shop moved from downtown Baltimore to outskirts of town in 2008 and then closed the brick and mortar store in 2019 to do online sales only. They are a major KatoUSA dealer for the US and usually have a very good inventory of unitrack and a smattering of Kato Japanese trains they pick up from Kato thru KatoUSA. They also have some of the Tomix fine track and tomytec items that Walthers has imported, but that is usually out of stock. Prices are generally good on Unitrak and usually just below Japanese list price.

much of the Japanese stuff is on this page.

jeff

• Like 1
  • cteno4 pinned this topic

This thread is meant to be the general page to talk about them like we have for other suppliers. Just realized they did not have a general thread. Other suppliers also have misc topics on sub stuff here and there.

jeff

22 hours ago, cteno4 said:

MB Kleins was a long standing excellent model train shop in downtown Baltimore that has a large online business as well of ModelTrainStuff.com. The shop moved to outskirts of town a decade ago and then recently closed the brick and mortar store to do online sales only. They are a major KatoUSA dealer for the US and usually have a very good inventory of unitrack and a smattering of Kato Japanese trains they pick up from Kato thru KatoUSA. They also have some of the Tomix fine track and tomytec items that Walthers has imported, but that is usually out of stock. Prices are generally good on Unitrak and usually just below Japanese list price.

much of the Japanese stuff is on this page.

jeff

I remember when they were at their old location in downtown Baltimore and when they moved to…Towson? A little shocked they closed the brick and mortar store, but that’s how things increasingly are these days.

• Like 1

Yeah the old downtown store was quite fun packed to the gills and narrow isles and glass counter and wall cabinets all over. Felt like a Japanese train shop it was so dense. I remember every time I was looking for a greenmax building kits they were literally on the floor on the bottom shelf so you had to get on your hands and knees to root thru them. It was our pilgrimage every 4 months or so from dc area to just visit a well stocked train store and pickup unitrack and once and a while a Japanese train. When they moved they decided to clear out their greenmax kits so they offered a dozen or so to the club at very reduced prices and all gobbled up! 

yes new store was out just north of Towson area in Cockeysville. It was a very big store space quite the opposite of the old store, kinda didn’t feel right! But out in a warehouse district they got few walk-in customers. The exception was the new store was only a mile or two from the state fairgrounds where 3 great scale model train shows happen a year and a couple of Greenberg train shows. You didn’t want to go to the store those weekends! They stopped having their large sales area at the timonimum shows as they store was so close. Closing the storefront was probably good as covid would have done it for them, although you could way socially distance in the new store! The online business was slowly expanding and I think the storefront dying. Also the founder passed away just after the closing.

jeff

Not bad especially with the high shipping costs now days from japan. Also considering the very weak yen as well. Mb kleins tends to do sales on their import trains every year or two I think to clear out inventory. Then later a new batch is bought.

bummer with them now is their cheapest shipping is like $11 for a pack or two of unitrak and we live 50 miles away so should be cheapest level. Makes buying just one or two packs of Unitrak expensive. Use to be fun to just go over to pick a few needed bits up and just nose around the store as it had quite a selection.

jeff

• Like 1

I read on another forum that MB Klein is closing their warehouse for good (?)  There were no details, just that the person had heard this.  Anyone know anything?  The website doesn't say anything.   Anyone hear of this or know anything?

Yes I heard similar stuff. Apparently finances are in bad shape and lots of chaos the last year. But it’s been rumor and telephone game info AFAIK, so not sure how official things are.

jeff

The store is ending the rewards program December 15th and online will remain.  Modeltrianstuff is still advertising in Classic Toy Trains and warehousing is moving to Fremont, Nebraska.

Edited by bill937ca

They are closing down their Maryland location/warehouse and moving to Nebraska as bill937ca said above.  I'm guessing everything will be drop shipped there.  They were bought out by Hatton's in the UK earlier in the year.  And you know how things usually work out if you are the buyee and not the buyer.

They are clearing out everything.  You can check the major discounts on what's left on their website.  Supposedly last day(s) of Maryland location is Dec 14/15.

Time will tell if Hatton's will make it better or worse.  I don't know if they will retain the name for history sakes.

Sad to have such an iconic place close down but you can't stop change.

Edited by Kingmeow
James-SNMB

Sad to see them go. They were my go to source for North American products. Looks like I need an alternative! Does anyone have suggestions for large discount online retailers? Maybe Trainworld?

I'm in Canada, so I'll take another look around more locally, but the fact is even with international shipping (and possible taxes on import), Modeltrainstuff was still usually cheaper. I'd hope to find a similar option if I can.

Yeah James, I think a lot of folks are in the same boat! Brooklyn locomotive works seems to be doing well taken over by the previous owners brother and merged with his business. But I’ve not bought much outside some track from North American suppliers in the last few years.

jeff

• Like 1
21 hours ago, James-SNMB said:

Sad to see them go. They were my go to source for North American products. Looks like I need an alternative! Does anyone have suggestions for large discount online retailers? Maybe Trainworld?

I'm in Canada, so I'll take another look around more locally, but the fact is even with international shipping (and possible taxes on import), Modeltrainstuff was still usually cheaper. I'd hope to find a similar option if I can.

In no particular order and don't know about shipping to Canada.

Trainworld

Hog Trainz

Lombard Hobby

• Like 1
James-SNMB

Thanks both of you. I'm also see Hobbylinc as a potential option. These will all be great for me to keep in mind when comparing shipping, and comparing to more local options.

Beyond a couple of Kato locomotives coming this spring, I don't see too many more NA products in my future, but I'm also probably lying to myself! So it's good to be able to shop around still!

Ones in my bookmarks, and I've bought from both generally for scenic items or other hobby supplies, are Trainz.com and Hobbylinc.com.

I think I've done more business with Canadian suppiers: EuroRailHobbies and Reynaulds for the German imports.
: 3

• Like 1
James-SNMB

Yes, Eurorail has excellent prices for European imports, and I've used them myself! (Reynauds is US based I'm pretty sure, but I've browsed there too.)

Besides that, for North American stock, there's some decent shops in Canada with online sales, but none that I've found with the combination of pricing and selection of a Modeltrainstuff or the other alternatives that have been mentioned. That said, there's a shop that's local to me that opened a couple of years ago that has decent pricing, and sometimes saving on shipping makes it a net savings for smaller orders. Plus it's nice to shop local and support a good shop, and he has a knack for finding new-old-stock items and does used stuff... But I digress.

It can be an expensive hobby, and I've jumped in with both feet (and up to my neck), so I appreciate knowing about some of the options out there to stretch that budget!

• Like 1
tossedman

James, have you tried Hobby Tech here in Calgary? Tons of Kato N scale, although Japanese trains can be hit and miss. Lots of European trains in HO, N, and Z scales as well. They ship, and go to the Supertrain Train Show here in Calgary and have been a vendor at the Greater Edmonton Model Train Show in past years.

Trains and Such is another good model train shop here in Calgary. Both are worth a visit if you ever head down this way.

Cheers,

Todd

Edited by tossedman
  • Like 2
James-SNMB

@tossedman, oh yes! Many times! I grew up in Calgary, so I try to pop in when we're down visiting my folks. (And I remember when Trains and Such was up on 4th Street!)

HobbyTech is great, for the reasons you mentioned, and they do indeed come to the train show in Edmonton. They may have the best prices on unitrack in Canada (of course nothing beats Japan, even with shipping, as long as the order isn't too small).

Trains and Such is amazing for the used items, and is always a great treasure hunt.

In Edmonton, the Train Exchange is the newer shop I was referring to. They pack twice as much stuff into half the space as the other local shop, Hobby Wholesale, and their n scale selection and pricing is better, plus they carry used and find new-old stock sometimes. And they have the odd Japanese item.

Hobby Wholesale is a bit bizarre to me. Trains are only a small part of their business, so I get it, but they once told me the CP and CN stock always sells out right away so that's why they rarely have any... So why not order a lot more? Kato always has runs that are available... I don't get it. They were the only option in town for many, many years, so that's how I established my online habits! Still useful for scenic bits.

Besides that, in Canada, I use:

- Eurorail Hobbies for European buildings (but I've also made some big orders from Modellbahnshop-lippe for those items, which have been worthwhile).

- PWRS, mostly for their exclusive NARC models or the odd thing I feel I need to pre-order at MSRP before it sells out immediately.

- Prairie Shadows for some exclusive items, and their pricing is pretty decent otherwise. Selection is limited, but they do focus on Canadian railroads, which is handy.

- Kingston Locomotive Works - I've only ordered once so far, but they had good pricing (and domestic shipping) in the couple of items I was after. It's just a guy selling from his basement, but I'd check it out again and cross shop it against other local options.

From Japan, RG-Rokko has become my default, with Hobbysearch and PlazaJapan still heavily in the mix. And in Europe, I've ordered from Modellbahnshop-lippe, and browsed DM-Toys.

My next North American purchase will be either (or both, probably both) of the upcoming Kato CP AC4400CW and SD90MAC releases with the golden beaver livery. Would have probably looked to Modeltrainstuff had they lasted, so that's the main driver for teeing up some other options.

Fortunately I feel like I've bought more than I need and almost everything I would want (famous last words), so I could stand to slow down my bigger orders, and be content to buy local if it makes sense.

It's interesting how each shop out there serves a different purpose or has a different specialty, and that combination is going to be different for everyone depending on where they live and what shipping and tax looks like. Everyone here has probably spent years honing their mix.

But I've gone on long enough, probably not on topic. I'm still mourning Modeltrainstuff, but I'll ultimately just have to adapt, and I appreciate everyone's suggestions!

• Like 2
brill27mcb
5 hours ago, James-SNMB said:

. . . I feel like I've bought more than I need and almost everything I would want . . .

I, and I'm sure everyone on this list would be in agreement, am absolutely shocked to hear of such behavior . . . . . NOT! 😃

Rich K.

• Haha 2
James-SNMB

Yeah, I'm among friends here... Enablers Anonymous.

An honest assessment is that this is a hobby that requires time, money, and space. With a young family, I do not have time, but I can browse the internet and do some shopping for those moments when I find time. And I can daydream my way to quite the complex layout with that is certainly going to need lots of the cool products I've catalogued in my brain after years of thorough browsing. And we all know runs are limited, and once it's gone, it's gone, so better act now... Am I buying too much? Well what about building some other small layouts with a different theme, like the Canadian Rockies, or Switzerland, or random T-Trak modules despite the fact no one else does T-Trak in my area. Maybe I can get my kids into it? Maybe we should start our own T-Trak club one day when I have more time? Hmm, I'm going to need more stuff for all of those cool ideas... I'll have time one day, right?

I'm quite sure this is why manufacturers don't bother making more budget models to entice new comers: the don't need too! Way more money in making stuff for the "serious hobbyists", the "big fish". No customer acquisition cost, we are already hooked!

(In all seriousness, when I do have time, I love the process of working away on a structure, adding detail, lights, etc, even if overall progress is slow, that's ok. And the daydreaming and endless planning might be my favourite part of all!)

Another off topic digression.

• Like 2
tossedman
22 hours ago, James-SNMB said:

@tossedman, oh yes! Many times! I grew up in Calgary, so I try to pop in when we're down visiting my folks. (And I remember when Trains and Such was up on 4th Street!)

HobbyTech is great, for the reasons you mentioned, and they do indeed come to the train show in Edmonton. They may have the best prices on unitrack in Canada (of course nothing beats Japan, even with shipping, as long as the order isn't too small).

Trains and Such is amazing for the used items, and is always a great treasure hunt.

In Edmonton, the Train Exchange is the newer shop I was referring to. They pack twice as much stuff into half the space as the other local shop, Hobby Wholesale, and their n scale selection and pricing is better, plus they carry used and find new-old stock sometimes. And they have the odd Japanese item.

Hobby Wholesale is a bit bizarre to me. Trains are only a small part of their business, so I get it, but they once told me the CP and CN stock always sells out right away so that's why they rarely have any... So why not order a lot more? Kato always has runs that are available... I don't get it. They were the only option in town for many, many years, so that's how I established my online habits! Still useful for scenic bits.

Besides that, in Canada, I use:

- Eurorail Hobbies for European buildings (but I've also made some big orders from Modellbahnshop-lippe for those items, which have been worthwhile).

- PWRS, mostly for their exclusive NARC models or the odd thing I feel I need to pre-order at MSRP before it sells out immediately.

- Prairie Shadows for some exclusive items, and their pricing is pretty decent otherwise. Selection is limited, but they do focus on Canadian railroads, which is handy.

- Kingston Locomotive Works - I've only ordered once so far, but they had good pricing (and domestic shipping) in the couple of items I was after. It's just a guy selling from his basement, but I'd check it out again and cross shop it against other local options.

From Japan, RG-Rokko has become my default, with Hobbysearch and PlazaJapan still heavily in the mix. And in Europe, I've ordered from Modellbahnshop-lippe, and browsed DM-Toys.

My next North American purchase will be either (or both, probably both) of the upcoming Kato CP AC4400CW and SD90MAC releases with the golden beaver livery. Would have probably looked to Modeltrainstuff had they lasted, so that's the main driver for teeing up some other options.

Fortunately I feel like I've bought more than I need and almost everything I would want (famous last words), so I could stand to slow down my bigger orders, and be content to buy local if it makes sense.

It's interesting how each shop out there serves a different purpose or has a different specialty, and that combination is going to be different for everyone depending on where they live and what shipping and tax looks like. Everyone here has probably spent years honing their mix.

But I've gone on long enough, probably not on topic. I'm still mourning Modeltrainstuff, but I'll ultimately just have to adapt, and I appreciate everyone's suggestions!

James, thanks for the heads up on where you're buying from. Good to know about the Train Exchange. It's about an 8 minute drive from my sister's house in Thorncliff. I'll have to check it out next time we visit up north. Been to Hobby Wholesale many times but haven't found any train stuff there. Lots of RC stuff though.

Trains and Such is about five minutes from my house here in Calgary. Dangerously close for the wallet. Don, the owner is a great guy and has treated us well over the years. I too remember it up on Fourth. We go there way too often. Hobby Tech moved to the North East a while back and I haven't been there too many times since they moved. We have enough Unitrack to choke a horse at the moment. Johnny, the owner there is also a great guy. Recruited my kid when he was about 10 to run trains all day at Supertrain. He was in heaven. 

I'm about as scatter brained as they come and always have something on the go and then SQUIRREL! something else comes along. Work keeps me busy but I'm trying to make time for trains and some scratchbuilding. Gotta finish up the cardboard T-Trak modules I started last year. I've also got other things that have been in the works for years (a decade? Yikes!). Just started looking at a model of Maruoka Castle that has been dormant for far too long.

Anyway, enough rambling on...

Cheers,

Todd

Edited by tossedman
  • Like 1