Kato High Rise

Brett

I noticed the 4 Kato High Rise  bulidings are up for Pre order on Some of the Japanese Hobby sites.

I bought 2 of them a year or so back been waiting ages for the others,they must only make them once a year or so.

Brett

Edited by Brett
  • Like 2
  • Brett changed the title to Kato High Rise

Hobby Search has got them listed now:

https://1999.co.jp/eng/10646056

https://1999.co.jp/eng/10819591

https://1999.co.jp/eng/10819588

https://1999.co.jp/eng/10646054

Release date already in November. Exciting!

I had more or less given up on the Kato high rises. Now the question is, will they fit into my layout? They've got quite a large footprint, especially depthwise that will be an issue to me.

The price of them went up quite considerably last year (from around 4000 yen to 5280) but they still sold through pretty quickly. Their buildings are nicely made.

9 hours ago, Kamome said:

The price of them went up quite considerably last year (from around 4000 yen to 5280)

Sounds logical. The plastic pellets are petrol-based thus when the oil price rises, the pellets rise.

JM

7 hours ago, JR East said:

Sounds logical. The plastic pellets are petrol-based thus when the oil price rises, the pellets rise.

JM

It sounds logical, but is not really the case. Saying 1kg of oil is used to make 1kg of plastic is a simplification but good enough to get an idea of what's happening. When taking into account the weight of a plastic model and the price of an amount of oil equal to that weight, we'll see that the raw material costs in the production process are a pretty neglable part of the cost of the final product.

They are quality plastics, very good moulds, trimmed very well, a lot of bits to be assembled by hand, and a roomy item to ship and inventory. All these things have gone up in price some, so no wonder the whole thing has gone up in price. Not really bad price for the size and quality though! They do cost about 50% of the price to ship though! 

they are tough models as I've used them at shows now for decade now and transport them in their original boxes and they’ve held up amazingly well! I’ve probably transported them to 30 or 40 events. Always been meaning to pop a couple of them apart to add some interior details and add some larger signs on a couple.

I looked at fusing a couple together to make one taller building and they are not modular like the smaller Kato high rises in 2 story blocks, you would need to carefully saw and fuse the roof and ground floor off and splice into a building sliced at ground or roof. While not hard, little complicated as walls are all moulded together making a bit harder to cleanly saw and fuse on the floor line and match the other floor lines, and of course then fill, cleanup, and repaint.

jeff

• Like 1

they are really nice buildings and very sturdy to boot. I got them when they first came out over a decade  ago and guessing they got schlepped to 60+ shows for the club layout and Ttrak and no damage. I kept the original plastic boxes for them and they have protected them during transport and storage very well. 

cheers

jeff

10 hours ago, Brett said:

Here is the kato high rises in a scene. Scene is about 70 % finished

Very nice!

I hope you understand you're going to have to post more pictures later on, right?  😉

It was very hard, but I actually decided to pass up the chance of buying these buildings. (Though I might kick myself later.) They are simply a bit too big for my layout.

5 hours ago, MeTheSwede said:

post more pictures later on

This weekend im hoping to put working traffic lights in,so i may post another view of this scene.

Hope all are well

Brett