Hi Everyone!!!

Worship

I've been a part of the mini scene for most of my life. It's mostly been tabletop wargames and some board games occasionally. Lately I've really taken an interest in N Scale scenery since some of the wargames I like are at this scale, so even though I know nothing about trains or the fact that they're not my main focus, I still really respect the amount of passion and work that goes into this hobby and always enjoy seeing peoples layouts!

IG: worshipsworkshop

See you around!

Edited by Worship
  • Like 4

Worship,

welcome, glad you found us! Lots of folks have found their way to n scale modeling from various mini crafts. Here’s an interesting article of a mix of wargaming modeling and n scale model railroading.

http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/tempoary.html

our Japanese model railroading club recently displayed our Ttrak setup at a large Japanese anime convention and we had a lot of interest from folks that had never done trains at all but had done various diorama and craft and loved how it cut across many interests.

might check out the new Kato mini diorama system.

cheers

jeff

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Worship said:

I know nothing about trains or the fact that they're not my main focus,

Hello and welcome.

Can I ask, is there anything special about Japanese trains or Japan that interests you or are you here randomly ? Nosey me 😊

I'm just curious because Japanese trains don't grab me but modeling the culture does. I think I'm a bit of a loner on this forum in this respect !! 

Happy modeling and I hope you enjoy the forum.

Just my own position, I'm here mainly about Japanese trains. For French ones there are many French-speaking forums. 

I went to Japan something like 10 times and I really do appreciate Japanese trains : clean, on-time, outstanding network (basically, wherever you're in Japan, you're not far awat from a station), innovative, convenient, etc ...

JM

10 hours ago, Tom C said:

Hello and welcome.

Can I ask, is there anything special about Japanese trains or Japan that interests you or are you here randomly ? Nosey me 😊

I'm just curious because Japanese trains don't grab me but modeling the culture does. I think I'm a bit of a loner on this forum in this respect !! 

Happy modeling and I hope you enjoy the forum.

Yea I kind of left out that specific part in my first post lol ..I've just found that most of the products from other companies, like structures and scenery, are stuck in an older time period like from the 50s to 70s.. and while those are really nice eras to explore, I prefer the more modern look which is what I've found with many of these Japanese brands. It's mostly about aesthetics for me, I like the bright signage and billboards, the clean and modern architecture, the style of vehicles, and being able to add traditional style structures into the mix, etc.

Edited by Worship
  • Like 1

Welcome!

I’ve wondered myself about how to possibly merge wargaming (including the actual gaming mechanics) with model railroading, though admittedly, the closest experience I have is Star Wars X-Wing/Armada.  N scale is close enough to 1:144 scale to be compatible with sci-fi model kits from franchises such as Gundam or Star Wars.  Though I’m primarily a railroader, expanding a miniature world beyond the railhead has always been appealing to me.

Most prototype Japanese trains introduced since the beginning of privatization (1987) retain a futuristic look that even today do not look outdated, so they will look right at home in a futuristic/sci-fi setting.

Edited by GCRailways
Clarification
  • Like 2
On 9/21/2021 at 9:33 AM, Worship said:

Yea I kind of left out that specific part in my first post lol ..I've just found that most of the products from other companies, like structures and scenery, are stuck in an older time period like from the 50s to 70s.. and while those are really nice eras to explore, I prefer the more modern look which is what I've found with many of these Japanese brands. It's mostly about aesthetics for me, I like the bright signage and billboards, the clean and modern architecture, the style of vehicles, and being able to add traditional style structures into the mix, etc.

There is a fairly robust contemporary US scene, since the smaller size makes it easier to represent the scale of modern railroading and N scale diesels are easier for manufacturers to make than steam locomotives.

Of course…modern US railroading seems to be stuck in the same paradigm for the past forty years, so if you want innovative and futuristic trains, you’ve come to the right place.

My preference is the older periods. I feel inspired by the photographs of Japanese steam fighting the snow. I’m also contrary and want to model something different from what a lot of people are doing. 

There’s plenty of room in this hobby for all of us. Welcome!

13 hours ago, GCRailways said:

Welcome!

I’ve wondered myself about how to possibly merge wargaming (including the actual gaming mechanics) with model railroading, though admittedly, the closest experience I have is Star Wars X-Wing/Armada.  N scale is close enough to 1:144 scale to be compatible with sci-fi model kits from franchises such as Gundam or Star Wars.  Though I’m primarily a railroader, expanding a miniature world beyond the railhead has always been appealing to me.

Most prototype Japanese trains introduced since the beginning of privatization (1987) retain a futuristic look that even today do not look outdated, so they will look right at home in a futuristic/sci-fi setting.

Many years ago, Model Railroader did a spoof article about a layout that featured trains on the moon. SciFi is an underutilized topic.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Szdfan said:

I feel inspired by the photographs of Japanese steam fighting the snow.

Yes, so am I. 

image.jpeg

• Like 3