Railroad simulators/games

Jaco3011

The very reason I'm writing this thread is my disappointment about Trainz (2019 Platinum Edition). I can't find a good train simulator. My expectations are:
- good editor
- (good) multiplayer

- (preferably) the possibility to run multiple instances on one PC
- (optionally) some japanese rolling stock

- (if possible) runs on Linux

Trainz has crap tier editor. EEP has excellent editor, but no multiplayer. Rolling Line has inconvenient editor and no multiplayer. Open Rails seems to have inconvenient switch control, but I haven't got fully into it yet.

Any suggestions are welcome. Realism is not 1st priority, it can be more of a virtual model railway.

• Confused 1

Hey there, 

i'm a Trainz Dev, i was involved in the making of TRS19 and am in contact with some peeps at the company (N3V Games). 

As a passionate route builder and big fan of the Trainz Surveyor, i'm really curious about what exactly you didn't like about it. Could you provide a more detailed explaination? 

Otherwise I can't really relate to your arguments there, since Trainz has been praised especially for its easy to use editor many times :/

About japanese routes / rolling stock: there is plenty of it on the DLC Store, on the DLS or other creators websites (especially looking at jirctrainz.com here, he has tons of high quality freeware trains, and even a route)

Looking forward to your answer, hopefully we can optimize things to your liking ^^
Kind regards,
Rico

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, there is no tool to lay parallel pieces of track, no tool to continue a piece of straight, no tool to make even turnouts, no tool to lay tracks at a set angle, no option to edit coordinates of a vertex, the direction of track at the end is set automatically, you can;t select what type of curve you want to lay.

Outside of this: no "adjust ground to track" tool, no option to brush objects like trees onto map, no categories of objects (eg. rolling stock split into countries, gauges, locos/cars).

I'm getting used to Rolling Stock track editing system. Ngl, interface on standard PC would be better if it wasn't VR-like.