Applying decals and stickers for beginners

AbaZ33a

Hello all, 

I have some TOMIX trainsets that have decals that need applying, and also some KATO stickers aswell but I’m rather intimidated with starting as there is little margin for error and I don’t want to have to hunt for decal sheets if I mess up or damage the model. Are there any useful videos in English or Japanese that demonstrate the proper technique to apply them for both KATO and TOMIX. I mostly want to begin with applying formation number decals to the windshields of some of my TOMIX Shinkansens. 

(also on a side note does anyone know if anyone makes sheets of letters and numbers that can be used to create formation decals for sets that have none?) 

Thank you in advance, 

Alex

• Like 1
On 9/1/2021 at 12:32 AM, Yavianice said:

For decals for sets, that is a bit more difficult. But perhaps this site has what you are looking for.

https://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/ajisaitei/

Those are almost perfect, but what I’m looking for is some kind of sticker or decal that has formation numbers and letters on it. I’m specifically looking for ones for my KATO 100 3000 Grand Hikari and the KATO E2 0 Asama. Someone seems to have figured out a way as I’ve seen a picture of one with an N13 formation on the front. 

C1A8E6AC-86BC-44CA-9582-0DE5C53592BB.jpeg

What you’re looking for is usually a 3rd party manufacturer’s product. If you search for インレタ (inreta) this is the Japanese word for the dry rub transfers. So for your E2:

E2系インレタ

Models Imon are pretty good at displaying an image of their stock so you can see exactly what “set 4” or whatever looks like. I tend to use their search function to see what kind of detailing i can get for my various models. Certainly inspiring to replace those annoying, not quite accurate, details to improve your model.

Echo models are also one of those models shops that carry lots of parts, but not to say the shops like RGR don’t have or can get for you. 

Edited by Kamome
  • Thanks 1

@AbaZ33a,

I've seen you've asked this before, but the Kato E2 series 0 sub-type (N formation) model does have the formation numbers (at least the one on the front cab window, the ones on the crew door and lower carbody are omitted as per the usual) applied from the factory.

At least this is true for my model, which is a 2013 re-release by the way,  which most certainly does have the formation markers already applied.

So the picture you are using as an example isn't actually showing user applied decals, but rather the as released state of the Kato model (at least 2013 and later versions, I'm not sure when, or if, they switched from a lack of markers to actually printing the formation markers)

DSC_0851

Edited by 200系
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, 200系 said:

@AbaZ33a,

I've seen you've asked this before, but the Kato E2 series 0 sub-type (N formation) model does have the formation numbers (at least the one on the front cab window, the ones on the crew door and lower carbody are omitted as per the usual) applied from the factory.

At least this is true for my model, which is a 2013 re-release by the way,  which most certainly does have the formation markers already applied.

So the picture you are using as an example isn't actually showing user applied decals, but rather the as released state of the Kato model (at least 2013 and later versions, I'm not sure when, or if, they switched from a lack of markers to actually printing the formation markers)

DSC_0851

That makes sense, although I would have thought a rereleased version would have a different product number, but I guess that all of the KATO E2 Asama sets are referred too as “10-377”. Is there anyway to tell if it’s a new product compared to the old product by looking at only the packaging? Some sellers don’t have pictures of the nose of the lead car so it’s hard to tell what version is which. So far the only difference I can see is on some the pictures on the small cardboard triangle insert in the lower right corner are different.

Edited by AbaZ33a
4 hours ago, AbaZ33a said:

That makes sense, although I would have thought a rereleased version would have a different product number, but I guess that all of the KATO E2 Asama sets are referred too as “10-377”. Is there anyway to tell if it’s a new product compared to the old product by looking at only the packaging? Some sellers don’t have pictures of the nose of the lead car so it’s hard to tell what version is which. So far the only difference I can see is on some the pictures on the small cardboard triangle insert in the lower right corner are different.

Sometimes you can see when the included booklet was printed. I bought the 10-377 E2 Asama used many years ago and the book states it was printed around 1998 IIRC. The older style booklets were very heavily printed compared to the new ones. They also had a photograph of the dismantled model cab unit and motor unit rather than the Assyparts list with small images of each part they do these days.

I'm not sure what constitutes a new product number from Kato. My model still has a filament bulb head and taillight as far as I can remember. It is very dimly lit anyway. They have released it again since that one was made, I assume they updated to LED headlights but that may have been the only subtle change. Then other models get released, look identical but have been issued with a new product number. Perhaps numerous changes/improvements were made to warrant the product number change.

• Like 1