Kato turnout/switch wires - extending using own wire?

drt7uk

Hi folks,

I'm in the process of building a new layout. Because of the size constraints, one set of sidings will be far away from my Kato controllers and switches (further than they were before). Thus I have to choose between buying a number of additional new Kato 24-841 turnout extension cables (costly), or making up the difference by using the 0.5mm / 11amp twin core cable that I'm using for a bus wire and soldering it on (i.e. creating my own extension cable).

I have two questions, excuse my ignorance:

1. Will the 0.5mm / 11amp twin cable be OK? I don't want to spoil the turnout switches by overpowering them, or underpowering them. I can't see anything online that says whether Kato 24-841 is 0.5mm, 1mm etc, or the max amp etc.

2. Any idea what the plastic connectors are called? I want to see if I can buy some at a DIY store or online, so I can connect to my existing extension cables. (See image below).

Many thanks in advance,

David

41eRt3lqosL._AC_SX355_.jpg

I've done similar to what you're suggesting by cutting a kato cable and soldering in extra wire length.  I haven't had any ill effects from doing it, and it's pretty quick and easy to do.

As long as you're using a switch controller that works with kato switches, the length of wire shouldn't be a problem unless there's excessive power drop over the length of the the run.  11 amp cable should more than handle this.

Edited by Kiha66
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

I've done similar to what you're suggesting by cutting a kato cable and soldering in extra wire length.  I haven't had any ill effects from doing it, and it's pretty quick and easy to do.

As long as you're using a switch controller that works with kato switches, the length of wire shouldn't be a problem unless there's excessive power drop over the length of the the run.  11 amp cable should more than handle this.

Thank you! I've found some on eBay so I'll see if they fit my Kato ones OK and go from there. Of course another option would be just to extend my existing Kato cable by cutting the wire in half, soldering in a longer middle! Will have a think...

• Like 1

I have cut most my cables in half and used the same connectors. I can go kato to kato, kato to tomix, tomix to kato and tomix to tomix for versatility.

Pick whichever works for you. You can then make any length extender you wish.

Edited by katoftw
  • Thanks 1

I think I cut all of my wires in half. I’ve connected my extension wires with screw-in terminal blocks that look fairly  similar to what Inobu posted. I’ve never had any trouble. 

If in doubt use a heavier wire. It can’t hurt, electrically. 

Edited by Sheffie
  • Thanks 1

Remember the cable extenders along with the majority of Kato products are designed with temporary setups in mind. If you are making a permanent layout, things like this are negated.

• Like 1