New video of the JR West Nara Line with line construction

Sacto1985

YouTube member Tom's Osaka Movie just posted a new zenmen tenbō video of a trip on a 221 Series train set from Nara to Kyoto, with annotations in Japanese of all the continuging construction work to double-track the line:

I do have a question, though: anyone know when will the construction work between Kizu and Jōyō begin? That part of the line will require replacing the bridge over the Kizu River and widening, replacing and/or "daylighting" a couple of short tunnels.

Edited by Sacto1985
  • Like 2

I don't know about construction on that particular section of the track, but I am surprised that double tracking has taken this long.  I recall writing the same thing about the Kyoto-Sonobe section of the San'in Line (Sagano Line), which they completed about 10 years ago now.  Bikkuri pointed out that the Sagano has no competition and they don't really have the incentive to double track it.  But the Nara Line is paralleled by both Keihan and Kintetsu lines in various sections.  Maybe it was more of a cost issue due to, for example, the bridge you point out.  In any case I'm glad to see it.  I remember riding my namesake miyakoji rapid service and waiting for minutes at some stations for the approaching train to leave a single track section and pass us in the station limits.  It made it less "rapid" to me 🙂

• Like 1