What will be my First N Gauge Japanese locomotive??

The Birmingham train spotter

So I've been interested in Japanese trains and Japanese N Gauge products for a Couple of months...six months to be precise.I mainly Model OO Gauge British Locomotives and Products as they are easily accessible in the UK but I decided for a New Challenge which is N Gauge Japanese trains and Japanese trains in general.I decided to do Research on Japanese trains and N Gauge stuff on Google and YouTube.When I joined the Forum I asked what's the " Best " N Gauge Japanese train and I received amazing responses.But on the Forum : Japanese Model Railroad - Basic Guide for Beginners the user Kamome showed me some of his N Gauge Japanese trains..A EF66-100,A EF60,EF210,EF65-1000 and a DE-10.Now Originally the EF66 locomotive had my Interests but the prices where too high for me.Later on my Own Post: What's the best freight train train Kamome mentioned the EH200 and the Tankers...And now I'm saving up for a N Gauge EH200 so Thanks Kamome for a Awesome idea

• Like 1

I hope you don’t have to wait too long but saving for your first locomotive is an exciting first step. An EH200 is a nice start. Until that day arrives, here is some eye candy to give you some inspiration.

I’m glad you are being sensible with your buying options. My EF66-100 was a used locomotive from ebay which i paid about £30 for with a missing pantograph. It took me about 2 years before i could get the correct one to replace it but it’s a smooth slow runner and a respectable price for a second hand train.

It was actually the second one I bought after the first arrived with nice big finger print glue marks, poorly executed wire handrails and a large gouge on one side. This had been carefully omitted in the photos and description so I had to kick off with the buyer and get my money back.  The pitfalls of buying on ebay.

It’s easy to get carried away and models that have not been unavailable for some time can carry very silly price tags. Most get remade at some point so let your head rule when you are buying trains. 

All the best

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 1

Thank you kamome I sold one of my Old Triang trains and some old wagons...I should have about £35 British pounds by the end of this month..Also stop teasing me! XD

All the best

Michael

• Haha 1

Eh200 is a nice start, clean loco and decent puller. Plus any first loco is good as you’ll have one to play with and with time you’ll have more! Soon it will be more odd jobs to earn a bit more money for the second, third, fourth, fifth… you get my drift, they are addictive!

cheers

jeff

• Like 1
14 hours ago, The Birmingham train spotter said:

Thank you kamome I sold one of my Old Triang trains and some old wagons...I should have about £35 British pounds by the end of this month..Also stop teasing me! XD

All the best

Michael

It's exciting that you're getting your first Japanese n scale loco!

A word of caution about selling your OO Triang trains. I sold my OO Lima trains when I was about 16 and I regretted it for decades. I'd love to have them now. There's no rush in acquiring Japanese n scale trains. Instead of selling trains, I'd suggest thinking about other ways of making money. The earlier you start thinking about that, the better, anyway.

Not trying to piss on your Cherrios. I hope you enjoy your Japanese loco. I'd vote for an EF210. It looks good. It's relatively cheep, and it's a great runner. I have the Kato, but I'm sure the Tomix would be great too. Actually my first suggestion would be an EF210, but those are a little more expensive.

Consider buying second hand from Japan. In my experience it's less risky than buying second hand in the US or Europe. Japanese people seem to take better care of their trains and don't tend to hide problems. If anything they overestimate them. Probably and honor thing.

Enjoy. But take your time!

@The Birmingham train spotter Gavin makes a good point on your OO trains, don’t be in a mad rush to sell them all off as you may regret it later, see if you can take it slow if you do sell any and keep your prized and sentimental ones if you possibly can. You can always sell them later if you are still in the mood to get rid of them.

I know it may sound really corny, but doing some work for $$ for your trains also is something that is really good. It was such a rewarding loop when I was young my best friend and I would do a bit of whatever odd jobs for some spare $$ and take that down to the hobby shop to pick out a new train car or buy an extra point. Just pushed us to do more odd jobs for more trains and very rewarding seeing the fruits of your labors all over the layout. It most importantly made me learn how to find better paying and more entertaining jobs fast and that was a huge life lesson for me to be happy at your work and not just do it as an ends to get money. Some folks are fine working at jobs they hate to just get good money, but I learned I’m not that type, I need to love my work, even if it did not pay as well, for me to be happy and do good work. The younger you learn/figure these kind of things out the easier life can be later.

cheers

jeff

• Like 4