the IG-nippoN modul standard's

shiniji

Hello Guys,

Today I would like to explain the IG-Nippon module standard that we defined years ago and in which I have been building modules for on the last years an now.

the norm is based on the FREMO norm and has been adapted to the Tomix track (! this applies to normal Tomix tracks and the WP tracks!) system. The "head pieces" have the standard size of 40cm x 10cm as well as two bores for connection (with M6 carriage bolts and nuts) and a large opening to lead through the plug connections for the cables (and for transport) and the dimensions for the holes and openings are standardized (where they are located and what size). For the Tomix tracks we have a length of 120cm for the standard module (including the head pieces). The height of the modules (top edge of the head piece) is exactly 100 cm with wooden legs

Electrically, a ring line per circuit (by that I mean one circuit per track)  is laid under each module, which then supplies the module and is connected to a 2-pin connector at the transitions.

20210812_082946.thumb.jpg.9e0af65f9be32a15f9cee8f0c2abc7bd.jpg

Four Tomix S280 tracks fit in length on the straight. 4cm remain free at the ends, these are required to connect the modules via V70 tracks. This results in a length of 8cm at the transitions which are compensated for by the variable length of the V70 (7-9cm) and a seamless connection is created. Of course, the terrain can vary between the head pieces and as long as the transitions exist with Tomix, everything in between can also be built with flex tracks.

1539373898_ignipponnormGerade.thumb.jpg.7a29f2a9ca28d217ac89635dd4e104cb.jpg

IMG_1191.thumb.jpg.c8a7ada80ab676a18677cf6fd04ee283.jpg

Alternatively, a section module with a railway embankment (is this the right Word?!(

IMG-20191004-WA0001.thumb.jpeg.5966f8c5511fbd6a7463e8090289ab30.jpeg

20191114_202731.thumb.jpg.3696be8c4c5fe65342de93b5f2bdb38c.jpg.

Corner modules have the same head pieces but a total size of 61cm x 61cm (exact dimensions are in the sketch). The dimensions are based on the curved tracks C391 and C354. Here, too, the WP track with cant fit perfectly on a corner module!

21531801_ignipponnormecke.thumb.jpg.478f6cb1e7d9a3aed3c97d2417ccb05a.jpg

20170618_174314.thumb.jpg.20fc455e4cee6d581f04192847f647a8.jpg

IMG_5704.thumb.jpg.2606efa64197ac3535b3e6a39264f8eb.jpg

With these two standard modules, a system can be set up (for a certain time in the room or at exhibitions) since the minimum size is only 122cm x 122cm.

kreisform.thumb.jpg.744eea6513e71e8a7145c01d4d7671c0.jpg

and the next size, a typical model train layout.

2020258952_tablelayout.thumb.jpg.e0d173a455a5d2fc8f7f8259faca29f3.jpg

That was the first part to get started. As you can see, with the modules, which are very easy to transport, you can quickly design and also quickly assemble and dismantle. Several modules of the same size can be screwed one on top of the other with boards on the front sides, making them easier to store.

Train stations and special types of modules are the next step 🙂

Sorry for the realy Bad English....

Patrick

• Like 7

Patrick,

thanks so much for laying all that out, I was always curious on the details of your freemo system.

Wish we had the room for that. We looked at Fremo for JRM a few times but we really lack the space for most to store and work on modules easily and only some of our show venues have room for it getting to much size. Also no one has the room at homes to do temp setups and such really. 

jeff

• Thanks 1

Jeff, a little more creativity! 😅

For storage, you can turn the modules into a great piece of furniture with a diorama function (or a room divider). that then has only the size of a module. Because all 4 of the corner modules can be screwed on top of each other for storage and this "tower" is hidden at the side with a strip of fabric, you have a corner part as a diorama and it doesn't even look bad at the bottom, thanks to the fabric. The same goes with the track modules, the upper module then serves as a diorama.

If you want to build up the layout, you send your wife on a weekend trip and can temporarily set up something, play and take it down and stow it away before your wife is back.😇

That's how I implemented it at the beginning and was really space-saving.

Edited by shiniji
10 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

Patrick,

thanks so much for laying all that out, I was always curious on the details of your freemo system.

Wish we had the room for that. We looked at Fremo for JRM a few times but we really lack the space for most to store and work on modules easily and only some of our show venues have room for it getting to much size. Also no one has the room at homes to do temp setups and such really. 

jeff

Hi Jeff,

Well. I guess we have the same situation. There were attempts to realize a layout with these module norm at home. But as far as I know everybody gave up on it. Me included. I decided to work on the modules for only one reason: to show them at exhibitions. That also helps to focus on the work, and not just play (as I did several years).
The fruits of the deprivation will be shown to a lot of people this fall in Vienna 🙂

bye, Tibor

Patrick,

Believe me I’ve had to be creative with storage, a lot of JRM has lived at my house for the past 17 years! The 2.0 layout was in storage boxes stacked up in front of my wife’s parking spot in the garage, luckily she never slipped on the brake pedal (well she did one April fools)! Many setups overtaking basement or garage.  Worn my wife a bit thin on that! I’m also a bit tired of being the storage depot and work place. This is why we would do sectional to try to pack as much into a smaller space for shows (some we are quite limited only a few large potential but then we would be put on on the edges of things instead of prime smaller spots in the center of things), transport and storage. Transport is always a bit dicy with bigger modules for us, making sure the bigger SUVs and hatchbacks can be arranged to transport and make sure we do t get stuck a car short on one end or the other. Also hard to get members to commit to larger modules for them to work on at their homes, it’s taken a while to get folks doing Ttrak modules.

our 3.0 sectional layout is planned to pack the most in for track and scenes, but break apart into medium sized modules that can go into multiple module roadie boxes and fit in most hatchbacks. Also designed to be expandable so we could be flexible on setup size as needed. Sadly this is a bit in hiatus now as it’s only workspace is my place and next steps will make it grow significantly in storage space. Also I then have to match all the time that the club puts in as I have to be around for all work sessions and it gobbles up all my own play space. When I have more time and energy or we have a member who can have the space for work sessions and storage then it will get going again.

jeff

jeff, i understand what you mean (and the Creativity was a Joke 😉), we have the same problem. We have also dimensioned the transport in such a way that usually 2 modules fit in a car, sometimes 4 modules also fit. then it depends on how many members have or can bring modules. At the moment this is the case at IG nippon, as Tibor and I own the Modules and transport almost all. I also started with 2 station modules that I couldn't use for 2 years (ok, but I could play on them).

and I held my first exhibition without corner modules (improvised) but I got all 4 parts in my car (old Ford focus). that was 7 years ago

WP_20141114_001.thumb.jpg.42508cf572902625695d13983df07b38.jpgWP_20141114_002.thumb.jpg.0327edfc7c9a5ff3ccd9de8cc26a756c.jpg

Edited by shiniji
  • Like 2

sorry I guess it’s a touchy subject with me! 😫

Yes it’s funny how even big SUVs can at times not hold many modules! Surprisingly our Prius v can handle more than some mid sized SUVs. Our best was a Saab station wagon one member had, always surprising how much we could pack in that sucker! Two dimensions we dont want to exceed is back door width and height on car as well as door handle to door handle width in a back seat! 

Great end improv! Modular is nice for one person to easily do a small exhibit. We did a 10’ Ttrak loop last weekend here at a big Japanese anime convention and it fit in like only half of the Prius v and that was with individual module plastic boxes that usually waste 50-100% of the space. Later summer project is roadie boxes for the club Ttrak modules to reduce their volume down to the minimum so even a sedan could haul a 2 table setup easily.

jeff

• Like 1
On 8/12/2021 at 11:16 PM, cteno4 said:

sorry I guess it’s a touchy subject with me! 😫

Yes it’s funny how even big SUVs can at times not hold many modules! Surprisingly our Prius v can handle more than some mid sized SUVs. Our best was a Saab station wagon one member had, always surprising how much we could pack in that sucker! Two dimensions we dont want to exceed is back door width and height on car as well as door handle to door handle width in a back seat! 

Great end improv! Modular is nice for one person to easily do a small exhibit. We did a 10’ Ttrak loop last weekend here at a big Japanese anime convention and it fit in like only half of the Prius v and that was with individual module plastic boxes that usually waste 50-100% of the space. Later summer project is roadie boxes for the club Ttrak modules to reduce their volume down to the minimum so even a sedan could haul a 2 table setup easily.

jeff

Hehe,

I don´t even try that with our Chevy Aveo (Sonic in U.S.). It has to be a transporter. Renting is much cheaper then buying and maintaining a SUV.

It would have been nice if the original idea had worked out. Many people with a few modules. Instead it got 2 people with a LOT of modules.

Anyway! I´m happy we realize the debut in Vienna. Really looking forward to it. We´ll do a lot of pics, vids and streams.

bye, Tibor

Today there is the next part: station modules.

and before I forget: we work out from the middle of the 40cm standard modules, i.e. 20cm in the middle of the modules with the track center distance from Tomix 🙂

1490186518_greresLayout.thumb.jpg.9129b9ee80095065a644330021002af7.jpg

IMG_5698.thumb.jpg.1cb2353a2e9fa58ab14a038fc7f70e1f.jpg

Here it is identical to the line modules. The main dimensions are 1120cm. For the Variogleise in the train station, I cut pieces of gravel bed from Tomix to the right length that fit into the spaces.

the whole thing looks like this:

20180729_163351.thumb.jpg.dff8c47d7d1e5d9a942a5dde33bc021c.jpg

I chose the route with the WP tracks from Tomix because at my first station after a few years problems arose with the points that were ballasted.

The same also applies to modules with track swiveling. It is important that the transition at the ends fits (you have a margin of up to 4-4.4cm here (it should not be less, otherwise you can no longer use the variable track with assembled modules). You can see that on the track plan.

With these two modules, which differ in terms of their footprint, a relatively large system can be built (and yes, it works in the living room for a weekend too!). and most importantly: it can get bigger and bigger!

20180106_125918.thumb.jpg.1fd756894eb319b520b74e879e1959ec.jpg

20181115_215309.thumb.jpg.bd975c32a4fcef4393f586013b5b3da1.jpg

20191116_195110-2.thumb.jpg.a8b4de9d06a7d79f8ce5e57cf1250692.jpg

Another important point: the power supply of the modules with the IgnippoN modules is designed as follows: luster terminal plugs on each side ++ - and reversed on the other side. This means that the module can be used rotated at any time:

20210822_093831.thumb.jpg.d655010e621479b58e429d86e0bc960f.jpg

As you can see, the whole thing is actually quite simple, easy and I have been using and testing it for years 🙂

Edited by shiniji
  • Like 4

Thanks for posting. I am doing the same. I had worked out the straights. As lumber and ply come in 1200 lengths. So minimal cutting required. Worked in well with the 4x S280s and V70s to connect.

But I hadn't figured out the corners at all. You have completely solved my problem/s.

To be honest. I will just carbon copy the standards.

And I was gonna use a 30mm layer of foam. But seeing that cut-away module, I think I won't need it.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 2

Question.

Why are the corner modules so big? Done some calcs and it looks like the outer track is centred in the long modules.

Just the way it worked out or you want more scenery in front or tracks or other?

Edited by katoftw
8 hours ago, katoftw said:

Question.

Why are the corner modules so big? Done some calcs and it looks like the outer track is centred in the long modules.

Just the way it worked out or you want more scenery in front or tracks or other?

Hello,

The center of the modules is at 20cm. That marks the middle of the main line tracks. Meaning that WP tracks would touch each other there. Regular tracks would have to be centered 1,85cm away from the 20cm mark as the distance between the center of the two tracks is Tomix norm 3,7cm. That calculated with the radius of 39,1cm outer and 35,4cm inner curve results in a square of ~61,5cm lengh. We decided to cut the inner corner to meet the 40cm width. You could cut the outer edge too, but as you mentioned: it would cost room to design the module. 40cm width is the absolute minimum. We tend to use 60cm width. There is just more room to put things that are along the tracks.

My thoughts of narrower modules (curves and straights) goes into the direction of elevated Shinkansen tracks. They would require big radiuses to look great. That curve modules would be like 22,5 degrees and like the straight modules only 20cm wide. But we are far from realizing a norm for that 🙂

So, if you want to build IGN compatible modules just keep 4 things in mind:

• Center the tracks and interface at 20cm and make the interface 40cm wide. The module itself can be as big as you may like. It just must be in lengh a multiple of 30cm. (60, 90, 120, ...)
  • Leave 4cm free at every edge for the V70 vario track. (maybe keep it free from balast too for WP)
  • Top of the module is 100cm. If you use legs, a table or other means of stable stand is up to you.
  • And the smallest radius of a curve has to be at least 35,4cm. The bigger, the better 🙂 But: It must fit into the 30cm scheme. (I know: 61,5cm does apparently not, but it is a compromise to the combination of variable tracks and the 35,4cm radius)

Any questions are highly welcome 🙂

bye, Tibor

• Like 1