Where’s the @#$&! Xacto knife!

cteno4

Xacto knives are like pencils, they are never right there when you need them. To combat this I’ve taken to trying to saturate the work environments with them! Of course mr Murphy fights against this but it sort of works. A very inexpensive alternative to a regular hobby knife (which can be over $5 for a name brand) are microblading handles (for tattooing things like fake eyebrows). Basically same thing as a regular xacto knife handle, but you can pick them up for under a dollar on ebay or aliexpress. Of course some places with import duty’s will drive this up unfortunately. But I have a number of different blades as well as gluing tips and micro spudgers that it’s great to keep in handles and not loose the various tips and just grab as needed.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000712849832.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.5eea3c00ujnINx&mp=1

contoured handles

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000138314307.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.5eea3c00ujnINx&mp=1

smaller end ones for things like micro scalpel blades

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002631156678.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.5eea3c00ujnINx&mp=1

double ended ones

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32799752627.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.24896d158H8ljw&algo_pvid=9e92c24c-84e4-40bd-a30c-1b9351acaefd&algo_exp_id=9e92c24c-84e4-40bd-a30c-1b9351acaefd-16&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"10000013763782240"}

just search around with microblading.

cheers

jeff

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

You can't win. The more you buy, the more they melt like candy.  🙂

You really trust Aliexpress.com ?????

Edited by bill937ca

I think its the garden nomes coming in at night screwing with me for letting the garden goji loose on them.

yes ive had all my aliexpress orders come, quite a few dozen and none have gone poof. the only issue i have had with them was when the one highrise model was shipped by the seller only wrapped in bubble wrap. their refund system totally sucks and you cant talk to anyone. lesson learned. but for odd little bits its now the most inexpensive for bits and bobs, electronic bits etc, especially if you are buying a few in quantity. its also good for hardware bits like handles, hinges, clasps, etc that can get pricy elsewhere especially when a project needs a number of them.

i do keep track of the order and would be ready to start the complaint with aliexpress or if need be do a cc hold on it. but so far for small non breakable bits its worked well.

jeff

• Like 1

Yep pretty much exactly the same as a standard hobby knife handle collet mech. Some have a single slot and others have crossed slots in the collet.

cheers, 

jeff

Awwww you only live once! Having a blade in both ends is great as which ever way you grab it you got a pointy end! Really I don’t use it double bladed, but handy to have two different spudger tips on one handle and just flip it over.

there are also smaller handles with smaller collet that are great for the micro scalpel blades, small drill bits and small spudger tips.

https://smile.amazon.com/Microblading-Aluminum-Lock-Pin-Permanent-Supplies/dp/B0921RJC1H/ref=sr_1_24?keywords=Microblading+pen&qid=1639165878&sr=8-24

jeff

• Haha 1

Nice! My wife would be happy about the choice of color!

I don't need so many knives, but I surely use a lot of blades. #11. I usually buy their (Xacto's) 40-pack. Some of them from my local hobby shop, some of them from Amazon. I see report online claiming that they last more or less longer depending on their origin... I don't know.

I recently came across these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002949501394.html. Just a few dollars for 100.

I’ve been shocked for 5 decades how xacto knives can just go poof! I don’t want to think how many that have disappeared at home or at work. When you buy a pike then they are everywhere but later when you need one…

be careful about blades, some are quite soft and dull fast. I have been impressed with the xacto Z series zirconium nitride blades. Bit pricy but you can find deals,mbut the tips stay very sharp and I’ve found them worth the bit extra as sharp is the point, so to speak.

cheers

jeff

• Like 2
3 hours ago, cteno4 said:

be careful about blades, some are quite soft and dull fast. I have been impressed with the xacto Z series zirconium nitride blades. Bit pricy but you can find deals,mbut the tips stay very sharp and I’ve found them worth the bit extra as sharp is the point, so to speak.

Thanks for the tip!

Marc

For #11 blades, I only use the Xacto Z series blades now. They are sharper, stronger, longer lasting. The tip in particular is more resistant to breaking off. They are more expensive, but I don't consume enough that it matters that much.

The sad thing about the standard #11 blade is that the tip gets all the action. I finish most of these blades with 95% of the blade perfect, but the tip busted off and dull.

• Like 3

I totally concur! At first I was skeptical, but they have won me over. I realized how much of my hobby work is done with that tiny tiny tip, so having the best possible boils down to it! 

i do feel bad chucking a blade when only the tip is finally worn. I’ve honed them but they don’t sharpen really well and rather spend time cutting than honing. At least matte knife blades are usually dull most of the blade once dead.

jeff

Ages and ages ago, I came across a small piece of whetstone that has dwelt with my XActo knives ever since.  They resharpen easily with a few strokes, even the broken tip.  With this, the blades last until they actually break (over-torquing is a danger when working on metal miniatures).  I only take out a new #11 when I really want that fine-pointed tip.

For bonus points, it's quicker to sharpen the current blade than to go rummaging about for the box of new ones!

XActoWhet.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1