Germany Travel for September 2021

Tony Galiani

Tony Galiani

My wife is anxious to go to Germany, possibly in September - her uncle is having surgery later this month and her cousin also has some medical concerns so she would like to see them as it has been such a long time since we were there.

I am curious if any of the Forum members who live in Germany have any insights into how things are going over there.  I am not very concerned about travel but wondering if we will be able to do anything besides stay with family.  And still sorting out requirements to enter the country.

My sense from our phone calls is that things are getting back to normal but precautions are still needed.  That's okay with me - it is what life seems to be like for me here.

Also wondering how compliant people are with masking and related precautions.  We would feel more comfortable if masking and compliance were the norm.

I realize this may be an odd request but any information would be appreciated.  Trying to balance concerns for visiting family with a measure of good judgement.

Tschuss,

Tony Galiani

roadstar_na6

Masks are mandatory anywhere that's indoors but numbers are slightly on the rise again as there are Bundestagswahlen next month and all parties try to get voters by trying to drop restrictions. In general you're pretty free to do what you want, most museums, restaurants and the like are opened at the moment albeit you probably need a reservation in advance

Just to add to what Jan said, compliance is high in Berlin. You still get the random person that forgets or refuse to wear their masks indoors and/or keep proper Abstand, but Berliners are good at aggressively reminding people to behave properly and as per the rules, at least people working in shops and restaurants. My anecdotical sample is that almost nobody uses the public disinfectants.

My general feeling is that a good chunk of the population is starting to think and act as if the pandemic was already over. Which is kind of an infectious mindset, I have recently caught myself almost removing my mask after exiting a shop but while still being indoors.

Tony Galiani

Thanks for the info.  Good to know.

I am seeing comments on some travel sites that the EU may close to Americans due to the situation over here so I guess I will wait and see what happens this week. 

My wife was on the phone with her relatives yesterday and told me words to the effect that "I told them we might try to visit so now we really have to."  If the EU restricts travel that would make the decision easier and more palatable for her.

I guess we shall see how this develops.

Tony

Still hoping that there is some Himbeer Kuchen in my future.

2 hours ago, disturbman said:

but Berliners are good at aggressively reminding people to behave properly and as per the rules,

Snicker. As a former Berlin resident, I have to say this profoundly true.