How many feeders do I need?

Zimmer

Hi. I am building a switching layout using Tomix fine track. It’s DCC and I am looking for advice on how many feeders I will need and where best to place them especially with regards the industrial spurs, yard ladder and double crossovers and turnouts. Any advice gratefully received.

Zimmer, 

This will really depend on if you are doing dcc, point routing dc or switched dc control. How are you planning running your power for the switching layout? Also will really depend on your track plan on where feeders will need to be placed based upon your power control.

can you give us some more information on your plans and layout plans?

cheers

jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its all controlled by DCC (z21). The points are all power routed. There is a bus wire to which I connect the DCC controller and all the feeders will run off that. The track is a stretched oval (3m x 1m) withall the spurs and the yard on the inside. I seem to recall it was important to power into a turnout?

Yavaris Forge

I'd say if you use new track you need less feeder points than with used track, but I can't tell you exactly how many. I would be very interested in a track plan if you have one already. Maybe you can post it here. 😄

• Thanks 1

Well if you want total freedom of DCC power everywhere regardless of point settings then you need to make sure each of the two lines diverging from a point are always fed from a feeder. When you feed both diverging ends of a point the common end is always fed regardless of the direction the point is thrown. Double crossovers as well need all 4 tracks fed independently. you just need to go thru the track plan to strategically place them to be spread out and have all your track live regardless of point directions. If it’s a short layout you don’t need to worry about the distance as it will be shorter than the usual DCC minimum most likely,

If it’s just a short like 3 or 4’ switching layout 4 or 5 power feeds should do you, extra does not hurt with a DCC setup like this (using power routing in yards you have to be careful where you place feeds). With DCC you may want heavier gauge feeds and you can do this easily by just cutting a slot under the rails (with a dremel/roto tool) on a piece of track and soldering heavier gauge wires like 16 or 18g directly to the bottom of the rails. I just pre-tin the wire and the bottom of the rail then it’s a fast fusion solder to attach the wire. Dab of epoxy over the joint/slot/wire insulation end makes a tough strain relief. but since you are not running multiple engines most likely and very short track lenght it may do fine with standard feeders. If you have some regular feeders test it out, you could even play with standard feeders on your test setup to make sure everything is happy and go to larger gauge feeders if needed.

jeff

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1