My photo and videos 1970s~2000s

Modellbahn JP

Modellbahn JP
4 minutes ago, disturbman said:

I remember getting these fish roe pockets, I think from around Kanazawa. A bit strange for my taste, but the packaging was wonderful. Kanazawa probably had the best sashimi-don I ever had, with lots of various sea food, like mussels or urchins.

I think what you said "fish roe pockets" would be "Ikura"(salmon's roe) and people who don't have a habit to eat feel strange.

Kanazawa has a good fishing port of Japan sea so sea food is so great.

It’s great to hear what kind of food was served. As Japanese people have such a connection to food, its good to learn it was much better than the comical experiences us Brits had in any British Rail buffet car during its gradual decline.

Food tourism is a big part of the experience for Japanese travellers and there are very local specialties which seem to be common knowledge across Japan. I remember being amazed by some of the tourist brochures which had a lot of photos of platters of meat rather than famous landmarks. 

Modellbahn JP
15 minutes ago, Kamome said:

Brits had in any British Rail buffet car during its gradual decline.

My son said he didn't feel to go buffet car after he came back from a trip to UK because none of foods looked like delicious ha ha.

Modellbahn JP

I traveled to Kyusyu in 1976.

There are a lot of DMU.

yahata.thumb.jpg.875dc0b4ec82753ae19254258d0bd60e.jpg

JNR Series 82 DMU Exp. "Matsukaze"  at Yahata.

miyazaki.thumb.jpg.270fa16aed86d6dbaf3fc3a2e3ef7f6b.jpg

JNR Series 82 DMU Exp. "Ooyodo"  at Miyazaki.

Edited by Modellbahn JP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice photos. I used to live close to Yahata.

Did you ever see a Kiha 82 900?

I have a Kato one in HO and i know they were small in number but I was under the impression unit 902 was stationed around Kagoshima at some point. The reason I ask, in the Kato 82-900 blurb, it states that one of these sometimes ran in certain formations through Kyushu. However when i run it in my Matsukaze formation, as stated as a possible 900 formation, there are a few raised eyebrows as many seem to think it was only in Hokkaido or sometimes used with the 81, Inaho/Hitachi.

Love the Kiha 82 photos, that's one of my favorite JNR series.  It's neat they were widespread in Kyushu until electrification replaced them. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Modellbahn JP said:

My son said he didn't feel to go buffet car after he came back from a trip to UK because none of foods looked like delicious ha ha.

Yes, I think the egg and cress sandwiches are now classified as biological weapons.

• Haha 2
51 minutes ago, Kamome said:

Yes, I think the egg and cress sandwiches are now classified as biological weapons.

Sounds like the old Amtrak wave burgers! Everytime I ate one I would think why am I doing this? But then I realized the alternative was a packaged sandwich which I was not sure how many dc/ny runs it had taken…

Jeff

• Haha 2
Modellbahn JP
14 hours ago, Kamome said:

Nice photos. I used to live close to Yahata.

Did you ever see a Kiha 82 900?

I have a Kato one in HO and i know they were small in number but I was under the impression unit 902 was stationed around Kagoshima at some point. The reason I ask, in the Kato 82-900 blurb, it states that one of these sometimes ran in certain formations through Kyushu. However when i run it in my Matsukaze formation, as stated as a possible 900 formation, there are a few raised eyebrows as many seem to think it was only in Hokkaido or sometimes used with the 81, Inaho/Hitachi.

I've not encountered Kiha 82-900.

According to wiki, Kiha 82-902 was assigned at Kagoshima at first and finaly at Hakodate.

Other 900s were at Mukoumachi, Oku, Hakodate.

As you said, I think Exp.Ooyodo, Nichirin etc. includes 902 in composition.

• Like 1

I must admit when I was on a dining car run on Amtrak I had excellent food. Best French toast I ever had was on an Amtrak while going thru western texas mountains, part may have been the scenery and just wonderfulness that is a train trip, but it’s one of those top 10 meals in memory as locked in so many ways.

jeff

• Like 1
Modellbahn JP
4 hours ago, cteno4 said:

I must admit when I was on a dining car run on Amtrak I had excellent food. Best French toast I ever had was on an Amtrak while going thru western texas mountains, part may have been the scenery and just wonderfulness that is a train trip, but it’s one of those top 10 meals in memory as locked in so many ways.

jeff

That sounds good!

Some day, I'm dreaming to ride Amtrak especially Empire Builder or California Zephyr!

And also want to go a dining car and eat American food!

• Like 1
On 8/3/2021 at 8:37 AM, Modellbahn JP said:

Hase

Interesting that 長谷駅 on the Bantan Line is Hase, but 長谷駅 on the Sanko Line was Nagatani (closed with the rest of the line on March 31, 2018).  I suppose Hase is the more common reading of those characters, but since my earliest days of studying Japanese, Nagatani seemed correct to me.  A story...

In December 2003, I was wandering around Hagi, Yamaguchi around 7 or 8 PM, clutching my edition of Lonely Planet Japan.  It was nighttime, it was cold, and I was tired and hungry.  It took some hours to get here from Tsuwano, including a lay over and maybe a missed train at Masuda.

Using the guidebook, I somehow found the street with one of the recommended hotels, the Business Hotel Hasegawa.  Keep in mind this is written in English, with Japanese words/names expressed in romaji.  Across from the bus center, it said.  I walked down the street, on the lookout.

Lo!  The bus center!  But across the street was the Hotel Nagatanigawa, clearly written in kanji.  That's not what I want.  I continued on, but was unable to find the Business Hotel Hasegawa.  I went back, passing the bus center and the Hotel Nagatanigawa.  I continued on until I got to Route 191, one of the initial landmarks.  Although I can't be sure, I probably said some bad words, and decided to settle for the Hotel Nagatanigawa.

Fortunately they had a vacancy.  In my room, thinking about what I might do for dinner, I noticed the hotel's name written in English/romaji on the receipt: Hasegawa.  I likely said a few more bad words before going out for some food.

• Like 3
Modellbahn JP

@miyakoji

That sounds tough story.

Japanese "Kanji" has a lot of the way to read. it's confusing for people who can't read.

I'm living in Yokohama city and so there are some station names which I don't know how I should read.

Notably, I was astonished "十三" .

People commonly read "Juusan" (It means thirteen in English) but "Juusou"(Hankyu railway station) is the correct way to read.

Kanji is a strange letter!  

Edited by Modellbahn JP
  • Like 2
Modellbahn JP

JNR Class 58 Electric Locomotive collection

168851969_1123041574847244_3516218432008095243_n.thumb.jpg.caa21a224b7388d9215b31e8f64e6f64.jpg

EF58 and Series 20 Sleeper Exp. "Ginga" in 1976

toyokawa.thumb.jpg.71dfdd8cd753dddf0318177447d2c8dc.jpg

EF58 and Coaches for (maybe) Indonesia at Toyokawa in 1976

suma.thumb.jpg.44c2360cc47f048ed89bc3756eed81f9.jpg

EF58 and Freight wagons at Suma in 1977

Edited by Modellbahn JP
  • Like 8
Modellbahn JP

hanwasen.thumb.jpg.22711b682e7f95a09b57a060ced2fcae.jpg

JNR Series 113 Rapid service "Shin-Kaisoku" on Hanwa line in 1977

Edited by Modellbahn JP
  • Like 6
Modellbahn JP

JNR Class EH10 Collection

suma.thumb.JPG.f160f0ee21325ec9c6068f287819e7d6.JPG

Near Suma station in 1975

sekigahara.thumb.JPG.0b55a6c56bddd81437109f51eb0487f9.JPG

At Sekigahara in in 1976

kanaya2.thumb.JPG.0069dc5583c0579c7c131275cd371ca5.JPG

At Kanaya in 1976

kanaya.thumb.JPG.9cacdf115824c6c84fbaad7cf037a7d8.JPG

At Kanaya in 1976

Edited by Modellbahn JP
  • Like 11

I really like the stainless steel bodies on these and the EF81 300s.  Stainless steel was used to resist saltwater corrosion wasn't it?  There are many non-stainless trains in the area, are they affected by the sea air?

• Like 1
Modellbahn JP
20 hours ago, miyakoji said:

Are they affected by the sea air?

I heard EF10 was scrapped in 10 years after started a service because of the sea air so stainless steel was preferred in 1930s.

But after decades, It become locos needn't be made by that because the technology of steelmaking and painting have been progressed.

• Like 1

Great selection of photos again @Modellbahn JP I particularly like the tunnel tractors at Shimonoseki station. I am also a fan of the stainless steel bodies on the EF30s and the EF81-300s. There was one EF10 24 in stainless steel. Did that one fair any better?

• Like 2
Modellbahn JP

@Kamome

I've not seen EF10-24 but I think it's a good shape electric loco.

It reminds me of Art Deco era in the U.S.

Actually, I heard pre war electric locos like EF10 was a motif of Great Northern Railroad Class Y1.

(But I also like EF30 because it's so unique loco)