My photo and videos 1970s~2000s

Modellbahn JP

7 minutes ago, Modellbahn JP said:

Watching it carefully, it's a restaurant car which looks like toilets flushing as you said.

I heard it has the system which dispose of swage from the tank directly.

Very interesting

Here you can see how it's working in France (switch to EN in the top right corner and click on "Flush" to see)

https://3minutesstop.alstom.com/infographie/train-toilets-work/

Indeed, this first generation fo toilets doens't exist anymore and the old 'Corail' cars (and others) have been refurbished to remove the external WC pipe.

On this picture :

530342734_Capturedcran2021-12-14115701.jpg.eed3844271f602fc6f1cdd7842bf2774.jpg

You can see the 2 WC pipes flushing on the rails. 

I know that, in northern part of France, some are remaining but the rolling stock is gradually replaced by brand new rolling stock. With this old fashioned way to proceed, the customers were asked not to use the toilets when the train was at the station ... sounds logical.

I must recognize it was really a dirty way to proceed and I'm happy this has changed.

When I was in China in 1986, it was exactly the same 'first generation'. 

JM. 

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Modellbahn JP said:

Watching it carefully, it's a restaurant car which looks like toilets flushing as you said.

I heard it has the system which dispose of swage from the tank directly.

If the water is coming from the restaurant car, it might be "grey water" from dish washing or cooking etc. being disposed of?

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 1

@JR East, I don't think the JNR limited express type EMUs were ever fitted with a direct flush type toilet, even the 151 series (MoHa 20) which formed the basis for all later limited express types, were fitted with a compactor type waste water system, which separated the waste products from the water, with the water itself being ex-pulsed onto the track, though towards the inside of the track not the outside as shown in the picture. The 0 series shinkansen would be the first to include a storage tank for waste water, though by 1969 they had switched to the circulation type system. With that being said, I don't think what you're seeing is related to a toilet being flushed, thankfully.

After doing a bit of research into the treatment of waste water (read toilet systems) on National Railway equipment, a sentence I can't believe I'm uttering here, it seems that the National Railway started mandating the installation of circulation type waste treatment systems, in which water is separated from the waste materials (let's refer to the actual materials as waste products, rather than their actual composition) which is then stored in a tank, with the treated water re-circulating into the system, being used for flushing the toilets, ever since 1968. This prioritized limited express trains and long distance trains in general, and apparently by 1981, 75% of all the National Railway cars had been retrofitted with this system.

Now with the 485 series pictured by @Modellbahn JP being composed of early model, 1968~1972 production batch cars they were either already fitted with the circulations system during production, or most likely had been retrofitted at this point in time. Coincidentally, you can actually notice the presence of the circulation type equipment in this picture, namely the triangle shaped/keg shaped devices, the first of which can be seen behind the second bogie (slightly above the railhead) with a second one visible on the adjacent MoHa 485 type car directly next to it. In fact when taking a closer look, you'll notice that they are present along the entire length of the formation on the locations at the points where toilets would be present, at least when talking about the 485 series cars.

Adding to this, I don't believe the SaShi 481 type cars were even fitted with toilets in the first place, weren't they? (apart from a urinal for the employees at one the end of the car) And even if they were, they would've been located at the car ends, not at the centre, which is were the water seems to be originating from in the picture.

So it might indeed be like @railsquid said, a discharge of waste water from the kitchen, however I believe there was no direct discharge for grey water on those cars either, rather they would store said waste water which was then pumped out at certain stations if necessary, so it might not be this either.  The location also matches location of either one of the water tanks or the 70kva motor generator (which was used to supply the kitchen equipment with AC power, an unlikely source), and as the discharge(?) seems to appear as mist, I think it likely that it's being expelled under pressure, so perhaps it might be an overflow valve for the water tank or something in that vein?

the only other source I can think of is condensation water being expelled from the braking system, which would match the visuals at least, however as the SaShi 481 type cars weren't fitted with a compressor or main air tank, only with the air tanks for their own braking system (e.g. not the train line) that seems to be less likely, though there may still be some expulsion valve for the train line (automatic air brake (backup)) somewhere on the car. So, an interesting mystery indeed (perhaps we can...flush it out...).

Anyway before this thread take a further turn, and goes even further down the drain, (I'll stop, I promise, honest)...

Edited by 200系
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Modellbahn JP
22 hours ago, railsquid said:

If the water is coming from the restaurant car, it might be "grey water" from dish washing or cooking etc. being disposed of?

That's right!

Modellbahn JP

FH000034.thumb.jpg.30371759eb8d0cf35b9af48484498a67.jpg

(Left)JNR Class EF65 Loco No.1 at Suma in 1976

(Right) JNR Class EF65 Loco No.1 at Kyoto Railway Museum in 2021

Edited by disturbman
  • Like 9
On 12/28/2021 at 7:42 AM, Modellbahn JP said:

FH000040.thumb.jpg.d98a97e9632ff2a3aa177e5890c7e330.jpg

JNR Class DD54 Diesel Locomotive and Series 58 DMU at Himeji Station in 1976

11 hours ago, Modellbahn JP said:

FH000043.thumb.jpg.1be33691fdb34e11741ca4b967913cd2.jpg

NR Class DD54 Diesel Locomotive at Himeji Station in 1976

Very nice, @Modellbahn JP.  Do you recall if these diesels were for the Kishin/Bantan Lines?  When I could use the Seishun 18 ticket, I often traveled the Sanyo line through Himeji and transfered between special rapids and locals there, or sometimes at Aioi.

DD54 22 has some kind of graffiti written into the dirt below the windshield.  River-go?

• Thanks 1
Modellbahn JP

@miyakoji

Sorry for my rate reply.

I remember DD54 were for Bantan line.

These were built to replace steam locos like C57 and C58 on Sanin, Bantan and Fukuchiyama line with diesel locos for smokeless.

I don't make sense what the graffiti is written.

I think someone wrote as nick name like "Hikari gou" or "Nozomi gou".

("号" means specific train on railway)

• Like 1