TOMIX TN Kinematic Couplers

Sylvermane

Hi all.

I haven't found an answer to this specifically, so...

Can anyone explain the difference between the TOMIX 0336 and 0339 kinematic coupler units?

Also, are all the kinematic units designed to give the same coupler length from the mounting pegs?

I like to get the car ends as close as possible 🙂

Japanese web is full of comparisons:

"However, 0336 was specified in the instruction manual for Cassiopeia, the first product. The only difference between the two is the length of the coupler handle, and the mount is a common specification. The reason for the change from the remanufactured product to 0339 is said to be to make the passage on the curve smoother. However, as far as I used it, 0336 didn't seem to be a problem."

https://blog.goo.ne.jp/turn-table/e/049fb27a76f4c015dad747ceb7644a4b

If you do an image search for one of the two items, you will see comparison pictures. Then you can follow the links to read what people have to say.

Because the Tomix 0339 is slightly longer than the 0336, you can use it with trains who derail on certain curves because the couplers are too short. E.g. Greenmax generally is too close for 0336 TN couplers (but, you should use KATO Pocket Couplers where possible), and the Shinkansen 0 from Micro Ace (later editions) also require longer 0339 couplers than 0336 couplers even on "regular" curves. By mixing the two you can have enough space between cars without derailment, while it still being slightly closer than with ordinary Rapido couplers. 

Edited by Yavianice
Sylvermane

Thanks for the replies.

Sorts out the question and shows sometimes even the 'just clip on' solution still needs some modelling effort to get things fitted up properly!