Shoebox Micro Layout

Szdfan

35002EF4-1D8D-44A8-83EE-6E332ECE0580.thumb.jpeg.10a11c78773b02f8c066c18d059f85d9.jpeg

Today I spent a bit of time staring at some of my models in a shoebox, thinking about a switching layout that could fit in a shoebox, a bit like Michael Campbell’s OO9 Southon Yard (basically a small scene with an off stage fiddle yard.)

(And I know I’m cheating with N scale, which is easier to fit than 1:76 and my box is kinda big.)

Considering that I have almost exclusively freight cars, I’m thinking about some sort of industrial theme, but not sure what. 

I’m not sure I love the Rapido couplers, which seem to be a bit of a struggle to uncouple. Thoughts?

• Like 5
On 6/25/2021 at 12:52 AM, Szdfan said:

(And I know I’m cheating with N scale, which is easier to fit than 1:76 and my box is kinda big.)

Considering that I have almost exclusively freight cars, I’m thinking about some sort of industrial theme, but not sure what. 

I used to get very inspired by the micro layouts on www.carendt.com .

Anyway, now I got inspired to play around a bit using free version Anyrail design software asuming a 35x30cm box and found a surprising amount of stuff can be fitted there.

image.png.1654d96da95f89f03046012761e83fa5.png

(Trains enter at the lower left corner. 7cm long Fine track pieces used, meaning one car will fit one track piece.)

I’m not sure I love the Rapido couplers, which seem to be a bit of a struggle to uncouple. Thoughts?

Nobody loves Rapido couplers, but I find them very easy to uncouple. I still use the same piece of wooden stick I bent the tip of the day my first rolling stock arrived. I just get it under the couplers, lift slightly and uncoupling takes place. Only very rarely will I make a mistake and cause a derailment.

image.thumb.png.bb5e4a2856c76482908adffc5670487f.png

Edited by MeTheSwede
  • Like 3