Bending Tracks

mags_minibuilds

mags_minibuilds
44 minutes ago, VJM said:

Looks like PECO N flex track to me.

@VJM thanks! I've never worked with flex tracks before but I assume if I look it up on YouTube it would be the same method for a tiny loop like this?

Edited by ZandT
Martijn Meerts

Not sure which track this is, but Peco flex track bends really well and might be able to do curves like this. Roco also used to have extra bendable flex track, but Fleischmann does all the N scale stuff for Roco now, not sure if Fleischmann also took over the rail system. 

As for how to bend it, should be similar to any other curve really, just with more force 🙂

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, ZandT said:

@VJM thanks! I've never worked with flex tracks before but I assume if I look it up on YouTube it would be the same method for a tiny loop like this?

There's nothing really difficult with flex track.  Just bend it into the shape that you want.  For really tight curves like these, you will need to pin it down (both the sleepers and the sides of the track) and possibly clamp in position to glue it down as well.

You will also need to take care with cutting the track to the correct length.  With your 3rd example above, obviously the inner track will be significantly shorter, so an accurate track cut will reduce any problems at the join.

• Thanks 1

Those tracks have opposing factors to flex track. They are made like G scale (LGB) ties. The railroad spikes (plastic nubs) are really loose on G scale allowing for the

ties to spread out. Not sure if flex track ties will allow that without ripping the spikes out.

Inobu

• Thanks 1

You may have to snip some of the tie to tie joints under the rails to get some intense curves. Different brands of flex track have different patterns of tie to tie joints from what I remember.

jeff

• Thanks 1
mags_minibuilds

Does Kato make flex tracks? I zoomed into this photo (upper right ties) and the imprint says “KATO 2500 JAPAN”. I googled it but all I can see is Atlas 2500 Code 80 flex track. Perhaps it’s the same thing…?

9C60AE66-5717-448E-935F-A299973E8ECA.png

That aint Kato. Any code 80 flex track will do that.

Kato does resell/rebrand anothers product as their flex. But I thought it was Peco.

Edited by katoftw
  • Thanks 1
Martijn Meerts
21 hours ago, inobu said:

Those tracks have opposing factors to flex track. They are made like G scale (LGB) ties. The railroad spikes (plastic nubs) are really loose on G scale allowing for the

ties to spread out. Not sure if flex track ties will allow that without ripping the spikes out.

Inobu

The older extra bendable Roco track does allow for that yes. If you cut a smaller piece off (even like 20 cm), you can quite easily remove the entire rail from the sleepers without causing any damage.

I never liked working with them because they're so ridiculously flexible, but for really sharp curves they should be great.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Martijn Meerts said:

The older extra bendable Roco track does allow for that yes. If you cut a smaller piece off (even like 20 cm), you can quite easily remove the entire rail from the sleepers without causing any damage.

I never liked working with them because they're so ridiculously flexible, but for really sharp curves they should be great.

It is more than removing the sleepers. These are extreme radius where they have cut all the connecting rail supports on the outer rail.

This will stress the spikes (nubs that holds the rail) in some plastics sleepers. They will break off.

So flexibility is not he only factor.

image.png.fe7749e46972c9c3e7447cef940c7163.png

Inobu

• Thanks 1