Z-Scale Shorty Micro Diorama

mags_minibuilds

mags_minibuilds

I want to share my first attempt of creating a Japan-inspired micro diorama layout with the Rokuhan z-scale shorties. This 7.5" x 6" layout is a compilation of scenes that I enjoy in Japan, no specific region or place in mind. It took me around 1 month of time (of any time that I have available). I weathered the buildings, scratch-built several parts (vending machine, bridge, railing, planters, and torii). I've attached some process photos too, as I know it helped me when I was modeling my layout to see how things were created. I loved working with DAS air drying clay for the brick ground and stone wall and it was my first time building with styrene which I really enjoyed. The most time consuming were the mountains, I wasn't too happy with the color of the mountains so I painted it over 3-4 times. So much was learned, trial and error, but it was a fun to make. I have plans on making a micro/cutout diorama for my n-scale B-Train shorties...

IMG_7441.jpg

IMG_7466.jpg

IMG_7477.jpg

IMG_7495.jpg

IMG_7527.jpg

IMG_7543.jpg

IMG_7576.jpg

IMG_7588.jpg

IMG_7953.jpg

IMG_7954.jpg

IMG_7955.jpg

IMG_7956.jpg

IMG_7957.jpg

IMG_7958.jpg

IMG_7960.jpg

Edited by ZandT
  • Like 19
  • mags_minibuilds changed the title to Z-Scale Shorty Micro Diorama

That is very nice indeed! Thanks for sharing the making process! Esp. love 'The chopper' hahaha ~ The folliage and grass on the rock face is very realistic! 

May i suggest installing some figures? I feel that figures really makes the layout comes 'alive' ~~ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
mags_minibuilds

Thanks @JR 500系! I agree about the figures, I have 2 so far but I can add more. My eyes only tolerated hand painting 2 figures I’ll slowly chip at it or find some prepainted ones.

maihama eki

Very nice. I especially like how you created the stone surfaces.

Everyone who looks at this needs to measure out 6 x 7.5 inches to remind them how small that is!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Martijn Meerts

If you told me this was H0, I'd readily believe it, and still think it's a great diorama.

• Thanks 1

Yeah I thought it was n until I finally noticed the title, doh! Really nice job! Kudos.

jeff

• Thanks 1
mags_minibuilds

Here's a photo of the relative size compared to my two other diorama layouts - z-scale (left) and t-scale (right). The bottom layouts are approximately 13" x 17.5".

IMG_8371.thumb.jpg.eafce5ecf2e595b8a25d81e4d1b06517.jpg

• Like 6
mags_minibuilds

@RMB Here's some closeup shots of the layout I had created. The other is a Noch pre-formed layout so I hadn't done much on it besides from plopping accessories on top of it. The T-gauge set was created in 2012, but I've added several things to it within the last couple years.

IMG_8386.jpg

IMG_7287.jpg

IMG_7290.jpg

IMG_7289.jpg

Edited by ZandT
  • Like 6
mags_minibuilds

I was happy to be able to carve out some time this week to paint a couple more figures. Added to the diorama to create more "story" to the layout.

IMG_8400.jpg

IMG_8402.jpg

IMG_8403.jpg

• Like 8

Beautiful work. Do you use magnification when painting the figures? How did you make that grass? It looks perfect. Thanks for sharing!

• Thanks 1
mags_minibuilds
3 hours ago, gavino200 said:

Beautiful work. Do you use magnification when painting the figures? How did you make that grass? It looks perfect. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! Luckily my eyes are still ok and I work without a magnifier. What really helps for me is a bright light source (with a desk lamp) and a fine hobby paint brush, I use the Tamiya 87154 Modeling Brush (though I had just placed an order for the 87153 which is one notch finer, for future figure painting).

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10249766?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=shopping&utm_content=10249766en

Around/inbetween the rails, I used Woodland Scenics 2mm static grass (with a cheesy $20 applicator):

https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/item/SGLG

On the mountains I use WS Fine Turf. I have 3 different shades of green and sometimes I mix the colors so there's variety in color to add interest.

https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/category/FineTurf

For the bigger bushes I use WS Bushes. If the pieces are too big, I break them apart into smaller chunks.

https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/category/GCBushes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1