Passing on Magazines

Tony Galiani

Tony Galiani

I know I am living in the past but I still like my magazines in real form.  Though I have been clearing out a lot of my collection due to space constraints.  In the past I gave them to local model railroad clubs but that isn't an option here.  Or found someone who might have an interest in the topics.  I have many years worth of Continental Modeller that I hate to just send to the recycling bin but not sure how to find a home for them.  What does everyone else do with their old magazines?

Or am I the only one with so much paper in my house?!

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

Yes always an issue. Local clubs do help, we do that sometimes here. Do hate to recycle but they do accumulate. Media rate isn’t bad for shipping them (bout $5 for 5lbs and actually goes down as weight goes up) if you can find someone on the forum in the US interested and they are willing pay the postage and you are willing to box and lug them to the post.

But do tape boxes really well as I had a bundle of Japanese train mags sent to me in this situation and unfortunately the package came apart on conveyer machinery and they all ended up shredded and a shredded label eventually made it to me…

cheers

jeff

• Thanks 1
jappomania

Toni, you are not alone 😜
I also prefer "solid" books and magazine, I don't like ebook or similar and I still continue to accumulate tons of "knowledge",
if somebody ask why, I reply that "paper is even better, if you don't trust me, try to clean your b..tt with an Ipad or a Kindle and let me know....😂"
sometime I try to sell something that has gone out of my interest, reasonable price but never free
(I think that people that receive free items don't really appreciare them and at the end treat it like junk, I hope that my books and magazine are collected with the same care I use, otherwise my wood stove "work better")
space permitting, I think it will be a problem for my grandchildren ... (selling italian motorcycle and train magazines/books will not be a big trouble, but japanese train magazines ... 4-500 kg of paper, a big flame!)

ciao!

Massimo

• Haha 1
Tony Galiani

@jappomania - Ernie Watts, American tenor saxophonist while talking about why he records CDs every year - you can't autograph an mp3.

So I guess there is still room for analog in our digital world.

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

DVDs are accumulating here as I keep getting pissed as various streaming services drop things I was watching or want more than the cost of dvd to stream or add in ads… nice to always have the disc to pop in and enjoy. 

usually someone willing to pay the nominal media freight will have a good home for them. I always look for the best home for things, usually for free if I can find a friend who can really use it or the out wider like the forum, the nominal price on like Craig’s list to like miasmo said be really wanted and not just taken to make a buck on, but at times fine with that as it does go to a home and someone makes a living and I do t want to waste all my time on the process sometimes…

jeff

Tony Galiani

Makes sense to me.  Happy to give them away to a good home.  I agree with you about not wasting time on process - especially when I could be spending that time on modelling.

Tony

Yeah always a toss up, but my main thing now is not waste time trying to squeeze a few bucks out of things if I know they can go directly to good homes. I’m happier all around that way these days. Of course different story if money is tight.

jeff

• Like 1
Tony Galiani

I suppose I should also mention that I am located in North Carolina.

I also have relatively recent (and older) catalogs I am happy to give away as well.

And, on another note, I am with Jeff on the DVDs - I have a collection as it is nice to watch them when I like without worrying about the disappearing from availability.  Since my university has a 35,000 DVD collection available for free loans to staff I have gotten quite into DVDs.  Of course, the process doesn't hurt - walk across campus from my office to the library, pick up DVDs, then pick up coffee and then walk back to the office.  Such a deal!

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

• Like 1

Hmm. I love paper for books and such. But with Japanese train stuff there's one problem. I can't read a word of it. It true that you can get a lot out of the pictures, but a lot of the tricks are in the text. So for Japanese stuff I'm almost purely dependent on internet content. The exception are "coffee table books", full of pictures to leaf through and ponder. 

Having said that, I'm learning to save things I think I might want later. Nothing worse than finding "error 404" when you go back to use some knowledge you now need, 

• Like 1
Tony Galiani

Agree.  I am trying to find a blend - keep items that I like or may find useful and pass on the rest.  I even have some Japanese modeling magazines I will pass on at some point.  On my first trip to Japan I just picked up what I found.  Next time I will be a bit more thoughtful in my selection.

Tony

• Like 2