What do we do for a living?

westfalen

Hobby Dreamer

Just retired....

We hobby guys are lucky! They say that 50% of people die withing 2 years of retirement: that's probably a very old statistic but there is a kernel of truth to it. I wonder how many people die of boredom?

I'll bet we all have always had a certain "spark" of interest in things, in all hobbies and many areas - in building, in planning, in tinkering, thinking about how things work or how to make things work. In architecture and photography. We are "kids in candy stores" at hobby shops and museums.

We appreciate talent and we seem to share more than most. We understand compromise and while we strive for improvement in our lives, interests and hobbies we cherish our accomplishments. We know patience and we take pride in honest work...

They say that when you give an infant a present they may be happier with the box than the gift itself. We are those infants and have had many boxes... We push buttons, pull levers, play with string... experiment, analyze and synthesize.. Pens became spaceships and furniture our docking stations.

We may enjoy our vocations but we live dreaming... We live in the present with an eye to the future and an appreciation of the past.

We may be dreamers but we are explorers as well.. our minds always active with the next goal or how to achieve it...

stuck in a workshop servicing marine safety beacons - no windows and strip lighting only- no wonder i get headaches. been doing this for 11 years now.

In the past have had driving jobs, been a security guard (aviation) worked in a drawing office, and had 3 years off work with M E.

10 years till I retire unless they put up the retirement age.

Jeez, Scott, how long will you have to wait for a window of your own?  :laugh:

I think my first grandchild shout get it sometime shortly before retirement. :=P

It's ironic--I quit the computer-science major in college because I didn't want to spend my life in closed, air-conditioned room staring at monitors. Eventually I tried to be a travel/outdoor writer, but didn't get very far. Instead of really pushing for that, I got it in my fool head to "put my money where my mouth was," and become an environmental planner. I did that, and now I spend my life in closed, air-conditioned rooms staring at a monitor.

I'll have to find soon a real job and I don't know what I will end up doing. I'm going to have a hard time selling my skills here. I hope I'll find something, if not, I might have to go back to Paris or France.

Nick_Burman

Sorry for the delay, just found this post... I'm a Geographer by formation,  presently I work with GIS for the Brazilian representative of TomTom/Tele Atlas auditing and creating geometry for GPS auto navigators.

cheers NB

Martijn Meerts

motherfracking

You been watching Battlestar Galactica, or is that a common use word? =)

Guest ___

motherfracking

I've been using frak since the days of the original show.

Mudkip Orange

My social circle is pretty nerdy, so "frak" is accepted currency, even if I've personally never watched an episode all the way through.

(more of a Trek guy myself)

@Fat Al, are airplane models your other hobby?

No, I fly them for a living. So I don't like to collect the models, because I've become just a little bit jaded about aviation.

angusmclean

I have no responsibilties, little need for decision-making, get up when I want, spend hours on a computer, walk in the country, score hits on Ebay, watch others working  -  I'm retired!!!!

After 46 years of firefighting, I've seen most aspects of community life good and bad, now I enjoy life without sorting out the problems of others. :)

So hurry up and join me.

Angus

This is a snap shot of my work space and view, however ever changing it may be throughout the day...

WorkSPace.jpg

Are you in Melbourne, Australia?

Are you in Melbourne, Australia?

Sure am! Can you guess where?!?  ???

Hmmn, you've got me there.  I could figure out the city by the car numbers pretty quickly, but I've no idea of the location.

boiselfish

Um,  you know, like, right by that McDonalds on the corner!  :grin

Like spot on! Almost. lol.

Its actually on the corner of Swanston Street and Lonsdale Street heading north to the Melbourne University terminus.