What do we do for a living?

westfalen

Mudkip Orange

This is a snap shot of my work space and view, however ever changing it may be throughout the day...

WorkSPace.jpg

AWESOME.

Martijn Meerts

Well, looks like I'll be heading back to work again early September. Haven't signed the actual contract yet, but there's an agreement.

I'll be working as a mobile internet services developer, doing mostly PHP programming, but also iPhone and Android development amongst other things.

I almost headed back to work yesterday, but I had second thoughts that the job might be too heavy.  It would have been my fourth time with the company.  I may yet get something there.

I'm a stationary power engineer. It's a bit like operating a train - steam at that...

It's hot, noisy, dirty and bounces around like a wheelbarrow on a cobblestone street?  You should ask for better working conditions :laugh:

Cheers,

Mark.

I must've missed the original posting.

I'm a former design engineer in the computer storage industry that's been working in technical marketing and business development... At least for a another month or so.....  I've been acquired by the same company twice, had 14 bosses and 6 CEOs in the last 14 years, so it's never a dull moment.

No window view, but the hall at the end of my aisle is all windows and has unobstructed views of the Rocky Mountains.

I'm a retired chemical engineer but I spent most of my working life on power stations in the UK, USA and the Far East. Now I drive a charity bus, portrait painting and play trains.

Richard

Birmingham

England

Im a Pastry Chef, but right now i work as a Process Operator, i make Nicotine Chewing Gum here in Denmark.

Brian Pedersen

Almind

Denmark

Martijn Meerts

Pastry chef?

I think we know where we should go if we ever decide to do a JNS Forum meeting  :grin

I'm a stationary power engineer. It's a bit like operating a train - steam at that...

It's hot, noisy, dirty and bounces around like a wheelbarrow on a cobblestone street?  You should ask for better working conditions :laugh:

Cheers,

Mark.

hot loud and dirty yes, but if it moves that indicates a BIG problem ! ;)

e

SubwayHypes

lots of interesting professions on here, from pilots to chefs to olympics biographys.  i used to be in used car sales but now i am in the medical supplies industry, spend most of my days driving around boxes of stuff, mailing stuff here, picking up stuff here, i do all the advertising, finances, and handle customer relations.  nothing too exciting, spend most days in the car or on computer.

Now had my last course at university. Now a half year to finish my BA thesis on Prehistoric Japan (Jômon-culture to be precise) and to find an employment somewhere. I think I'll first start out on finding something where I can put my language capacities (Dutch, German, English and Japanese) at use for a fair income, then look for something more reliable. All I want is a steady income to fund trips to Japan (to my girlfriend over there of course), my hobbies (railway modelling, making music and drawing) and enjoying a nice life. As long as it's either in Western Germany, the Netherlands or maybe even in Japan. Who knows what'll come along.

Hobby Dreamer
making music

Do tell? Although I have had a guitar for some time (collecting dust) I play everyday now so that I can take lessons this fall.

What do you play?

Rick

CaptOblivious

Soon I'll be a professional Hikkimori again, thanks to this surgery.

You can get paid for that!? I am clearly failing to monetize my core strengths, apparently.

It's hot, noisy, dirty and bounces around like a wheelbarrow on a cobblestone street?  You should ask for better working conditions :laugh:

Cheers,

Mark.

Queensland Rail has called for applications for a steam fireman course, but with the condition that you have to be a diesel qualified driver with QR Passenger to apply. Since I'm only qualified on electrics that leaves me out, not sure if I'm lucky or unlucky. ???

making music

Do tell? Although I have had a guitar for some time (collecting dust) I play everyday now so that I can take lessons this fall.

I'm mostly a synthesiser/keyboard player, but I also do have some experience in trumpet playing. My main focus on music is composing spacesynth, italodisco and eurobeat. I still have a lot to learn on making a good composition, but I already have some good ideas on cool synth-riffs. In the end I'm all about the melody and creating a catchy tune. ATM I'm busy with some illustration and manga deadlines and the project party, so making music is now on hold.

I repair Olympus Biological and Industrial microscopes at university, hospitals, labs, Intel, Emcore, Sandia & Los Alamos labs.

The work is repetitious but my boss is in 1000 miles away so I never see him. The scenery changes weekly so thats a plus. 

Martijn Meerts

Started a new job last week. Officially my contract starts the 1st of september, but I'm getting an early start ;) The new job is also the reason I've been a bit absent recently ...

I'm now a "mobile web service developer" (it's really nothing more than coding html/css optimized for mobile devices ;)) at a tiny company in Maastricht. I'll likely also be developing native apps for iPhone, iPad, Android etc. eventually.

The reason it's causing me to be a bit inactive, is that Maastricht is about 1 hour by train from where I live, plus another 30-ish minutes walking to the train stations. Not much time/energy left after work =)

Hobby Dreamer

Congrats on the new job Martijn!

The walking part may stink at first but its great exercise so at least you have done enough if you have not time for the gym etc..

Rick